Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Messed up system
07-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Messed up system
My friend gave up all of her placement matches and was placed in gifted.
Then she gave up her next match and was put in masters.
I'll give updates b/c she will keep giving up games...
Oml might want to fix this...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2012, 08:30 AM
RE: Messed up system
What stats did she have before?
It could well be that she had a massive winning streak but th system didn't believe her because she wouldn't ever lose. Or something like that.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
07-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Zero league wins
07-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Haha.

I've seen people with 1 league win and placed in super titan o-o
07-13-2012, 04:19 AM
4-1 placements and got into gifted
Meanwhile she keeps giving up games w/o being demoted...
Is there a thread that explains how league points, demotions and promotions work?
07-13-2012, 04:34 AM
I don't think that losing every game will work on the long term. I also think that once she won a few games she could get DEmoted by that. Somebody explained it in another thread, I forgot to save the link for reference though...

(Note: this is from the top of my head, I haven't played nor have had insight into SC2)
In SC2 there's two ratings: One skill rating and one reliability rating. The reliability rating is there to check if the skill-matching algorithm behaves correctly or not. If someone from Master League gets only paired to Fluffy League people and has a win ratio of 100%, they may or may not get promoted. If they don't it's the reliability rating's fault as it says "nope, I don't actually think that their wins were legit, must have been some system errors".

The reverse could probably apply here. If you lose a couple of times and your win ratio is back at 70% and you keep it that way against good people, the reliability rating will probably say "Yeah okay, I don't suspect anything fishy here" and give the promotion a "go!".

Even though in this case it appears your friend didn't win any games yet as she only resigned every single time. The win-ratio is at 0% but the reliability rate is somewhat cautious. It thinks "that can't be, you HAVE TO win eventually! We probably gave her too strong opponents!" so it gives her another shot and places her into the high leagues. If she keeps losing she might get demoted very quickly, though. And even if she wins - as the reliability factor will just become more trustworthy. Then the system will check the win-ratio and eventually notice that she doesn't belong where she currently is.

I don't know really what her best shot is now (resigning or actually trying). Either may get her demoted, though.

But let OML know if she gets promoted even further.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
07-13-2012, 04:38 AM
Ok thanks for the explanation
07-13-2012, 07:40 AM
I just played a guy who had 0 league wins and was in Master as well. I said in another thread that the league system is not right.

The person now has 3 league wins and is in Master...Makes no sense.
07-13-2012, 09:24 AM
who is "she"?
07-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Her username?