Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jumped from clever to gifted (same rank)
02-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Jumped from clever to gifted (same rank)
Have left OW for a few days, came back, surrendered my latest asswhuppin.... And now I'm in the same rank (give or take) but a league higher.
Pressumably i dont just go up a league and start near the top, so anyone else experienced this?

I've not tried a game yet, just going from my profile.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2013, 12:46 PM
RE: Jumped from clever to gifted (same rank)
Yep. Just happened to me too.

So presumably your points don't change, since those are your aggregate points from winning or losing, those stay the same as you move league to league. What's happening here is based on your last twenty or so games, your "hidden" rating compares a block of your latest wins/losses and either you get demoted or promoted. That's how I figure it anyway.

Welcome to Gifted. It's a new territory for me too. (At least this long so far anyway).

GC: wagnerock
Open for friendlies anytime.
02-17-2013, 01:11 PM
same happened to me too, but it also happened when I moved from Fluffy to Clever so I think it's normal functionality

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
02-17-2013, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2013 02:02 PM by Ja Karta.)
Okay. Next weekend I'm writing them a new ranking algorithm.
This is ridiculous.
I realize they won't use it. But at least I'll feel like I've tried.
Current ranking is problematic in so many ways. (And ultimately negatively impacts conversion I'm willing to bet.)

(And no: I won't suggest ELO. ELO is okay, but they can do better by a number of metrics including both accurate representation of skill and accessibility of score [which ideally will give a direct percentile ranking] to casual players. ... fine, I'll do a modified ELO [that takes into account non-Gaussian distribution of human play and a raw ranking estimate] [[Yes. I realize no one has said anything for me to respond to Tongue ]])

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
02-17-2013, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2013 03:23 PM by ElPared.)
(02-17-2013 01:59 PM)Ja Karta Wrote:  [Yes. I realize no one has said anything for me to respond to Tongue ]

it's OK I for one barely understood a thing you said in that second paragraph anyways lol

as for the promotion, I think what happened is the ENTIRE Broad Turtle Division in Clever League got promoted to Gifted. I looked at the Round Feather Division list and noticed a LOT of people I played (2-3 times in some cases) back in Clever were now in the same Gifted division as me.

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
02-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Ah ok, I thought I'd have to fight up from the bottom again.
Will see how long I can hang in gifted.
Cheers
02-18-2013, 03:00 AM
I have a hunch that the leagues have been restructured in some fashion. OSN hasn't updated this weekend, so I can't say with certainty, but I also was somewhat suddenly promoted to gifted--along with my opponent and at least a few other players in my clever division.
02-18-2013, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 07:37 AM by Ja Karta.)
Hmm...
I was just promoted to gifted today. (first promotion; though it's not unexpected, as I've had an undefeated run for awhile now, including gifted opps. [defintiely not bragging; I'm still a sloppy player, but I don't think it's evidence of mass promotions; though I'd support that.])

I kept my rank #2 (perhaps coincidence) but only had ~1/3 the points.
From that I'd guess that there's some points division that normally occurs on promotion. However, one will tend to get promoted into a 'new' league and thus the majority of people there will be newly promoted and, statistically, you're likely to have the same in-league rank.

This runs counter to someone having the same number of points on promotion though.

Regardless, it's all a bit silly. When I was playing my promotion test games it would almost always be against top 10 or at least top 25 gifted players. I assume that actually means the top rated players are actually lower in skill on average than the lower ranked players. (Which is perfectly plausible if many people enter gifted and plateau for awhile; that means that newbs will have more points than veterans). I'm basing these assumptions on anecdotal evidence.

(02-17-2013 02:49 PM)ElPared Wrote:  it's OK I for one barely understood a thing you said in that second paragraph anyways lol

as for the promotion, I think what happened is the ENTIRE Broad Turtle Division in Clever League got promoted to Gifted. I looked at the Round Feather Division list and noticed a LOT of people I played (2-3 times in some cases) back in Clever were now in the same Gifted division as me.
I'll explain it when I post the alg. Smile
A whole division being promoted sounds... irregular. No?

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
02-18-2013, 11:44 AM
(02-18-2013 07:33 AM)Ja Karta Wrote:  A whole division being promoted sounds... irregular. No?

it does, I just noticed a lot of players from Broad Turtle are now in Round Feather with me. It may not have been the whole division, but it could have been a significant portion of it.

02-18-2013, 03:27 PM
(02-17-2013 01:59 PM)Ja Karta Wrote:  Okay. Next weekend I'm writing them a new ranking algorithm.
This is ridiculous.
I realize they won't use it. But at least I'll feel like I've tried.
Current ranking is problematic in so many ways. (And ultimately negatively impacts conversion I'm willing to bet.)

(And no: I won't suggest ELO. ELO is okay, but they can do better by a number of metrics including both accurate representation of skill and accessibility of score [which ideally will give a direct percentile ranking] to casual players. ... fine, I'll do a modified ELO [that takes into account non-Gaussian distribution of human play and a raw ranking estimate] [[Yes. I realize no one has said anything for me to respond to Tongue ]])

Gee sounds fun. Would support. The way currently is really messed up and I agree. You're getting 20+ points for a win and 1 for a loss regardless who you're playing. I think they said they were gonna change the points to more reflect your skill, but I haven't seen it yet

iPro