Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.36 Average
Outwitters WORLD CUP Winner - Alvendor (SWEDEN)
09-02-2012, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 05:36 PM by awpertunity.)
RE: Outwitters WORLD CUP Signups (4 slots left)
(09-02-2012 02:51 PM)CombatEX Wrote:  So any thoughts on my suggestion to make 2-0 W always worth more points than a 1-1 D? It just doesn't make sense to me that you can get fewer points for winning more games =/ The goal of Outwitters is to win games right?

Basically I think one should get some base points for a W or D (more for W of course) and that the tiebreaker awards relatively fewer points. The win should be the main point determiner while the tiebreaker is, well, a tiebreaker (gives a few extra points). My suggestion above is still the same even with the tiebreaker being turns instead of health, just modify the bonus points from the tiebreaker.

On a side note, I do like the change to turns over base health =)

A Win is still always better than a Draw. A win gives you 3 total PTS while a draw only gives you 1 PTS. Even if you get a higher +/- from the draw, this is secondary to total PTS (and this is the World Cup format).

Example, assume we are thinking soccer since scoring is trivial to think about there. If we set a match to two games it is still better to win both games 1-0 than to win one game 5-0 and lose one game 1-0.

In the first case you get 3 total PTS with a +/- of +2.
In the second case you only get 1 total PTS with a +/- of +4.

Yes, your Goals For are higher because you scored more points, but that is secondary to the 2 additional PTS you get. So a Win is still always better than a Draw.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2012, 07:32 PM
RE: Outwitters WORLD CUP Signups (6 slots left)
(09-02-2012 10:51 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 04:29 AM)P1noyboypj Wrote:  I think total rounds it takes to win is a better indicator than health left on a base on how a game went.

Yes thinking it over I think you and the people saying this are right. The longer a game takes in general, the more hard-fought/closer of a match is must have been. I was just worried that this would lead to a gigantic turtle-fest, but the extra upside is that there will be even smaller chances of a complete tie.

I will try to find a way to use this as opposed to base health...

(09-02-2012 08:23 AM)Ravernoth Wrote:  Would you consider randomly assigning maps to the Group stages as well like you did for the knockout stages? That's probably fairest and the best way to minimize maps with FTA.

The problem I see with random maps in group play is the non-uniformity. This would actually make FTA a bigger problem (what if you get assigned the largest FTA map as P2 and the smallest FTA maps as P1?)

The fair way to do it with be that the map is the same for each group, but I don't really like the idea of playing 6 games on the same map at the same time.

Okay, I have changed the rules of Group Play to use # of turns taken to determine points as opposed to remaining base health. Please read the new rules. And of course, suggestions and criticisms will be very helpful and much appreciated!

That looks good!

Re: maps, what about a compromise - not the same map for each group, but the same map for each match (each player plays against the other twice on one map).
09-02-2012, 08:08 PM
(09-02-2012 07:32 PM)Ravernoth Wrote:  Re: maps, what about a compromise - not the same map for each group, but the same map for each match (each player plays against the other twice on one map).

There is one (small?) issue with fixed maps that I was going to mention before the elimination stage of the tournament. This is that players who have not purchased all the teams will not be able to create games on those teams' maps. This means, there is no way to make these players get to go first on these maps.

For the elimination stage I was going to point out that if you have not purchased the team for the map that is to be played, you are forfeiting your right to be P1 and must play two games as P2 which is a clear disadvantage.

I figured out of 32 players here, not everyone has purchased the all teams pack, and don't want to penalize them so hard in the Group Play (as that part is really the "for fun" part).

I can put this to a vote though. I can easily assign each match a specific map, but there will likely be players unable to be P1 on some of them.

I'm going to Vegas now till Tuesday but will go with the majority of what people say when I get back. For now, I have updated the OWC.pdf file so you can see the map rotation I have for the elimination stage. I'm considering changing the RO16 map to Peekaboo. But all these map choices can be discussed here too.
09-02-2012, 09:24 PM
(09-02-2012 08:08 PM)awpertunity Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 07:32 PM)Ravernoth Wrote:  Re: maps, what about a compromise - not the same map for each group, but the same map for each match (each player plays against the other twice on one map).

There is one (small?) issue with fixed maps that I was going to mention before the elimination stage of the tournament. This is that players who have not purchased all the teams will not be able to create games on those teams' maps. This means, there is no way to make these players get to go first on these maps.

For the elimination stage I was going to point out that if you have not purchased the team for the map that is to be played, you are forfeiting your right to be P1 and must play two games as P2 which is a clear disadvantage.

I figured out of 32 players here, not everyone has purchased the all teams pack, and don't want to penalize them so hard in the Group Play (as that part is really the "for fun" part).

I can put this to a vote though. I can easily assign each match a specific map, but there will likely be players unable to be P1 on some of them.

I'm going to Vegas now till Tuesday but will go with the majority of what people say when I get back. For now, I have updated the OWC.pdf file so you can see the map rotation I have for the elimination stage. I'm considering changing the RO16 map to Peekaboo. But all these map choices can be discussed here too.

Good point, that hadn't occurred to me. I would have thought that it would affect very few if any of the 32.

If you're involved enough in the game to be deep into league play and participating in this tournament, a couple bucks is a fair price Smile

PDF looks good, maps as well, Peekaboo may be a good change.
09-02-2012, 10:09 PM
RE: Outwitters WORLD CUP Signups (3 slots left)
Oh sorry awpertunity, I forgot to put my points, I have 1104 at the moment

Proud Member of the Diamond League!

Will Scramble for Wits - My journey in Outwitters

(12-29-2012 12:04 PM)worldfamous Wrote:  He probably only called scrambler gay because you penetrated him with it. Big Grin
09-03-2012, 12:13 AM
RE: Outwitters WORLD CUP Signups (3 slots left)
ukiyulee
Canada
gifted/404/63
09-03-2012, 01:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 02:01 AM by synphonics.)
RE: Outwitters WORLD CUP Signups (2 slots left)
1) silent)
2) USA
3) Cifted, 1201, 2
09-03-2012, 03:10 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 03:12 AM by Harti.)
RE: Outwitters WORLD CUP Signups (1 slot left!)
Phew, almost missed that. Make sure to PM me next time when something that big happens! :o

Harti!
GER
TOP 100 Rank 7.

Please do start the round only after the Patch update arrives (or did it already?). It'll contain a Foundry fix.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
09-03-2012, 04:29 AM
RE: Outwitters WORLD CUP Signups (1 slot left!)
(09-03-2012 03:10 AM)Harti Wrote:  Phew, almost missed that. Make sure to PM me next time when something that big happens! :o

Harti!
GER
TOP 100 Rank 7.

Please do start the round only after the Patch update arrives (or did it already?). It'll contain a Foundry fix.

Ahh you just made the cut! matches won't start until Tuesday at the earliest. We'll see how the patch is doing then. I will post the finals Groups then as well.Group map decision is still up for discussion!
09-03-2012, 04:48 AM
RE: Outwitters WORLD CUP Signups CLOSED
Patch was sent to Apple on August 31.

I AM THE 99.9997%!

[Image: sig.png]