Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't we have an undo button again?
01-29-2014, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 08:57 AM by ElPared.)
Why can't we have an undo button again?
I understand the whole "spawn/move a runner to get vision and then undo" problem. Nobody give me that argument, I agree with it and accept it.

But why can't we have an undo button for if the Fog of War wasn't changed by the action you want to undo? Say I accidentally spawn a runner instead of a soldier, but I can already see more than 5 spaces around my base. I can undo and then do what I meant to without it costing me the game.

I'v'e recently lost a few games because I accidentally attacked a unit instead of a base, or spawned a dumb unit when I meant to spawn something else, and it's starting to get really old to just have to deal with it. I know plenty of players do similar things with Bombshells and Brambles too.

again, I'm not saying there should just be a straight up undo button, I just want to take back things I do on accident on occasion

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2014, 09:17 AM
RE: Why can't we have an undo button again?
Simple answer: Because it's not necessary. It won't significantly improve game-play.

I make mistakes, too, and it gets frustrating. But just be more careful.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
01-29-2014, 10:17 AM
(01-29-2014 09:17 AM).Memories. Wrote:  Simple answer: Because it's not necessary. It won't significantly improve game-play.

I make mistakes, too, and it gets frustrating. But just be more careful.

if you make mistakes the ability to not make mistakes improves gameplay.

If mistakes often cost you the game, and the ability to prevent that exists, then gameplay is improved significantly.

I agree it's not necessary; erasers on pencils aren't either. I disagree that it wouldn't significantly improve gameplay though.

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
01-29-2014, 10:22 AM
I also think it would be hard to code this too.

[Image: sig.png]
01-29-2014, 10:26 AM
I don't mean to be rude, but if you notice you are making more these types of mistakes, then try not to make them the next time. You are already aware, which is a good thing, and the next step is to prevent it happening. And you will grow out of the same mistakes. It's true in life too. There is no undo button
01-29-2014, 10:40 AM
There's no more room on the UI for another button. Besides, Adam drew too many buttons already.

Seriously, though, there's no significant gameplay problem with an UNDO button provided it can only be used when the FoW isn't affected, so in theory I agree with you.

There are more important things on my wish list right now, though, like a confirmation dialog for the DONE button. So if OML was going to work on something, I'd rather it be that.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-29-2014, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 11:28 AM by ElPared.)
(01-29-2014 10:26 AM)Norahsul Wrote:  I don't mean to be rude, but if you notice you are making more these types of mistakes, then try not to make them the next time. You are already aware, which is a good thing, and the next step is to prevent it happening. And you will grow out of the same mistakes. It's true in life too. There is no undo button

"Mistake" implies I misplayed. I said "accidentally" meaning something outside of my control happened and it affected the game. Granted, sometimes I do misplay, I'm not perfect after all, but what really frustrates me is things out of my control like misread input or fumbling my device and accidentally pushing a button when I catch it (though I guess losing a game is better than having to buy a new device)

UI space is a problem, I agree, at least on the iPhone it is. Is it really necessary to have a "Help" button on the gameplay UI though? That could easily be an undo button instead, especially when the help menu is readily available in the main menu

01-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Accident does not mean our of your control.. You can consciously try to not make mistakes. Just like you can consciously avoid a car accident by paying attention to the road.

01-29-2014, 01:05 PM
(01-29-2014 12:36 PM).Memories. Wrote:  Accident does not mean our of your control.. You can consciously try to not make mistakes. Just like you can consciously avoid a car accident by paying attention to the road.

and yet people who are paying attention still get into accidents due to circumstances outside their control (wet/icy roads or mechanical failure perhaps)

sorry, but I'm tired of "don't do that" being what I have to deal with as far as mistakes go. I do my best to not make mistakes but they still happen, and I'd like to be able to undo them on occasion, is that too much to ask?

01-29-2014, 01:14 PM
I don't want to argue with you. I'm just trying to say that it is too much to ask. I'll butt out.