Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Super Titan matched against Gifted
08-28-2012, 06:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 08:15 AM by Yipperpants.)
Super Titan matched against Gifted
Hi,

So I started a league game and got into a match with p1noyboypj. You can probably guess who's who. I'm a bit scared to play, but I'm more curious as to how this happened.

I'm ranked 11th gifted with probably 65 games under my belt and 80-90% wins. Edit: after finishing two more games, was just promoted to masters. But question still remains. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2012, 08:19 AM
RE: Super Titan matched against Gifted
The matchmaking system first tries to find an opponent of similar skill - if it doesn't find one after some time (no details about the length of this time period are known) it will start to widen its gaze to find any opponent.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-28-2012, 09:32 AM
That is really strange. I am #16 in the latest rankings, and had a game open all yesterday which finally got filled today after 20 hours with Harti! who is #8. So if it's the case that the search "broadens" after a certain time it must be over a day, which means p1noyboypj had an open game which probably overlapped with mine, but we did not get matched together. Is the system really that narrow that #1 and #16 can't play each other?

The next question is when it widens why does it immediately widen down to gifted? It could simply search through top 100 players, even top 200 players, and find an opponent relatively quickly with more suitable skill level.

Yipperpants, can you give some more details (when started, who has first turn, etc) to see if we can get a better idea?
08-28-2012, 03:57 PM
It is also possible that the game believes Yipperpants to be playing at a high enough caliber to be matched with p1noyboypj based on his skill rating alone.

Visit Outwitters, Analysis, and You! — an epic thread of Resource, Unit, and Map Analysis!
08-28-2012, 08:33 PM
(08-28-2012 03:57 PM)NathanDetr0it Wrote:  It is also possible that the game believes Yipperpants to be playing at a high enough caliber to be matched with p1noyboypj based on his skill rating alone.

I really don't think that someone who isn't even a super-titan would be matched against the number 1 in the hidden rankings list... (If his skill rating is high enough he should already have been placed in a super-titan league).

My guess is that only the top 5 (or something) players have a high enough skill rating to be matched against p1noyboypj and if none of those starts a game for a certain amount of time (after p1noyboypj starts his game) then he is matched against the first one who starts a new game (regardless if that player is in fluffy, gifted or whatever).

If this is the case maybe it could be altered so that (after some time) you aren't matched against just anyone but someone closer to your skill-rating (e.g. p1noyboypj being matched against any other super-titan but not below that). Don't know if I was able to explain what I meant, but hopefully someone gets what I was trying to say... And like I said, just my guess.
08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
(08-28-2012 08:33 PM)Gustahl Wrote:  
(08-28-2012 03:57 PM)NathanDetr0it Wrote:  It is also possible that the game believes Yipperpants to be playing at a high enough caliber to be matched with p1noyboypj based on his skill rating alone.

I really don't think that someone who isn't even a super-titan would be matched against the number 1 in the hidden rankings list... (If his skill rating is high enough he should already have been placed in a super-titan league).

My guess is that only the top 5 (or something) players have a high enough skill rating to be matched against p1noyboypj and if none of those starts a game for a certain amount of time (after p1noyboypj starts his game) then he is matched against the first one who starts a new game (regardless if that player is in fluffy, gifted or whatever).

If this is the case maybe it could be altered so that (after some time) you aren't matched against just anyone but someone closer to your skill-rating (e.g. p1noyboypj being matched against any other super-titan but not below that). Don't know if I was able to explain what I meant, but hopefully someone gets what I was trying to say... And like I said, just my guess.

That actually does make sense and is something we are hoping the devs address soon. That is, when you queue up if there is not an instant match found you queue up a game as Player 1. When swimj was looking for an opponent, if there was someone waiting in his range he would've started as P2. But if not, he would open up his own P1 game and have to wait to be matched up. Then since p1noy and swimj are both waiting for a second player as P1, they cannot be matched up to play no matter how much time passes.
08-29-2012, 02:19 AM
Isn't this just a case of p1noyboypj's matchup timing out and matching him up with ANYONE, not necessarily someone high ranked? We know they programmed the matchmaking system to do this when it is taking too long to find an opponent.
08-29-2012, 02:37 AM
(08-29-2012 02:19 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  Isn't this just a case of p1noyboypj's matchup timing out and matching him up with ANYONE, not necessarily someone high ranked? We know they programmed the matchmaking system to do this when it is taking too long to find an opponent.

Yeah, that was what I was (trying to) say. It would seem better if the game broadened its search step by step and not letting whoever being matched against him directly (i.e. first broadening the search to all in the same division and so on). The problem being that there might be so few that the game thinks are good matches for p1noyboypj that this will happen quite often.
08-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Yipper, are you frost392 or x-onyx-x? Pinoyboy posted a couple replays versus them and if one of those is yours I'd be happy to post some advice on when/where things went wrong, if you want.
08-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Yes I have a similar problem in 2v2, we are the number 1 masters and through our last 20 most of them are clever leaguers, no partners and/or unranked. Our games have been in queue for around 2 days.

iPro Clan