Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
2v2 Random OPEN -- let's try again.
10-31-2012, 10:22 PM
RE: 2v2 Random OPEN -- taking signups!
I'm definitely interested. This is my first tournament but it sounds awesome!

wbgoldsmith
wbgoldsmith
U.S.
Clever, #9
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Azzy_23
azzy_23
Russian
Gifted 52
11-01-2012, 03:23 AM
sounds cool

~M1les
US
Gifted 47
11-01-2012, 04:22 AM
Drawkcab
beccariches
English
Fluffy, #15
62 points
11-01-2012, 04:34 AM
Super Haole/Super Haole/USA/Gifted/#5/247
11-01-2012, 04:39 AM
Whoa Gfich, seems like your Tournament gets stormed with all that publicity Big Grin

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
11-01-2012, 04:50 AM
oh sorry Gfich forgot to mention other stuff. Im in gifted and i have around 200 points in 2v2
11-01-2012, 05:16 AM
E man124
E man124
USA
Clever#35
11-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Those slots sure filled up fast. If there is still room please sign me up.

Frgwtchr/frgwtchr/US/gifted #2(1v1) with 1242 pts. Clever #49 (with same partner, not random I think?) 42 pts
11-01-2012, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 06:47 AM by Gf!sh.)
O, my, GOD! So many signups! We're on 44 and counting! This is just amazing! Big Grin

This quote comes from page 2, where me and Aaron were discussing the setup of this tournament:
(10-25-2012 05:25 AM)Gfich Wrote:  I've rethought the structure a bit, and i kinda scratched the elimination part, because i discovered a major flaw in there.

Anyway, i've brainstormed a bit, and came up with the following (side notes are in braces):

2v2 Random tournament

Participants: 24

First phase

The participants get divided in two groups; each group will do a Swiss of 4 rounds. In each round, each participant will be paired to another one in his group, and play 2 games against him, once as P1/3, once as P2/4. This will be his main opponent. For each round, one map will be selected {query: randomly or 'most annoying first'?}. Each pair will be paired to another pair from the other group per game {because having the same teammate for two games would take away the randomness a bit}, for example:

Participant A is seeded against B, and they are paired to C and D for the first game, and to E and F for the second one.

Teams:
Game one: A/C-B/D
Game two: F/B-E/A

This will make for one round, and points will be awarded like so:
Win: 1 point
Draw: 0.5 point
Loss: 0 points

This process continues over all four rounds, after which the rankings will be made up.
Tie beaking
  1. Buchholz score (all opponents) divided by Buchholz regarding teammates
  2. Sonneborn-Berger score (also divided by Sonneborn-Berger regarding teammates)
  3. Most wins
{i didn't include head-to-head because it could get a bit unfair if you got stronger teammates in that round}

The top 4 {5? 6?} of each group will proceed to the second phase, where the same procedure gets repeated, to declare a winner at the end.

Also, this tournament won't start until the update arrives.

I like to hear some opinions!

In regards to the amount of signups i've decided to use a qualification round, which WILL be elimination (unlike what i've said earlier). I will most likely stick to 24 competitors 'surviving' the quals, and allow 58-64 in it. This relies mostly on the distribution of 2v2r-ranked vs non-2v2r-ranked, which i will explain below.

For the second phase, i also want to reintroduce elimination, mainly because of the following reason:

End with Swiss:

Enourmous drama (quals) -> little drama (phase 1) -> average drama (phase 2)

It does not really have a interesting climax...

End with elimination:

Enourmous drama -> little drama -> UBER INSANE DRAMA!

That's how we like it!

The major flaw i was talking about was this:

Say, A, B, C and D take on a elimination (technically, because of the 2v2-random part, a round-robin of 4):

Seedings:
A/B vs C/D - C/D vs A/B
A/C vs B/D - B/D vs A/C
A/D vs B/C - B/C vs A/D

If 3 competitors draw for first place, we can't easily make a tie-breaker game, because you would need 4 players for that.
Now I came up with a fix for that, and it is to treat the scorings 1v1 instead of 4-player. Example:

A and B are matched against eachother and play with C and D:
Seedings:
A/C vs B/D - B/D vs A/C
A/D vs B/C - B/C vs A/D

In the case of A and B drawing and C and D ending 4-0, the tiebreaker game will be played immediately, at the same time as the other 4 matches. Because there's no way 3 players can draw, this will always make a winner.

Now, for the qualification rounds, I was thinking to use seperate qualifications for 2v2r-ranked and non-2v2r-ranked. The reason is that i want 2v2r-ranked to have a slight advantage for surviving the quals, but not immediately set the rest to a impossible challenge.

By the way, there were many people who didn't point out wether there signups regard to 2v2r or not, i've currently set them on the second list, but i want to fill out all the gaps, as it's probaly benefitial for you.

Looking at the current signups, the balance seems to go towards 18:40, so that would probaly make a slot balance of 9:15 (1/2 of first list, 3/8 of second list). Acutally, this seems to be the best outcome to me, altough it's heavily relying on the balance of the signups. In general, anyone past #56 will be put on a reserve list.

As far as the starting date goes, I have two solid 'rules':
Not before the update (various reasons)
Not before November 16th, although that's more personal: next week is test week on school, and on the 16th, i will be doing this (well, the national version, to be precise)

I will be using mostly PM (private messaging) to inform everyone about the tournament, so don't forget to check the forums!