Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Elite Championship - Season 1 - The Games - Come discuss about them!
09-21-2013, 03:19 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2013 10:23 PM by Mag!cGuy.)
RE: The Elite Championship - Season 1 - The Games
Round 5: Glitch

*new*

This game followed the same path as the one between alvendor and his daddy, but it was quicker. Trumpet, seeing poweewee went for a super early mobi, attacked without even dealing real damages. And he won! Poweewee defend as well as he could, but it was impossible for him not to lose there, unless alan messed up. Alan had too many wits, and more units than him. There are maps where going for a super early mobi is very dangerous: Glitch is the worst. GG alan, very good decision making!

*new*

The game starts in an agressive way with sharugames using runners. But, he did something wrong, at turn 3. He killed the medic with a 2hp runner. Why is it wrong? A medic is worth two wits. A 2hp runner is worth two wits. But sharugames spent one wit to move the runner, whereas pharmafan won't spend any wit to kill the runner. That means sharugames lost one wit here. It is extremely important to remind that killing the medic is not often a good thing to do! And well, something even worse happens: the runner gets scrambled!
Afterwards they both start a runner and sniper massing. But I don't like how Sharugames places his to snipers. One on the right side can be good, but two is bad, because you don't have the room to put them on good hexes. That's what happened here, the first spawned sniper is placed on an useless (let's be honest) hex! I also don't understand at all the strategy he is doing, massing his units in the least active place of the map, where they have no chance to reach his adversary. These are wits wasted, units wasted, well, a lot of resources wasted. Look after that: pharmafan destroys three 2hp runners, which is not bad, and totally overwhelm his opponent because sharugames has been very wit unefficient and has his army on the opposite side! From this turn, sharu lost. He has less wits, pharma has two scramblers.. He couldn't do anything from that point. The placement, and the fact that moving several times the same unit for nothing is unforgivable are really important to understand! :)

Alvendor started with a famous and very powerful turn: the sniper opening. The aim of this is to get a sniper at the center as quickly as possible, in order to have a positionnal lead over your opponent, and destroy any unit coming too near of it. However, this opening didn't look so good in this case. Why? Because his daddy's answer was absolutely perfect. He played in order to have himself a sniper, and say to alvendor "okay, come at me with your snipe, I am ready." During the next few turns, both players massed units without doing anything special. But you can notice they didn't place their unit randomly, each hex was thought in order to prevent the opponent from being able to make a big attack.
And then the #1 worldwide did the error: he spawned a mobi early, and didn't ensure his daddy wouldn't see it. If you catch your opponent went for a quick mobi (this doesn't apply for the other specials, because they can deal real damages by themselves) and have units in reach of your opponent's, you can rush him, as daddy did here. He only destroyed one unit, but after some very cool action turns the battle ended up in his advantage, because alvendor had less wits and real units than his opponent.
An awesome reactionnary play from his daddy, we didn't see any flaw in his matches so far!

A crazy battle. The game began normally, both players doing standard openings. But torbreck did something better than his opponent, he created a sniper. On glitch, you have to create a sniper asap, in order to take the map control and put a lot of pressure on your opponent. It's shown pretty well here, cor has been obliged to move some units back, thus be a bit wit unefficient. At turn 9, torbreck could destroy one soldier without fearing anything for his sniper.
Anything? Actually, cor played incredibly well at turn 8. He knew his soldier would be destroyed, the way it would be destroyed and what he could answer to it. The runner, the medic and wits saved up altogether allowed cor to destroy the sniper and take back his map control. Nothing was done randomly here, cor didn't have luck, he planned everything and played brilliantly. Give it up for him!
Sadly, this move was not enough to take the lead over his opponent. It balanced the advantages of each players, which is already pretty awesome considering cor's position at turn 8.
Then followed turtling turns, action coming back at turn 32. Cor's attack was too weak, to be honest. But, what? Torbreck accidently clicked done at turn 33! Too sad, it changed the ending of the game! :(
And turn 34 was not so great either. Apparently, cor was "walking his baby around", which explains why he didn't play so well. IRL before everything guys :D
Turn 35 was great to watch, but not exactly enough to completely defend against cor, who afterward did some scrambler "seek and destroy" and got in a very good shape at turn 36.
Turn 37 is extremely interesting to analyze. What is the very best torbreck could do with 7 wits? I first thought that he could all in with his soldiers, but he couldn't. His best solution was to defend even better at the bottom (use both 1hp soldiers to kill the 3hp one, use the two other to kill the 4hp and use the one at the right to hurt the other soldier) while moving his top soldier toward the base. It wouldn't make torbreck win the game, but he would completely defend against the push.
Any comments or move suggestions to add? Feel free to tell them there, I might have missed nice thing to say!

Round 6: Sweetie Plain

*new*
Sweetie Plains is another map that is hard to understand. Indeed, you may sometimes not understand where to attack, or how you can counter that push on the side of the map.

At ST or master level, you will generally see P1 defending, and P2 attacking. Obviously, it doesn't happen at all battles, but as you see in this replay, both player accept their roles directly from their first turns. Cor puts his medic next to the middle spawn, and creates units only there, to be defensive at the right. Whereas Alvendor places his medic next to the spawn at the right, and masses soldiers there!

On this map, the only great path of attack is the wit space side, where alvendor is preparing an attack and cor defending. Why? Because the weak point of the defender, the wit space, is as far from the defender's spawn space as from the attacker's spawn space. So, the defender doesn't have his natural advantage to be at home in this case, which makes the rushes here extremely powerful. This is why, when you play on Sweetie Plains at levels where it's not directly P1:defender and P2:attacker, I recommend you to mass units at your opponent's wit space side as quickly as possible, and make fast rush composed of runners and soldiers. Aim the sniper, aim the wit space, constantly reinforce with 4hp soldiers, and you will normally get the win.

Here, Cor defends perfectly. When Alvendor is too bold, by advancing his new soldier very near of cor, cor can punish him, and use his sniper without fearing to have his sniper killed. He has more units to defend than what alvendor has to attack, when it's usually the reverse.
Turn 12, Alvendor tries to attack and put his opponent in difficulty, but he doesn't have enough. Cor rips off all his units. And he also manages to sneak a runner at the left, to kill Alvendor's sniper! What a beautiful play. Indeed, the sniper is extrmely precious, and having it killed before it couldn't have done anything is awesome. You can try, in your games, to place a runner where cor did, and kill the unprotected sniper!
He continues his great harass turn 19, with this time a runner and a soldier hidden! The problem of alvendor is that he didn't use his pre-given runner. You should always put it on your spawn, instead of your soldier. You, then, see everything coming from that side, and don't get surprised by such risky moves!

Alvendor uses a mobi to defend, and he finally repels cor. Turn 25, cor gets himself a mobi, because you alwyas have to be even wiht your opponent as for mobi count. Though, he does a huuuge error by letting his heavy there, exposed to a sniper! It didn't do anything during the battle, so sad. :( Because of this, and the over-commitment of cor in his push, alvendor ends up aving more units than his adversary!
Then, both players accumulate units, alvendor being again on an offensive position, while cor defends.
Turn 35 is very fun to watch, cor gets a second mobi while destroying his opponent's! It' not, strictly speaking, wit efficient, but cor gets such a big lead from this move, well done! He afterwards taunts his opponents, destroying units and calling his ones back. That allows him to get even with alvendor as for "real" unit count (by real, I mean unit which can hit, deal damages.). Well, "try" to get even, because alvendor still has more units and more wits!

Turn 45 is awesome to watch. he figures out alvendor had too much at the right side, so he moves and teleportes some of his units at the left, where there are not many of them. Since he has two mobis, he will be able to constantly reinforce with what remains of his army at the bottom right hand corner of the map.
Afterwards, he completely all ins. It's very risky, because alvendor's army is much more powerful. Aaaand the predictable happens, alvendor manages to completely defend agaisn the all in, and cor ends up having NO units compared to his opponent. Alvendors obviously gets the win some turns after. Well done!

The game started with awpertunity directly setting up in a defensive position (which is awesome. Indeed, he is P1, and usually the one attacking is P2 thanks to the wit advantage) Poweewee didn't seem to catch awpertunity's play, and agressed him way too quickly, rather throwing his units than dealing real damages. Afterwards, he got a mobi, and awpertunity started to put pressure at the right side.
Poweewee did a terrible turn 14, commiting a lot with his units even though he didn't have enough to overwhelm his opponent. Each time, it's the same problem: he attacks even thought he doesn't have enough. And from turn 17, he is really behind. But awpertunity rushes too much, makes wit unefficient moves to kill the heavy and finally loses this trade. But he still has the unit lead, and tries to provoke poweewee out of position at his wit side.
The red adorable's turn 24 has not been optimal in my opinion. He has chosen to kill a yet not dangerous soldier rather than protect a precious sniper against runners.
Wait, awpertunity didn't take his chance to kill the sniper! What he had to do there is kill the runner with his one at the very bottom, check what was there, and then see he could kill the sniper with his runner in range. Maybe he thought it would be impossible for powee to make such an error?
Because of all his errors like soldiers suiciding, the blue adorable lost his advantage, his opponent having a comfortable army plus a mobi.
Then follows a great back and forth series of turns, both players dealing decent damages and putting their opponent in some difficulties.
Turn 37, awpertunity makes a great rush at the left. Powee couldn't completely defend directly, and tried to annoy his opponent at the opposite side with a soldier. Turn 42, he manages, again, to repel awpertunity.
But Blue then rapidly massed an army, and after some turns he takes the win with an awesome push on the wit side. What did poweewee have to do to counter it? Let's see:
Well, it all comes from turn 44. Creating a 1hp sniper is very risky at this stage of the game. Spending two wits to move back units that will anyway be killed or be obliged to move afterwards isn't efficient. He better had to let his units there, create a soldier and move it to the left, and move his two other soldier to the left too. That would have changed a lot, he would really have been able to counter the attack. It's not useful to comment the turns following, since from turn 46 he was almost already done for.
All in all an awesome back and forth match with pure action! :)

Round 7: Reaper

A very fun battle! The first mistake came from Sharugames at turn 5. Indeed, he commited a lot ( gave up a runner and a sniper for a soldier) even though he should have stayed on his initial plan, which was to sneak a sniper at the right and apply a huge pressure at this side. Anyway this was not a big mistake, because it provoked a trade that ended up in a slight advantage for sharugames as for positionnal matter.
Turn 8, cor did a very odd move, kinda all-ining, as if his opponent almost had nothing. But, that was not the case! And sharugames's answer was not optimal either, he could have killed the heavy and the sniper at the same time. He thought cor had more than only a soldier? Some quick calculations or simply the runner scouting would have allowed to figure out cor couldn't have any other unit than a heavy, soldier and sniper. He then tried to make sneaky moves, as if he feared cor's army, even though that one was everything but dangerous.
When you watch turn 12, you might be like "what the heck." And you'd be right, but the basic idea was awesome: forcing your opponent to defend, forcing him to be scrambled,  and maybe making it to the victory. The problems here were that cor already had less units than his opponent, didn't deal any damage when he all ined, and wasn't 100% sure his scrambler was completely hidden. His all in failing and sharugames having a soldier in range of the base, the adorable takes the win!

Round 8: Foundry

A good game very nice to understand Foundry's metagame, one of the hardest to understand. In this map, the first part of the game will always consist in being the first to get your sniper as quickly as possible toward your opponent wit space while preenting your opponent from doing the same. You have to do this with prediction and very precise unit placement, that's why I personnaly love foundry so much.
LER4T's opening is not the most common, and I'm not a huge fan of it, because it is easily counterable. (its aim is to kill the sniper before it even got healed)
Turn 4, awpertunity did an error. He killed the runner wih a soldier placed on the wit space. A soldier placed on the wit space at your first turn is great, because it prevents the sniper from advancing too quickly. But a soldier placed at your second turn being P2 (or your third turn being P1) is pretty bad, because the sniper can now kill it. A good move here was to kill the runner with the heavy, and place the soldier one hex more at the top. It was like saying "okay, kill my heavy, but then you won't be able to protect your sniper."
And LER4T could get a big advantage from this. But, I would say that, he didn't do the best here. He wanted to push his advantage as best as he could and sent as many units as possible at the top, and did it right. But the problem is that, he didn't defend at the bottom. He knew awpertunity's sniper would be there, he knew his soldier was threatened. Awpertunity advancing his sniper and killing the soldier would mean a balance of the lead in the game, because both players have their sniper in range of the adversary's wit space. I don't know if we can call it an error from LER4T or if he knew what was gonna happen and was sure he could deal with it, let's see.
Awpertunity defended perfectly , no move could put him in difficulty after. And at the end of turn 7, LER4T lost his lead: the advantage he got from turn 5 got lost because he pushed too quickly, got over confident and didn't think his opponent could do the same to him. That's the first miscalculation we see from him in this season!
Then, the game gets extremely hard to comment. I guess it was very hard for the players to make their moves, because everything was possible and each difference would matter much for the future. I can't say what was the best to do for each player. But that's why we all love foundry for (we do, right? :D)
At turn 8, awpertunity did another error, by placing a runner next to the wit space. You must never allow your opponent to kill one of your unit while taking your wit space at the same time.
He then decided to put a big pressure at the bottom, to prevent LER4T from attacking at the top with his mobi (which is a real threat). And it really worked, but LER4T's amazing defense prevented awpertunity from taking the win.
After defending against the push, he had a huge unit count lead. Turn 20, we can say awpertunity is done for. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

*new*

A nice match! I know foundry is a map that gives a lot of difficulties to most players. So, this time, let's fully analyze the openings and understand their aims:

Cor's opening is the one I am using too, because it is a very safe one. Why putting the soldier on the wit space, and not the runner? Why moving the sniper so quickly?

On Foundry, your aim must be to advance your pre-given sniper ASAP toward your opponent's wit space. Indeed, if your opponent doesn't defend well enough (and it's hard to defend against the sniper tbh), you will be able to have a huuuge positionnal lead, to harass his wit space constantly, and finally be able to launch a great attack that is gonna give you the win. The threat of this sniper is so amazing, that you absolutely need it in your battles. This is why we start moving it directly from the first turn.
But, your opponent, if he knows foundry pretty well, will try to do the same, right? That's why you need, while moving your sniper toward your opponent, to prevent your opponent from doing the same. And this is the aim of this early soldier. The sniper won't be able to come near the wit space, because if he tries too, your soldier will kill it before the sniper could have shot the soldier!
Pharmafan's opening is way less classic, and I think it's not the best you can do as P2. There are too many runners, and runners can't prevent the sniper from advancing.
Turn 3, cor places his pre-given runner on an uncommon hex. Why? I remember that, when I was working on my openings, I thought of putting it here because it would allow me to scout a big part of the map, while this runner wouldn't be able to be reached by a runner created on the spawn by my opponent. (whereas if your runner is on your wit space, it might be killed, and you lose all your vision)

Turn 4 and turn 5 are perfect to illustrate what I said about cor's opening. Turn 4, pharmafan could not advance his sniper, because of cor's soldier! And, look, at the end of turn 5, how well positionned is cor. He sees everything, his sniper now reaches any unit willing to protect the red wit space, and he is ready to make a push, already.
But pharmafan played well at turn 6. He first countered the sniper, by placing his soldier so that, if the sniper advances once more, it gets killed. he also managed to advance his own sniper, by protecting it with a new soldier. Still, that doesn't give him a positionnal lead, and cor can sneak his soldier at the top to hit the base! The way pharmafan defend is very original and nice. It looks suicidal, but when he saw the soldier at the top with the runner, he had NO other solutions, because he was too threatened by the sniper and the surrounding units to move his units at the top. This is another advantage of the early-coming sniper: you can use your top soldier to hit the base at the top, without fearing to be countered too easily.
Cor's answer is predictable, he destroys a lot of units, and gets an unit lead added to the postionnal lead he already had.
Pharmafan defends as best as he can, at turn 14 you would even say that he countered cor! But his base is only at 2hp, cor has too many runners.. He hets the win at turn 19. It all comes from the openings, and maybe FTA (First Turn Advantage), but this replay will show you P2 can win, even if P1 plays very well and tries to push his advantage! GG you two!

A nice game purely made of agressivity! After having a slight advantage given by his opening, torbreck managed to defend the hyper quick but weak attack from poweewee while sneaking a soldier at the top to take advantage of his units and positionning lead.
Powee defended pretty well, but he has done a crucial error that costed him the game at turn 12: he didn't guess another runner would try to finish off the base, thus killed the first one with a new runner which could have blocked the way of the hidden scout, instead of using the sniper. The champion is normally known for his awesomness in mind game, what happened in this turn?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Elite Championship - Season 1 - The Games - Mag!cGuy - 09-21-2013 03:19 AM