Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with Sharkfood Island
07-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Need help with Sharkfood Island
I recently played a match on Sharkfood Island, that I lost quite handily. I'm a relatively new player. I've placed in gifted, but still have relatively few games under my belt. My hope is that by sharing this replay, I can get some insight into what I could have done better, because right now I am just not seeing it.

Replay: outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y_oTrAww

I am more than happy to answer any questions on my thought process.

Also, I would love to know if any issues you see with my play are somehow connected to this map (because it's small perhaps) or more general stuff that I could work on.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2013, 01:59 PM
RE: Need help with Sharkfood Island
Turn 4, you can't move your units without scouting you practically handed him your units to kill them it was game over then
07-09-2013, 02:05 PM
(07-09-2013 01:59 PM)blckace Wrote:  Turn 4, you can't move your units without scouting you practically handed him your units to kill them it was game over then

Well that was something I have considered, but in my very limited experience, people move towards the top lane on that map. So when I could see his units up there, they were where I expected, I just didn't think it would go so badly after I moved up there.
07-09-2013, 02:22 PM
You want to think about what your opponent can do to you. One of the key units on SFI is your heavy, and you really want to be able to use it offensively. However, another thing you want to keep track of is where your opponent's units are, how they're positioned, etc. for example, on turn 4, you did not anticipate that there could have been a soldier come and tickle your heavy's underbelly. Typically, p1 takes that advanced heavy position that you and your opponent took. Taking it p2 is risky, but at the gifted level, if you protect the heavy, you should be good.

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
07-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Alright, I don't want to say it looks like a first turn advantage I read of from time to time, but more like I still don't have the experience to know the differences between what p1 and p2 can realistically do on each map.

I felt like my opponent played like how I normally would as player 1. So it's good to know I need to play differently as player 2. Are there any general things I should do as player 2? Things like play more defensively, or scout more at the beginning, etc.

Thanks for the help.
07-09-2013, 03:33 PM
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y9_rtAww
Here's a good p2 setup. Like Mr. #4 said, you need vision first before advancing. However, I know my opponent did not do what he could have with his turn because he attacked my base. This means he went the soldier up, boost heavy, spawn runner and move runner p1 open. I start with the opening you saw here, and after I figured the enemy did not move heavy up (because he spawned runner turn 1 and turn 3 wouldn't have enough power or wits to attack), so I moved mine up. The rest was easy because my opponent didn't save wits.

2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
07-09-2013, 05:11 PM
The advice above is good: Scout, and protect your units. More than any other map, Sharkfood Island punishes you for losing units because the spawn is so far from a useful position that it takes at least a turn to get freshly spawned ones back into position.

It's for that reason that often the first person to attack loses on this map. This is because it's easier to take out several units on a counterattack than it is the do so on an attack. That's why I usually stockpile units and then try to provoke my opponent into attacking with a couple expendables, then try to take out 3+ units on the counteratack. Usually if you can do that and also put a runner on their spawn, forcing them to move a unit down to kill it, you can win.

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
07-09-2013, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 05:23 PM by Mag!cGuy.)
(07-09-2013 05:11 PM)ElPared Wrote:  The advice above is good: Scout, and protect your units. More than any other map, Sharkfood Island punishes you for losing units because the spawn is so far from a useful position that it takes at least a turn to get freshly spawned ones back into position.

It's for that reason that often the first person to attack loses on this map. This is because it's easier to take out several units on a counterattack than it is the do so on an attack. That's why I usually stockpile units and then try to provoke my opponent into attacking with a couple expendables, then try to take out 3+ units on the counteratack. Usually if you can do that and also put a runner on their spawn, forcing them to move a unit down to kill it, you can win.

Your second statement is pretty wrong to be honest. I often win after attacking, and I sometimes lose after being rushed. It's all about timing and how you play well: 75% of the time I attack, I win. I even think a good attack at turns 8-9 leads you to a win very often if you don't make any mistake and your opponent doesn't have an hidden scrambler.
Yet, I agree on the general fact that defending is easier than attacking. But attacking gives you the lead of the battle, and if you plan a great attack that works the next turn, you are in a very good position! Smile
And hey, attacking is so much more fun than waiting for your opponent to attack Tongue It can be a strategy obviously, but you have to beware that your opponent attacks better than expected. Smile

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
07-09-2013, 11:00 PM
That's what Mag!cGuy taught me, basically. After I got wrecked in a couple practice games where he attacked on SFI, I've been taking a much more offensive stance on that map, but always, safety first.

2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7