Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Game Mechanic: Limit Number of Spawns
02-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Game Mechanic: Limit Number of Spawns
It seems that most of us enjoy matches that last longer than just a few turns, but in general it's not really desirable to have matches go on for 200+ turns, specifically in turtling matches. I was wondering whether anyone had ever given any thought to game mechanics that might be introduced to help ensure games don't go on practically forever.

What if spawn points were allotted a certain number of spawns per game and once that is used up they shut down? Or limit the number of wits per spawn (i.e. you can spawn 28 runners total (28 * 1) but only 4 bombshells (4 * 7), etc.)? Seems to me this could actually add to the strategic elements of the game. You only get so many spawns, so make them count.

I just thought of this, so I'm not sure if I even think it would be a good idea myself. Thoughts?

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2013, 08:09 AM
RE: Game Mechanic: Limit Number of Spawns
Its a decent but it could actually encourage turtling. Say I get a unit advantage at the beginning of the game then decide that instead of attacking, I just bleed out my opponent by letting the spawns time out while picking a few units off at a time. When I finally engage I have a big advantage.

1v1 Super-Titan

2v2 Master League with dakdak97 and boyoxneder

gc:connor3491
Find all posts by this user
02-21-2013, 08:09 AM
I like it! Hopefully put a stop on annoying bombshell turtling

1v1: Gifted League
2v2 #140 with liner15
May the ninja frog be with you....
02-21-2013, 08:11 AM
Twenty eight spawns only allows for fourteen soldiers. Not sure :/ I think that the way a match goes is decided by where you place units in the early stages. If you are aggressive, no turtleing. Opposite vice versa.
It would certainly get rid of those annoying armies of bombshells. However, triple mobi would then be very hard to pull off. Especially on one spawn maps.
I don't think it's such a good idea.

Once a master of nothing, now a noob to pretty much everything.
Hiatus resolved. I stalk these hallways again.
GC Silent_Dynasty because I'm indecisive and whatever ;u;
02-21-2013, 08:19 AM
I think it could be useful, but it needs more testing and thought In it.

Proud Member of the Diamond League!
[Image: sig.png]
02-21-2013, 08:22 AM
(02-21-2013 08:09 AM)connor34911 Wrote:  Its a decent but it could actually encourage turtling. Say I get a unit advantage at the beginning of the game then decide that instead of attacking, I just bleed out my opponent by letting the spawns time out while picking a few units off at a time. When I finally engage I have a big advantage.

That's an excellent point, and I think you're right. I hadn't thought of that.

(02-21-2013 08:11 AM)Wildtalon1851 Wrote:  Twenty eight spawns only allows for fourteen soldiers...

Yeah, twenty-eight was only an example number to illustrate what I meant. Without testing, there's no way to find a "sweet spot" number for something like that. In any case, I don't really favor the wit-based model but the simpler "you get X number of spawns per spawn space, regardless of what unit types are spawned" model. Of course, given what conner34911 said above, I think I favor the game as it is now, anyway. Smile

02-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Add "death timer" that counts the turns till "sudden death" which makes players unable to spawn units. After a certain number of turns (like 30), "sudden death" happens and it lasts a few turns (like 4) and after "sudden death" is over, the "death timer" resets.

Of course, this could be switched on only in friendly because it might not fair in league play.

Also, this could backfire because players could save up units to prepare for "sudden death" and cause more turtling.

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
02-21-2013, 08:52 AM
What if sudden death was random? That would be lethal if you attacked at the same time as sudden death on your opponent.

Once a master of nothing, now a noob to pretty much everything.
Hiatus resolved. I stalk these hallways again.
GC Silent_Dynasty because I'm indecisive and whatever ;u;
02-21-2013, 09:08 AM
In general the consensus seems to be that randomness being a part of Outwitters would be a bad thing.

02-21-2013, 09:40 AM
limiting spawns would just make you lose harder and more often. If you're losing, and also running low on spawns, the unit cap will screw you out of a comeback.

I think that spawns are already limited enough as it is since you only get one unit per spawn space per turn

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome