Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Random conversation time
10-14-2013, 01:37 PM
RE: Random conversation time
(10-14-2013 10:04 AM)TheGreatAnt Wrote:  
(10-14-2013 03:15 AM)TheGreatErenan Wrote:  I flip out at fictional characters who do stupid and/or rude things.

I feel like we should talk about this.

Well that's what this thread is for. One topic leads to another, like ideas or a chain reaction.

I am GameCenter's Chemoeum.

RIP, DL banner.

Explosions.

Go here!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2013, 01:56 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2013 01:57 AM by TheGreatErenan.)
(10-14-2013 03:15 AM)TheGreatErenan Wrote:  I flip out at fictional characters who do stupid and/or rude things.

For example, a character in a TV show is someone's roommate in a college dorm, and he puts his roommate's sheets on his own bed without asking, and when his roommate realizes it and asks about it, he responds by saying, "Yeah, they were there, so I put them on my bed. Is that not cool?"

And the other character says, "No."

And I yell at the TV what I wanted the character to say. Something like: "No, it's not cool! Why would I be cool with that? They're my sheets! They go on MY bed! What part of this don't you understand?"

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-15-2013, 05:48 AM
(10-15-2013 01:56 AM)TheGreatErenan Wrote:  

For example, a character in a TV show is someone's roommate in a college dorm, and he puts his roommate's sheets on his own bed without asking, and when his roommate realizes it and asks about it, he responds by saying, "Yeah, they were there, so I put them on my bed. Is that not cool?"

And the other character says, "No."

And I yell at the TV what I wanted the character to say. Something like: "No, it's not cool! Why would I be cool with that? They're my sheets! They go on MY bed! What part of this don't you understand?"

HAHA. I felt the same way when that happened last week on Parenthood. I also thought it was stupid when the same character walks in on his sister and her fiancé about to get busy and then has the nerve to stick around after interrupting them. Not only would I feel disgusted by seeing my sister about to do the horizontal tango but there is no way I would stick around after being the reason they had to stop!
10-15-2013, 05:57 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2013 05:59 AM by TheGreatErenan.)
Yeah, that's the show I was watching. And yeah, I probably wouldn't stick around either. But I guess Drew is getting used to that stuff, since he walked in on his Mom and her fiancé a couple seasons ago too.

10-15-2013, 06:31 AM
Lol. And that is the kind of reaction the writers want viewers to have.

I find it amusing how people get so emotionally involved with fictional things. (And this includes myself)

GC: TheGreatAnt
10-15-2013, 06:34 AM
(10-15-2013 06:31 AM)TheGreatAnt Wrote:  I find it amusing how people get so emotionally involved with fictional things. (And this includes myself)

Yup.. Was watching Breaking Bad last night and "something happened" to one of the characters and my girlfriend broke into tears. Confused

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
10-15-2013, 07:53 AM
I don't find it especially amusing, but I do find it really interesting. It's almost as though on some fundamental level, the human brain regards even fictional things at least partially in the same way that it regards real things. The way I see it is that if a story is written very well, such that the characters "feel real" in your mind, then they don't just feel real, but your mind actually kind of regards them as real, even if just a little bit. Consciously, you know they are not real, but subconsciously, your mind still regards them as such and affords a similar kind of mental processing to them as it does for real things.

10-15-2013, 09:20 AM
It is certainly interesting, but the part I find amusing is how a person's mood completely changes.

GC: TheGreatAnt
10-16-2013, 12:58 AM
Lots of things affect mood. Good stories can affect mood particularly well. Other things like music, images, temperature... almost anything can affect our mood!

The Gruff Billies Clan:
Yeah. We ate your grass, bub.
Fluffy League Whatcha gonna do? Fluffy League
10-16-2013, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2013 04:46 AM by Chemoeum.)
(10-16-2013 12:58 AM)aaronINdayton Wrote:  Lots of things affect mood. Good stories can affect mood particularly well. Other things like music, images, temperature... almost anything can affect our mood!

Yeah, like when I was reading these last few posts, I got confused, anticipative, clear about what happened, and laughed at my post.

I am GameCenter's Chemoeum.

RIP, DL banner.

Explosions.

Go here!