Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Option to turn on ads?
06-03-2013, 12:15 PM
RE: Option to turn on ads?
Oh, that makes sense

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2013, 06:06 PM
For those that haven't seen them, in typical OML style, the ads (which appear every 5 turns or so) are the most pleasing, inoffensive in app advertising I have ever come across. They come in full page format with a clear remove "x" and then let you play the game as normal. No permanent banners with scrolling graphics to distract you or limit the games viewing area. I'd turn it on Smile

Everything Changes
06-04-2013, 08:14 AM
See? More reason to add more content to Outwitters Big Grin you have a pretty active forum with people chomping at the bit for ways to pay you guys.

In all seriousness, though. Im not really sure it would be worth their time atm. TTL2 is most likely gonna make more money than an extra team pack.

Gifted League Gamecenter:Phyresis
OSN Profile
Wolfpack on OSN
WE ARE THE WOLFPACK!
06-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Appreciate the sentiment! Ads help make a dent in server costs, but in-app purchases are still the main driver for Outwitters.

Looking at recent forum posts, seems a lot are mistaking our intentions. Outwitters was never planned to be a "forever in development" game. We aren't a VC funded operation with millions to burn through on endless content for a single game. We had a very specific set of goals. We set out to make a very small, approachable multiplayer strategy game. We had some post release plans, none of which were set in stone, but were able to execute on a few of them before starting a next project. So when I hear people saying how disappointed/sad they are with no new content in the pipeline, while understandable, is somewhat frustrating. Frustrating in the fact that even if Outwitters was a smashing success financially, we still wouldn't be in the content game and would most likely still be onto TTL2 at around the same time.

When it comes to the design of the game, Adam and I tend to feel it's as "complete" as it'll get. New teams, maps, etc are just gravy and in the end are meddling with the initial design that we felt was decently fun already. Constantly adding to the design is not necessarily a good thing, depending on the game. It's almost like saying people are sad no new content for Chess is coming out. We've had a ton of ideas to add to Outwitters but opted not to because we felt it better to take those ideas and put in a future game rather than needlessly complicate this one.

With that said, Outwitters is still being supported! We still answer support emails. A lot of my work on a daily basis involving Outwitters is on the backend, trying to keep things running smoothly. And I'm also looking for ways to improve the services as it stands now, to ensure Outwitters online functionality will work for years to come.

So, while there isn't a new team or shiny new feature coming, we're still committed to keeping the game running Smile.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan
06-05-2013, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 11:21 AM by (Rone).)
Very interesting Adam.

However I do believe not adding more content and ways to increase revenue are two different things.

For example, adding the rest of the themed Gen II maps is not directly attempting to get more money for the game. The reason does not have the intention for getting money, however it is adding to the game and will engage current players and old players to find more interest in the game therefore allowing a little tid bits of extra money will go to making this game last longer.

If financially you can't really continue with the game and therefore their is no reason to add more maps. We as the community that have nothing direct to persuade you with suggest why not allow OMC person's created maps to be added into the purchase of Generation II maps or possibly Generation three maps.

Starcraft openly allowed people to create their own maps and sumbit them to Blizzard online and therefore they added many times new maps through small patches or along with other bigger patches. I remember once they added something a small number of maps for a fast patch. For free people summited them and it was added. Some of those maps became famous and commonly played on, especially for training and learning some basic strategies.
Or how about require people spend money to play OMC's people created maps in Outwitters and part or all the money go to maintaining the Outwitters.

Proud Gifted League 1v1 http://osn.codepenguin.com/players/view/25336
[Image: sig.png]
06-05-2013, 12:01 PM
(06-05-2013 10:00 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  With that said, Outwitters is still being supported! We still answer support emails. A lot of my work on a daily basis involving Outwitters is on the backend, trying to keep things running smoothly. And I'm also looking for ways to improve the services as it stands now, to ensure Outwitters online functionality will work for years to come.

So, while there isn't a new team or shiny new feature coming, we're still committed to keeping the game running Smile.

That's all I'm hoping for and it's great to hear it!

As for content, I actually was worried about a potential 5th team ever since the Veggienauts were released. Balance is hard enough with only 3 or 4 teams so I'm glad there won't be a 5th one added in ranked play. I do like new maps though, but of course I understand if that's not possible. Again, my main concern was Outwitters losing its online functionality at some point due to the servers going offline. Glad to see this won't be happening any time soon and thanks for all the work you and Adam put into supporting and updating this fantastic game! =)
06-05-2013, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 06:26 PM by =) Random Task (=.)
(06-05-2013 10:00 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  Appreciate the sentiment! Ads help make a dent in server costs, but in-app purchases are still the main driver for Outwitters.

Looking at recent forum posts, seems a lot are mistaking our intentions. Outwitters was never planned to be a "forever in development" game. We aren't a VC funded operation with millions to burn through on endless content for a single game. We had a very specific set of goals. We set out to make a very small, approachable multiplayer strategy game. We had some post release plans, none of which were set in stone, but were able to execute on a few of them before starting a next project. So when I hear people saying how disappointed/sad they are with no new content in the pipeline, while understandable, is somewhat frustrating. Frustrating in the fact that even if Outwitters was a smashing success financially, we still wouldn't be in the content game and would most likely still be onto TTL2 at around the same time.

When it comes to the design of the game, Adam and I tend to feel it's as "complete" as it'll get. New teams, maps, etc are just gravy and in the end are meddling with the initial design that we felt was decently fun already. Constantly adding to the design is not necessarily a good thing, depending on the game. It's almost like saying people are sad no new content for Chess is coming out. We've had a ton of ideas to add to Outwitters but opted not to because we felt it better to take those ideas and put in a future game rather than needlessly complicate this one.

With that said, Outwitters is still being supported! We still answer support emails. A lot of my work on a daily basis involving Outwitters is on the backend, trying to keep things running smoothly. And I'm also looking for ways to improve the services as it stands now, to ensure Outwitters online functionality will work for years to come.

Thank you Alex! I think this thoroughly worded explanation of your intentions was important to be made. It is reassuring that you intend to keep the game running "for years to come" as I very much believe it not only has the potential but is already a classic which will stand out as a great strategy game for a long time.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
06-08-2013, 01:34 AM
I doubt they can do it, but I will pay for a history of my results. Who I beat, who I lost too? Which map, who went first? Anybody else will to pay? I'd pay a lot for it too.