Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Notify Opponent Button?
07-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Information Notify Opponent Button?
I think it would be reasonable for OML to implement a "Take your turn!" button. You could add an option to send a push notification (once a day, you trolls Wink) that will remind your opponent to hurry up. I imagine it wouldnt be too hard to implement it, but what do i know ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2012, 10:40 AM
RE: Notify Opponent Button?
Heh, good idea, also had that in mind. However, what would you do if your opponent doesn't respond to the reminder?
Usually they won't have forgotten about the game and if they have, they'll receive a reminder from the servers after three days have passed.

After I had pondered about it but before I posted the idea to the forums I found that it would be kinda useless: Sadly, if someone considers themselves in losing position and wants to stall the game, they won't make their move just because you remind them to, they'll do it whenever they want. If someone is just busy with life, they won't magically receive some time from the reminder they received.
And if someone is really dedicated to the game they'll always take their turn frequently, so there wouldn't be any need for it either.

From the remaining 20 per cent of users, 15 per cent probably uninstalled the app and won't receive any notifications anyway. And the remaining 5 who forgot about their turn... well... you'll just have to wait for them.

(It also would be quite annoying to receive such reminders. Imagine you get 20 of these each day!)

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
07-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Well it would be more of a chance thing, just to let the guy know hes holding someone up. And i said in the OP that it would be useable once a day, and an active player wouldnt have any trouble. I could see how 20 game reminders could be annoying, but you could just turn notifications off Big Grin.
07-16-2012, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2012 11:05 AM by Harti.)
(07-16-2012 10:45 AM)SwagUp Wrote:  I could see how 20 game reminders could be annoying, but you could just turn notifications off Big Grin.

What's the point of the additional button then (if you want the additional button to cause people to turn off notifications - which in fact would be the exact opposite of what you want to achive)? O_O

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
07-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Isn't sending them a chat notice telling them you'll appreciate it if the moved sufficient? Seems that would suffice. But unfortunately both are ultimately useless, they know what they're doing and a reminder most likely won't change their minds.
07-16-2012, 02:13 PM
(07-16-2012 12:39 PM)Mizywill Wrote:  Isn't sending them a chat notice telling them you'll appreciate it if the moved sufficient? Seems that would suffice. But unfortunately both are ultimately useless, they know what they're doing and a reminder most likely won't change their minds.

To be honest, I find even this annoying. If I have not taken my turn, there is a reason, like being busy, etc. Reading a notice from another player when I log in to take my turn, telling me to take my turn, doesn't do a whole lot.
07-16-2012, 03:16 PM
That will be annoying. I have turned notifications off on purpose so I can actually try to keep it is an async game. Some players seem to not get that. A realtime play option for those players might be better, instead of adding ways to annoy us who wants to play async.
07-16-2012, 03:52 PM
My personal opinion is that for the people that are impatiently waiting for opponents to make their move (including me), I think the notifications and badges are sufficient because otherwise the opponents could get annoyed with all of the notifications/pop-ups from the game and delete it. Instead, just let the game wait out for however many days it is until they are forced to forfeit (4 days currently), and claim the win Tongue
07-16-2012, 10:40 PM
As pointed out by the rest of the people here, seems that it could be abused easily.
07-18-2012, 03:20 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2012 03:23 AM by Mizywill.)
(07-16-2012 02:13 PM)Kirenx Wrote:  
(07-16-2012 12:39 PM)Mizywill Wrote:  Isn't sending them a chat notice telling them you'll appreciate it if the moved sufficient? Seems that would suffice. But unfortunately both are ultimately useless, they know what they're doing and a reminder most likely won't change their minds.

To be honest, I find even this annoying. If I have not taken my turn, there is a reason, like being busy, etc. Reading a notice from another player when I log in to take my turn, telling me to take my turn, doesn't do a whole lot.

Agreed and I think the only time I sent a "what's up chat" was when a 2v2 game was 3 days old. However, annoying or not to the inactive player it's a good way for the waiting player to know if the game is actually still going on, that you haven't given up or stopped playing all together.

That's why I think it's a courtesy to inform opponents if you'll be away for a while or only play intermittently either at the start of the game or the end of your last move. This would be a good practice especially if you don't return to play until the next day, in my opinion. But you know what they say about opinions...