Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!!
02-18-2013, 06:13 PM
RE: Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!!
(02-18-2013 06:05 PM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  
Quote:Okay. Lets go with the top .1% for the sake of argument. These 2 teams will have a higher hidden skill then the others. If this top .1% applied, getting to ST is simple, either wait for more people to come around or outskill one of the 2 teams. But honestly though, I strongly believe they didn't make it the top .1% but rather a hidden skill threshold which I don't feel like should be changed. Why? Because, it IS possible to get past that threshold. If they changed the threshold, being a 2v2 ST wouldn't have as much meaning as 1v1 because 2v2 has a lower hidden skill requirement.

This is your error: the number of players that can exceed a certain skill threshold is probably related to the size of the population of players. I say probably because again, it's a black box. But ELO, for example, is related to the size of the population. You need people below you in order to prop yourself up to a higher standing, is one way to think about it.

Again, you're right that OML isn't using percentiles but a hidden skill threshold. But they decided the skill threshold based on some delineation of the player population, right? This is what I mean when I discuss percentiles.

Lets agree that there IS an unreasonable threshold out there. Suppose the threshold was the top .001%, virtually ensuring that no more than 1 team would ever have the league of ST. That would not have much utility, right? There is an ideal here and I think it is frankly obvious that we are not there.
I mean, what if there were only 5 1v1 supertitans? Wouldn't that seem wrong to you? Yes the 2 teams making it into ST would have the highest hidden skill rating, just as poweewee has a much higher skill rating than harvanold. The idea is we open the league up so that meaningful distinctions can be made.

I will assume ELO, as in chess ratings. I'm not sure how it correlates with the size of the population? No matter who you beat, your ELO will go up, and once it goes past say 2500 then you're technically a GM (other requriments involved), or a Super Titan. And yes it does seem wrong to me if there were only 5 1v1 ST. But I would assume OML put the 1v1 and 2v2 ST hidden skill at the same threshold. So there are 2 2v2 teams that are past the ST threshold, and the masters, like 1v1 masters, have not passed the threshold yet.

iPro
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!! - Mr.Banger - 02-18-2013 06:13 PM