Poll: To Veto or Not to Veto?
Veto 3 maps
Veto 3 maps + 3 preferred maps
no, all maps are balanced for every team
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ability to Veto some maps?
06-11-2013, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 12:35 PM by ElPared.)
Ability to Veto some maps?
(06-10-2013 09:07 AM)Szei Wrote:  The best fix for most balance issues would just be to allow players to veto 3 or 4 maps that they find their team has a significant disadvantage on. This kind of self balancing would be easier to implement and doesn't involve the risk of upsetting some players while pleasing others.

^This came up in my scrambler buff thread and kind of threw it off topic. I for one like the idea, and it seems pretty easy to implement and puts most of the balancing into the players' hands.

For those unsure what Szei is suggesting, the idea is to have a system in place where a player can choose 3 maps that they want to play on less (remember, there are 11 maps, they'd still have to master the other 9). The point of this is to have maps that are unfavorable to a player's chosen team come up less, making the game more about skill, rather than who has the advantage on what map.

Option number 2 above is my idea. To have the same veto system but also to have a second set of 3 maps that would allow a player to overrule a vetoed map. The idea being that a player who identifies which maps they often win on and would like to play on them more often could put those maps on their preferred list, and if that map is vetoed by an opponent's veto list then there's a 50% chance of playing on the map anyways. I like this idea because I don't like the idea of a veto being final. Even in politics a veto can be overruled, why not in Outwitters too?

so basically I'm asking if you think players should be able to choose 3 maps that they'd like to play on less (presumably because their team of choice is unbalanced on that map for whatever reason), or if they should be able to do the same thing, but sometimes be forced onto those maps anyways, or if you think all the maps are currently balanced in all matchups (AKA, option number 3)

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 01:14 PM
RE: Ability to Veto some maps?
Even if this was an option in the game, it should be a pay-per-veto thing. Maybe get 3 vetos free, then pay 99 cents for the rest. That way, it can produce revenue for those that really care about which map they get, or hate learning on the maps they always lose on.

GC: TheGreatAnt
06-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Um, I say veto 2 maps. 3 maps is too much. Makes the game less centered around the unpredictability you're supposed to get when playing league.

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
06-11-2013, 01:18 PM
But then some one could pay 7 dollars to veto every 1v1 map except 1 so he could mobi rush every game and be in the top 200 without any real skill

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
06-11-2013, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 01:23 PM by [PETA] Doodat.)
I think what TheGreatAnt means is that you can purchase "vetoes", but those vetoes, when used, only veto 2/3 maps.

Also, your choices don't really encompass the whole argument. There are several:

I get to pick my map so I can play others who play well on that map;
I get to veto 2 maps at a time because Outwitters league is a test of skill, and unpredictability against a race that is not guaranteed is one of those skill factors.
I get to put only preferred maps but I will take any map to practice on.

2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
06-11-2013, 01:21 PM
(06-11-2013 01:18 PM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  But then some one could pay 7 dollars to veto every 1v1 map except 1 so he could mobi rush every game and be in the top 200 without any real skill

Then people need to learn how to counter it?

GC: TheGreatAnt
06-11-2013, 01:22 PM
I think vetoing maps isn't fair, your supposed to learn how to use the team you have to play well on those maps and improve your strategies and wits, not avoid those maps to make it easier to get higher in the rankings.

06-11-2013, 01:24 PM
(06-11-2013 01:22 PM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  I think vetoing maps isn't fair, your supposed to learn how to use the team you have to play well on those maps and improve your strategies and wits, not avoid those maps to make it easier to get higher in the rankings.

I agree.

2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
06-11-2013, 01:24 PM
(06-11-2013 01:21 PM)TheGreatAnt Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 01:18 PM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  But then some one could pay 7 dollars to veto every 1v1 map except 1 so he could mobi rush every game and be in the top 200 without any real skill

Then people need to learn how to counter it?

They can't if they're vetoing the maps that favor mobi over what ever team their using

06-11-2013, 01:47 PM
This is done is Starcraft 2, and it works well, however they also change out the maps every season (usually about a monthish) so it never gets to the point where one race vetoes this map and another vetoes the other map.

Gifted League Gamecenter:Phyresis
OSN Profile
Wolfpack on OSN
WE ARE THE WOLFPACK!