Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will community be able to contribute more?
07-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Will community be able to contribute more?
Does anyone have planned a "map maker" for everyone to use? It would be awesome to see more maps that can be submitted and can be browsed through but not played on. If people like it, they could rate it up or w/e and OML can put some maps in a pack and sell it. This is a win/win situation people!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2012, 11:55 AM
RE: Will community be able to contribute more?
I do not like the idea at all...
I LOVE it!!!
07-11-2012, 11:11 PM
I definatly think many more maps from devs and members is the way to go, just dont put all of them in league play. I also think devs could make heeps of races for friendly, just a lot less for league, that way the balance issue is a lot less, and they dont have to worry about "i never wanted to make heeps of cheap stuff for the game, that wasnt the idea"stuff. Mega matches of 3v3(x3) that could go on forever.

Up for Friendliez! Gifted League GCID: braytos
[Image: sig.png]
07-11-2012, 11:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 11:18 PM by Kamikaze28.)
(07-11-2012 11:11 PM)brayton Wrote:  I definatly think many more maps from devs and members is the way to go, just dont put all of them in league play. I also think devs could make heeps of races for friendly, just a lot less for league, that way the balance issue is a lot less, and they dont have to worry about "i never wanted to make heeps of cheap stuff for the game, that wasnt the idea"stuff. Mega matches of 3v3(x3) that could go on forever.

Erm ... no.

Balance issues are balance issues regardless of the consequences. If there were a team that's not balanced, so you didn't want to play it or face it in League play, then you sure as hell don't want it in friendly games either. It just robs the game of its entertainment value (a.k.a. fun). Also 'cheap' is not OMLs style.

You are also the first person I see on these forums who would be happy about "Mega matches [...] that could go on forever."

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Maps have changed very rarely during beta phase, and when they got changed, the games or replays usually began to crash. Knowing that, I assume that it's really hard for OML to alter the maps (which is probably also the reason for them to wait and see if FTA is really not counterable).

When it's already hard to change the map within the code, I don't want to begin to think about what's it gonna be like when this has to happen automatically. O_O
Well, a hexagon has up to six adjacent hexagons, each of which it's gotta be linked with. The mapmaker would have to do a lot of pathfinding, then connect the respective nodes to each other. Lots of calculations and throwing the original map code over would be required to make a map maker run.

I don't think that Outwitters needs a map maker, though. Every single one out of the roughly 350 games I've played so far has developed a different mid- and endgame. That's why I didn't get bored of playing on any map yet.
And with all those teams and maps to come, I don't see a reason for the map maker either. It would be a lot of wasted time for OML as most of the user-created maps wouldn't be taken into account due to imbalance issues or people placing bonus spaces all over the map (gonna happen!).

But if you want to give it a shot, throw a map together with pen and paper and post your suggestions up the forums. If Adam/Alex think the map is good, they'd probably use it for the next team?

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
07-12-2012, 01:36 AM
Hexagon Graph Paper PDF

To make drawing up new maps easier!
07-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Thanks harti, I'll keep that in mind.
07-12-2012, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 12:40 PM by Kyoril.)
Made a quick map; Not sure about troop placement, but I like the rest. Sorry for the crappy quality.

Key:
[Image: key.png]

Map:
[Image: map-Vortexv1.png]
Any thoughts?
07-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Good idea kyoril, but it looks like a base race.the side with the medic and the soldier could be rushed by the opponent as your only spawner is a long U shaped walk away. You could completely block off that side with the soldier and medic to make a Z shaped map.
07-12-2012, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 12:36 PM by Kyoril.)
(07-12-2012 12:12 PM)Fluffysox Wrote:  Good idea kyoril, but it looks like a base race.the side with the medic and the soldier could be rushed by the opponent as your only spawner is a long U shaped walk away. You could completely block off that side with the soldier and medic to make a Z shaped map.

Comme ca?
[Image: map-Vortexv2.png]

I was thinking just connect the spawner side directly with the middle to make it a shorter walk.
[Image: map-Vortexv3.png]

I could also replace the outside Wit tiles with spawners, but I thought that might turn it into a runner fight due to lack of wits.

I also corrected Blue's heavy; It was in the wrong hex.