Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Need advice? - Post your replay!
07-14-2012, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2012 10:03 PM by Dawizerd.)
RE: Need advice? - Post your replay!
(07-14-2012 12:59 PM)Syvan Wrote:  
(07-14-2012 07:33 AM)Dawizerd Wrote:  Glitch

I seem to have trouble getting a firm course of action on this map. I spent a good amount of time cowering in fear of his buffed sniper, i suppose i should have spawned one myself and baited him closer. Any input is appreciated.

P.S. turn 18 was a complete brain freeze, I don't know what went through my head with that sniper move.

For some reason, you kept moving 4 tiles away from that sniper, at the beginning of the turn, make a little mental note where it is so you can position yourself appropriately to not get picked off again.

I would also suggest not devoting resources into attacking the base until you are confident that you will be able to win in that turn or the next one. For example, in turn 14, you move into the lower corner and take a point from the base. Although this eventually worked in your favor, it is inefficient. Save those wits for setting up your final offensive.

As for the buffed sniper. I deal with them using a runner to spot and a soldier 5 hexes away. If the sniper moves forward, take it out with the soldier. Alternatively, you can have your own sniper 5 hexes with a runner for vision.

Also, turn 24 I think. You move your medic back away from the spawn. Why? For that wit cost, you could have buffed that runner you spawned or moved the runner instead. A few turns later, you move the medic back at the cost of another wit. If you were just trying to barricade the front, try to be as movement efficient as possible.

Thanks for taking the time to give some advice, I appreciate it. Yeah, I debated that medic move at 24, I was trying to save it from getting killed by his soldier on the next turn. I definitely need to be more effective in Wit usage, I have a tendency to want to use them all "because they're there!".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi, excuse the non clickable link but please do look at the game and give me some advice Smile this one I almost lost to a rush of runners. I was wondering what would be great against this play style because I was on the run for a turn or two. Overall it was an intense match and I look forward toward the help.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIQCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y7842DA
07-15-2012, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2012 12:41 PM by ArtNJ.)
(07-15-2012 09:55 AM)Alphapuddin Wrote:  Hi, excuse the non clickable link but please do look at the game and give me some advice Smile this one I almost lost to a rush of runners. I was wondering what would be great against this play style because I was on the run for a turn or two. Overall it was an intense match and I look forward toward the help.

Fixed it for you.

Alphapuddin's Game

As far as the game goes, I guess I would focus in, and rather than critiquing the whole game, say learn one thing from it: dont allow p2 to get a devastating spawn lock on you like that. Your (bad) decision to buy a brain on your first or second turn had a lot to do with that horrible turn of events. For inexplicable reasons, your opponent gave up the spawn lock, but he didnt need too, at least not at that point -- that position was quite possibly bad enough to be a forced loss with perfect play.
07-15-2012, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2012 01:46 PM by Fluffysox.)
(07-15-2012 09:55 AM)Alphapuddin Wrote:  Hi, excuse the non clickable link but please do look at the game and give me some advice Smile this one I almost lost to a rush of runners. I was wondering what would be great against this play style because I was on the run for a turn or two. Overall it was an intense match and I look forward toward the help.

Good game. I think you should have taken the wit bonus space to your left in the first turn.
I don't agree on getting a fast scrambler on this particular map, as the starting unit composition and distance and placement isn't good for the scrambler as IMO, it is usually hidden behind a wall of units in a defensive battle.
Starting from the end of turn 5 I think it was dangerous to leave your scrambler out like that. The opponent definitely would've sniped it if he didn't choose to go for the heavy.
After turn 15 and a narrowly missed death, the enemy tastes his own Medici- uhhh, I mean units! Literally!

P.S I think it was very impressive that you protected your scrambler like that on turn 7. Good thinking.
07-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Just got schooled by a blitz FTA in Peekaboo by calmon. For the life of me, I cant figure out how to make a good defense with my medic in the upper corner.
I think my turn 2 has to be:
1) recruit runner, see his runner.
2) move medic one hex next to spawn.
3) shield medic with soldier
4) buff runner or soldier
5) shield medic with runner.
---------
Is there any way to defend against calmon's opening if the medic jumps over the spawn into the corner? I don't see one.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIQCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YhvZJDA
07-17-2012, 12:55 AM
(07-17-2012 12:39 AM)nivra0 Wrote:  Just got schooled by a blitz FTA in Peekaboo by calmon. For the life of me, I cant figure out how to make a good defense with my medic in the upper corner.
I think my turn 2 has to be:
1) recruit runner, see his runner.
2) move medic one hex next to spawn.
3) shield medic with soldier
4) buff runner or soldier
5) shield medic with runner.
---------
Is there any way to defend against calmon's opening if the medic jumps over the spawn into the corner? I don't see one.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIQCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YhvZJDA

Most importantly, put your medic where Calmon put his. Second, a runner buy as p2 on turn 1 might be viable, I havent really focused on it because I prefer to build a 4 health soldier on turn 1. I sometimes dont even move it on my first turn, and deploy it defensively on my second turn, the general philosophy being to let him bring the intell to me.

If you dont have a medic over there, then you dont feel the need to block him and can defend by having the ability to kill him if he further advances.
07-17-2012, 01:02 AM
(07-17-2012 12:55 AM)ArtNJ Wrote:  If you dont have a medic over there, then you dont feel the need to block him and can defend by having the ability to kill him if he further advances.
Yah, so my medic positioning is just wrong. It's like moving a rook's pawn 2 spaces in chess.
07-17-2012, 01:05 AM
I've been lucky that I survived...

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIQCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y_pBJDA
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-17-2012, 02:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2012 02:48 AM by Harti.)
(07-17-2012 01:05 AM)123 Wrote:  I've been lucky that I survived...

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIQCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y_pBJDA

I was able to tell by the fact you survived but try to post your name next time Tongue

- 2: There is a way to lock yourself up: Move the Heavy to the bonus space and guard your Medic with 2 Soldiers. This way you should have been safe for the moment. Your turn was also okayish but I dislike the idea of getting less wit on the following turns and to have the Heavy so far in the back. (This is because most people begin to rush for your Base with Soldiers which are easily countered by a 5 HP Heavy later on)

- 4: Since you aren't able to kill both the Soldier and Runner, you shouldn't get a Sniper. Moving the Heavy onto the spawn point or spawning a Soldier/Runner to get rid of that Soldier would've been a better decision I guess.

- 6: Don't put the Runner so offensively apart from your other units. I understand that you needed to see what's going on at the spawn point but I'd have put it into the space between their Heavy and your Medic. Also I would have boosted the Soldier and not attacked the Medic (5 HP Heavy gets destroyed by H+So anyway and your Soldier couldn't be destroyed).

You played a very good P2 game here!

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
07-17-2012, 03:19 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2012 03:21 AM by 123.)
(07-17-2012 02:46 AM)Harti Wrote:  [quote='123' pid='3997'I was able to tell by the fact you survived but try to post your name next time :P

Thanks for your reply. I'll think of ist next time. And thanks a lot for your tips.
['-']
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user