Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobi visibility change
11-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Mobi visibility change
Not sure if this has already been discussed. As you know there was a change to the mobi with the update, which is that mobi is visible in the fog of war when he warps a unit. I assumed this meant that mobi would only be visible when warping an otherwise visible unit. However, I noticed yesterday that mobi warped a unit from within the fog of war, and yet mobi still appeared. This was fairly important since I then knew that mobi had moved from the position where he was previously. This is unfair to adorables players and should be changed - mobi should only be visible when warping a unit who is otherwise visible (outside of the fog of war).

Has anyone else noticed this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2012, 01:06 AM
RE: Mobi visibility change
Yeah, I'm hoping it's just an oversight, bug, or a misunderstanding of what we were asking for. Many mobi tactics rely on the element of surprise, and, well, this kills that.
11-29-2012, 03:35 AM
I just came here to post the same thing, my opponent warped using a mobi deep in the fog of war, pretty much telegraphing his exact setup to me unknowingly...this intended?
11-29-2012, 03:42 AM
I think this goes in the same category as the bramble audio occurring within the fog of war for Veggienauts players. Not fair.
11-29-2012, 05:18 AM
Yeah provided you read the update description, it says that Mobi is being displayed purposely.

If I was Alex or Adam, I'd be shaking my head disappointedly now - whatever they do is wrong.

-- Mobi is not being displayed?
=> ERMAGERD MY ERPPERNENT CHEATS!!!!

-- Mobi is being displayed? (so as to fix the former)
=> ERMAGERD MY ERPPERNENT KNERS WHERE IT IS!!!!

As for the Bramble barriers, I wouldn't say it's "unfair". You can merely tell the amount of barriers your opponent's got around. Usually when no action occurs during two consecutive turns, you're already aware of a Bramble being around. I think it's to limit the extent of your jaw dropping when hitting a concrete wall of Bramble's barriers.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
11-29-2012, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2012 05:59 AM by GreatGonzales.)
(11-29-2012 05:18 AM)Harti Wrote:  Yeah provided you read the update description, it says that Mobi is being displayed purposely.

If I was Alex or Adam, I'd be shaking my head disappointedly now - whatever they do is wrong.

-- Mobi is not being displayed?
=> ERMAGERD MY ERPPERNENT CHEATS!!!!

-- Mobi is being displayed? (so as to fix the former)
=> ERMAGERD MY ERPPERNENT KNERS WHERE IT IS!!!!

As for the Bramble barriers, I wouldn't say it's "unfair". You can merely tell the amount of barriers your opponent's got around. Usually when no action occurs during two consecutive turns, you're already aware of a Bramble being around. I think it's to limit the extent of your jaw dropping when hitting a concrete wall of Bramble's barriers.

I must strongly disagree!

I'm fine with Mobi being visible in the fog of war, provided that the unit he is warping is NOT in the fog of war. We obviously know that there is a Mobi on the board when a unit moves twice and zooms backwards into the fog of war. However, now the adorables have lost a significant element of surprise whenever they warp anyone on the board, regardless of whether the unit is already visible by their opponent. I am currently in a match where this made a difference.

The bramble audio thing is unfair to Veggienauts players for two reasons: 1. The opponent knows that they have created a bramble (especially relevant on maps with only 1 spawn), 2. The opponent can better figure out how wits are being spent. Why coddle a player by telling them exactly how many brambles to expect in the fog of war? They can scout if they want to know what's in the fog of war, that's the point of fog of war.

It's too early to discuss balance changes resulting from the update, but these are noteworthy disadvantages to using adorables and veggienauts. This is basically the same as making a bombshell visible in fog of war when it shells (although granted, that would be an even worse change).
11-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Harti, I could be wrong but I think you're missing a distinction.

Mobi sucks a visible unit and spits out into fog
Before: you see a unit magically move to the tile Mobi is on
Now: you also see Mobi

This is the situation where people were lobbying to make Mobi visible. His position is already being given away, so why not make it clear that Mobi is doing it and not dark magic

Mobi sucks a fogged unit and spits out into fog
Before: you have no idea this happened
Now: you see Mobi

In this situation, the opponent is gaining knowledge that wasn't available pre-patch. This is what Gonzales is referring to.
11-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Relatedly: is Mobi a boy or a girl? I assumed boy since I'm sexist, but...
11-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Yeah, this doesn't really make any sense. I can see the justification for showing mobi when the unit is visible, but when both are hidden, it just doesn't make any sense. I think wonder pug explained it best. I would suggest fixing this ASAP.
11-29-2012, 09:53 AM
(11-29-2012 07:59 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  Relatedly: is Mobi a boy or a girl? I assumed boy since I'm sexist, but...

Im pretty sure mobi is a reference to the whale from moby dick, moby, who although I haven't read the book I am assuming is a male (because I to am sexist). However the adorables are quite adorable and I do not think that any male could be adorable, therefore I'm going to have go with female.