Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Found Someone Cheating (Replay Attached). How do I get them banned?
07-30-2012, 01:22 AM
RE: Found Someone Cheating (Replay Attached). How do I get them banned?
(07-30-2012 12:04 AM)Mizywill Wrote:  Click here to see a cheater in action, starts on the 10th move. Maybe he was playing legit for a while but then was looking for a way to not lose.

I tried doing a mental count a few times and I really do think this guy is cheating too, and I actually thought he just made a good comeback.

I believe it becomes obvious around move 14, before that he was indeed conserving his wits so had plenty to spare but then he starts to use them up and totally abandons the wit spots.

Please review and let me know if I'm correct.

Thanks.
It's kind of disheartening if this guy was cheating because I was taking a break after a good Losing streak and thought I had this one in the bag ...

He starts cheating on move 10, pretty sure of this. Is it possible to have this player banned as well? Also, will there be Point corrections for games lost to cheaters? I know this may be difficult to do.

I didn't count wits but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. If you can supply turn by turn wit counts it might be more clear. What do you mean by "abandoning wit spots"? You realize that a unit does not have to be constantly standing on a wit space to get the bonus, right? Once it turns your color (red) you keep getting the bonus until an enemy jumps on it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2012, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 04:15 AM by Mizywill.)
I removed my post and will review. I think I was misunderstanding this concept of the wit spot, which sucks because I think a few others have soaked it to me but I was still not getting it.

I Don't think I ever noticed that I got wits from a spot I had left before. Thanks for the clarification swimj and I'll repost if I can confirm abuse.

I'm confident now that there was no cheating in the game I posted and removed. I verified up until turn 20 when my opponent placed a bombshell. It was misunderstanding of wit spots and my opponenent taking one of my spots on turn 16 that allowed for him to place the bombshell and turn the tide of the game.

My apologies and thank you to those that pointed this out to me.
07-30-2012, 01:41 AM
I actually did the wit counting for mizywill's replay and I couldn't find anything suspicious. He just saves up wits at start and for a big portion in the game he has 8 income over mizywill's 6 by controlling enough +wit spaces.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
07-30-2012, 01:54 AM
As a side note to this discussion, I think it stresses the importance of adding Wit display in replays. It would make it a much simpler affair to catch hackers (in addition to the fact that it's just a nice feature for watching replays in general).

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
07-30-2012, 02:01 AM
(07-30-2012 01:54 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  As a side note to this discussion, I think it stresses the importance of adding Wit display in replays. It would make it a much simpler affair to catch hackers (in addition to the fact that it's just a nice feature for watching replays in general).

This would be a wonderful addition and I've often thought why aren't they displayed. And although the guy in my game may not have been cheating, I just misunderstood the wit spots, this suggestion would help catch the non-blatant cheaters. Like if someone just sneaks out an extra runner vs a bombshell.
07-30-2012, 02:12 AM
Yea exactly. I figure that not all hackers will be so obvious. Without a wit display feature in replays it would be easy to sneak out an extra soldier or take an extra move/attack action here and there (which can make a HUGE difference but would be relatively hard to detect in a lengthy game).

07-30-2012, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 02:43 AM by Harti.)
I wonder if these are actually modified footprints within the app's sandbox (by performing dissection on a jailbroken device) which get sent to the server or if there's another glitch we weren't able to spot during beta...

Either way, it sucks to hear that and as I said it was just a matter of time. However, there is no way the server can check ANY action a player makes. It would be far too much to calculate.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
07-30-2012, 03:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 03:39 AM by Mizywill.)
I'm thinking maybe it could just show a players starting wits each turn. It should help someone in review to determine if there was something wrong and shouldn't be too different than storing starting unit placement data for each turn, I would think. As it is with the release of the hacks now someone has to try to calculate their opponents wits from the start of the game if they suspect something.
07-30-2012, 03:54 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 03:56 AM by CombatEX.)
(07-30-2012 02:42 AM)Harti Wrote:  However, there is no way the server can check ANY action a player makes. It would be far too much to calculate.

Which is precisely why it would be great if OML could implement wit display in replays so players can just see for themselves if someone is cheating. But all that aside, even without hacking being an issue, people have requested this feature in the past as a useful tool. You can see resource/army supply/etc in replays in SC2. The fact that replays are even saveable in Outwitters is already a wonderful addition. I just hope that OML plans to improve upon them sometime down the road. Adding things like resource counter (wits) and toggeable FoW between each player like in SC2. But yea, any additions like this will have to wait until game stability is improved in the next update as that is OML's current priority.

07-30-2012, 04:12 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 04:12 AM by Harti.)
Agreed^

I was actually trying to get a informatics people discussion rolling about how this could be prevented at all. I mean, it still stucks if you lose points or even get demoted or lose in a tournament because of that and the only way to catch it is way afterwards in the replay.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]