Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should I do?
07-16-2012, 07:24 PM
What should I do?
I'm playing a match on Peekaboo (76th turn =.=) and my opponent has me locked down with (as far as I can see) 2 soldiers, a heavy, a runner and 3 bombshells, and I only control a couple tile "layers" around my base because of the bombshells' splash damage. I have no idea what to do now to break out. I currently have a soldier, a heavy, a bombshell, a medic and a sniper. All of his and my units are buffed. None of my units can reach him and attack except runners which will just cost me wits and die uselessly. If anyone has any ideas on how to get out of this situation it would be much appreciated.

Another of my matches is on Long Nine (turn 53) and after turn 30 or so we both turtled really hard and are now in entrenched positions. I have 9 buffed soldiers walling off my side of the map with 2 snipers, 2 medics and 2 bombshells as support. As far as I can see he has 2 heavies, at least 5 soldiers, at least 3 runners and at least 4 snipers. He has been saving up wits for the past 2 turns (or he's been misclicking a lot). Should I go in and attack or keep defending and waiting to see what will happen?

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2012, 07:44 PM
RE: What should I do?
For the first game, if he has the wits to get out 3 bombshells I think he's just teasing you. The more you build up, the more he builds up. IMO I don't thi k you can win for this one.

If you have been saving up, attack IF he HASN'T been saving up. If he has been saving up, idk. It is good to have snipers on your half of the map but if he engages he will get the first hit off.
07-17-2012, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2012 01:51 AM by Sichas.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZGV_BcUIZQ

Audio gets better a few seconds in.

But. This is the first thing I thought of.
07-17-2012, 07:00 AM
I've found games where both players are playing defensively happening more often lately. I never know what to do either. At a certain point it becomes impossible to think through the consequences for your moves. It seems like whoever moves first tends to give up his position and lose. These games are boring, but what can you do about them?

Was there any thought given during development to a unit limit? Any reasons not to have one?

Is there a limit on how many wits you can stock up?
07-17-2012, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2012 07:04 AM by Kamikaze28.)
(07-17-2012 07:00 AM)Sakiehl Wrote:  Was there any thought given during development to a unit limit? Any reasons not to have one?
Every map consists of a limited amount of hexes, therefore the number of units is limited.
Attrition did happen during beta, but it was not considered something that should be discouraged. When resources are piled up on both sides, the usage of these resources decides the outcome - just like in a low number of units positioning game. I don't find these kinds of games boring at all.

(07-17-2012 07:00 AM)Sakiehl Wrote:  Is there a limit on how many wits you can stock up?
In theory: no - in practice: yes. During the hot phase of a game, I'd say you will never go above 12 or 13.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-17-2012, 10:14 AM
There's no limit to how many wits you can stock up, but there's a limit to how many you can use. Wits aren't the only limited resource in the game -- board space (there's only so many hexes), position (there's only so many hexes from which a given unit can reach the front in one/two turns), and spawns (you can only make 1 or 2 new units per turn) are all limited.

So if you both sit there filling up the board, it's likely that whoever has more board space to use will win -- even if they take casualties on their rush, they should be able to come out ahead in units after all the trading.

I can imagine a few stalemates -- armies of bombshells will obviously sit out of range of each other, unable to rush because they can't attack the same turn that they move.

Two armies of scramblers facing each other raise the possibility of a chain reaction -- if one scrambler makes it to the other army it can take over the entire thing, given enough wits.
07-17-2012, 12:28 PM
What is the limit to how many wits you can use? Is it just how many units you have?

It does make me appreciate the runner. It gives the game some agility.
07-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:What is the limit to how many wits you can use? Is it just how many units you have?

Right, you can't use more than 2 wits/unit (move + attack/heal/teleport) per turn, plus spawning costs.
07-17-2012, 06:40 PM
(07-17-2012 01:18 PM)Glorishears Wrote:  
Quote:What is the limit to how many wits you can use? Is it just how many units you have?

Right, you can't use more than 2 wits/unit (move + attack/heal/teleport) per turn, plus spawning costs.
Bombshell can unshell-move-shell, so that's 3 Tongue

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
07-18-2012, 02:01 AM
(07-17-2012 06:40 PM)Harti Wrote:  
(07-17-2012 01:18 PM)Glorishears Wrote:  

Bombshell can unshell-move-shell, so that's 3 Tongue

I should just try it out, but can a bombshell fire-unshell-move-shell?