Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!!
02-19-2013, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 08:28 AM by GreatGonzales.)
Big Grin RE: Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!!
(02-19-2013 05:43 AM)amoffett Wrote:  1. I would argue that the elite have emerged.

No you misunderstand - the point behind this premise is that there has been sufficient time for a thriving ST league to emerge. So yes, I agree with you; it's just that several teams haven't been appropriately promoted.

Quote:2. Given the length of time it takes to play a 2v2 game, this should surprise no one.

I think if you considered this, you'd see that this cannot sufficiently explain the divide between 1v1 and 2v2 ST leagues. We had a vibrant ST population for 1v1 after a mere 2 months. Yet, even after 7 months 2v2 still does not have a vibrant ST population. What you are suggesting is that this is because 2v2 matches are so much longer? I'm sorry but that's absurd - 2v2 matches are longer, sure, but not, I dunno what the math is, something like 100 times longer. No, closer to maybe 2.5 times longer. This does not explain the facts; something else is going on. And I think it's becoming increasingly obvious that this cause is the promotion threshold.

Please don't respond without addressing the above 2 points, if you still think I'm wrong.

Quote:There does not have to an "enormous" divide, just a divide. And we absolutely see this.

It would have to be enormous if we accept the premise that 7 months is long enough for the elite to emerge. Thats the point in calling it an enormous divide. You are suggesting that the elite is exactly 2 teams and no more. All I am saying is that this is out of line with the promotion standard set by 1v1.

Quote:As far as I can see, the system is only not "ideal" to a loud minority of players who are trying to get promoted before they've earned it.

I have not said this once, nor am I primarily motivated by this. I'm not even sure I would make the cut for ST; I just want the 2v2 league system to work. It isn't working.

Quote:I have no problem with recognizing only two teams as being the best if they're the only ones who've made it, what I do have a problem with, and this is why I've taken this much time on a 2v2 argument when I play significantly less 2v2 than 1v1, is people trying to gain a distinction they have not earned and other people worked hard to get. It cheapens their accomplishments.

You are absolutely right, relaxing the promotion threshold would cheapen the accomplishment of making ST. But this is what you are not getting: the system was rigged to be too strict from the outset. Lets agree, at least, that there IS a promotion threshold that is unreasonable. Suppose for example the system was set up in such a way so that only 1 team could ever possibly achieve the highest league. That would be an unreasonable threshold, right? And so if we corrected this system to allow lets say 5 teams in, would that cheapen the significance of the number 1 team's accomplishment? Of course it would, but that doesn't therefore mean that we shouldn't make the correction. What we have currently is not very far from this. Again, you need to divorce yourself from the idea that just because the promotion system was set up a certain way from the beginning doesn't mean that this is most ideal set-up. The devs, as you yourself admit, should want to encourage competition, excitement, and a sense of achievement with the league system. That's the whole point of having a league system. You are defending a broken system in which an entire league is a non-factor. So no this is not about giving accolades to teams who don't deserve it; this is about fixing a problem that has long existed in the league promotion system.

Quote:My guess is that in the next month or two, one or two of these teams gets promoted, and that team will then be changing their tune as to the fairness of the promotion system. (Note: To those teams listed here but who have not taken part in this discussion, I am in no way bashing you or accusing you of complaining, this applies only to those who have taken issue with the current system)

Actually I thought about saying this earlier - no, if got promoted tomorrow, I would still be fighting this fight just as vigorously. Because I am motivated by the ideal league system, regardless of who it benefits.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!! - GreatGonzales - 02-19-2013 08:23 AM