Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!!
03-05-2013, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2013 09:23 AM by GreatGonzales.)
RE: Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!!
Wow long post! Generally, I think you read too much into my words; we are largely in agreement. Of course I don't think that Outwitters is in a "dull state", nor do I think that it is a simple game which is easy to excel in. If I seemed to unfairly diminish the complexity of Outwitters, it was for mostly rhetorical reasons (the whole point I brought this point up is because some people believe that there is a "huge" skill gap between high ranked 2v2 players).

The distinction between "making the big play" as I originally called it, and your opponent(s) making a "mistake" is a fuzzy one I'll admit. In Outwitters, as in chess, you are constantly trying to maximize your options and force your opponent into an unfavorable situation, which you can use to gain advantage. I basically agree with how you broke this down, so I'll concede the point.

I've actually been thinking about this question over the past couple of days: WHY is chess a deeper game than Outwitters? Because I believe it is, but I couldn't quite articulate why I feel this way. I do think the addition of fog of war creates less depth for a game - you're right to question "how much" of an impact this causes. That's debatable. But actually, I think the larger difference between Outwitters and chess is not fog of war; it's the fact that you can move more than once per turn. Think about it; this simple fact dramatically decreases the extent to which you can A) plan your actions ahead of time, and B) anticipate your opponent's actions; both of which are essential skill elements in a strategy game. If players could only take one action per turn in Outwitters, there would be a much higher skill ceiling. Even higher if there was no fog of war, but relatively speaking I think this is a much smaller factor than the ability to make multiple actions in a turn. But of course I don't question OML's game design decision here - that would be totally unfun and not very accessible.

Regarding SC2...mmm. I admit I'm not looking much beyond surface level impressions here, but it seems very likely to me that chess is a "deeper" game than SC2. That being said, I agree that the two games are so vastly different that it is basically nonsensical to pose the question. So, I'll concede this point too. Wink

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!! - GreatGonzales - 03-05-2013 08:59 AM