Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!!
02-18-2013, 05:08 PM
RE: Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!!
(02-18-2013 03:33 PM)amoffett Wrote:  Maybe I'm not being clear enough. "It goes by hidden skill". Yes, it does. And their "hidden skill" is higher than yours. Why should these other teams be supertitans just because they feel there arent enough of them. If there's a lack of supertitans, its because there's a lack of truly elite 2v2 players, not because of an error with the promotion system.

Ok let's address this. This is important.

You are right that there are two possibilities:

1. The system is appropriately discerning, and there merely aren't more than 2 sufficiently talented teams.
2. The system is not appropriately discerning, and there are teams who should qualify for ST.

Lets discuss what is meant by "appropriately" discerning. First, though, it's worth noting that the whole promotion system is a black box - that is, no one knows exactly how it works except for OML. Given this, amoffett, you seem a bit too confident here that scenario 1 is what's going on. Anyway, what is "appropriate" for super-Titan promotion, I think, is dependent upon 2 factors: 1. The skill of the team (as known via win/loss indicator), 2. The population of players. You are only considering 1 here.

It's been theorized that supertitans, at least for 1v1, comprise the top .1% of players. I am guessing that this is the problem; OML applied the same model for 2v2. If the current promotion system is working, that means that there are 2000 unique teams. Not sure how I feel about that number, might be about right...could also be very low.

In any case, though, this is the crux of the issue - the whole point of having leagues in a game such as this is to divide the player base into meaningful groups. What may work for 1v1 does not work as well for 2v2, clearly. A league with only 2 teams in it has very little utility. Suppose for the moment that there are only 2000 teams. Does it really make sense to limit a league to 2 teams? What the hell is the point of having the league, then? Leagues are supposed to make league play exciting and competitive. The current situation does neither of these things.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bump these teams to SuperTitan please!!! - GreatGonzales - 02-18-2013 05:08 PM