Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!!
03-03-2013, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 08:40 AM by CombatEX.)
RE: Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!!
I don't quite agree with that verdict. Eijolend and I have only played something like 6 or 7 games on Machination (and mostly as P2) so I certainly don't know the 'winning strategy' for that map. As for FoW making the game have significantly less depth, I also would disagree. The game can't be 'solved' to the extent Chess is (not that Chess is solved, but you get the basic idea), but there is also skill in risk assessment in Outwitters.

FoW does introduce an element of luck which is absent in Chess. However, it also introduces a different aspect of skill. In Outwitters you must consider possible scenarios and assess which is the best way to minimize losses and maximize gains. "This is a powerful move in most scenarios, but if my opponent did move A last turn then I will be putting myself in a bad position." Is it worth it? What does the game look like from your opponent's point of view? Would your opponent suspect you to do such a move? Or would 'move A' (the counter) leave your opponent open to many other moves you could make and so s/he probably wouldn't do it. It requires a different type of thinking/planning than Chess, but it requires skill regardless. So yes, there is some luck introduced by FoW, but this does not prevent Outwitters from having a high level of depth and skill. The games are just different.

I'm mostly speaking from my experience in SC2. Sure, you can lose some games from build order wins, but SC2 still has a great deal of depth. Which has more depth and takes more skill? SC2 or Chess? I think you can't so easily say as they are both skill-based, but in different ways. Outwitters is between the two.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!! - CombatEX - 03-03-2013 08:39 AM