Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do chess players have an advantage?
01-26-2013, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2013 11:08 PM by Ja Karta.)
RE: Do chess players have an advantage?
(01-26-2013 06:13 AM)^=discipulus=^ Wrote:  I would rather outwitters to use an elo system rather than this random bs system they currently use.

As far as I can tell the underlying skill ranking system is basically analagous to ELO. What's missing? (League ranking is different, but who cares about that?)

Also: ELO is far from perfect for a few reasons even in chess, in particular it's based on a Guassian assumption that, empirically, does not hold true. It's even less applicable to a game like Outwitters though. ELO is semi-appropriate for a comeptitive environment where everyone is playing under semi-consistent conditions. People play outwitters drunk, tired, stressed, whatever. You'd definitely not want to use ELO.

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm a chess player, but more of an enthusiastic amateur...and it hasn't really helped me with Outwitters. I started in Clever, stayed in Clever for a few months, dropped the game cos I couldn't progress, picked it up a month ago and dropped to Fluffy before picking myself back up into Clever... This may just be because I suck at both Big Grin

Zakalwe42
Finally attained Gifted League we'll see how long that lasts.
01-26-2013, 06:14 PM
as far as I am aware, it's an honour to be put in clever first thing. I spent half a year getting my fluffy-clever promotion

Once a master of nothing, now a noob to pretty much everything.
Hiatus resolved. I stalk these hallways again.
GC Silent_Dynasty because I'm indecisive and whatever ;u;
01-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Really? I didn't realise most people had to rise up from Fluffy. I won 3 of 5 of my first placement matches though, so I guess that helps Tongue

Zakalwe42
Finally attained Gifted League we'll see how long that lasts.
01-27-2013, 02:32 AM
(01-26-2013 10:11 AM)Ja Karta Wrote:  
(01-26-2013 06:13 AM)^=discipulus=^ Wrote:  I would rather outwitters to use an elo system rather than this random bs system they currently use.

As far as I can tell the underlying skill ranking system is basically analagous to ELO. What's missing? (League ranking is different, but who cares about that?)

Also: ELO is far from perfect for a few reasons even in chess, in particular it's based on a Guassian assumption that, empirically, does not hold true. It's even less applicable to a game like Outwitters though. ELO is semi-appropriate for a comeptitive environment where everyone is playing under semi-consistent conditions. People play outwitters drunk, tired, stressed, whatever. You'd definitely not want to use ELO.
You don't have to drink and wit. There is an entire thread on how to avoid it. And generally I use outwitters to tune out everything anyways so I would say Elo is appropriate the mathematical formula is written such that as long as you don't have an Elo feeder which once you are in clever I doubt you would have one. I have never seen the underlying formula on outwitters but it seems bizzAre if it is as close as you say but it uses a point system
01-28-2013, 03:38 PM
I like how chess has the same turn thing, and the choices/pinning that you can perform.
i like to pin units down in Outwitters with threats of attacks. i also like to make them take a choice, you know the times where you can only save 1. Wits function like actions extremely well, because its not just how quickly you can take some thing, but its also how efficiently you can take it. even though it may be fast, it can put you behind later.

Anyone tried HexChess....

the 2 things i like most about "Chinese Checkers" is;
1. The turn mechanic, how some turns are more efficient, you only move once per turn and the plan ahead. often the most efficient method in one turn will put you behind later.
2. The HEXAGON arrangement of the circle tiles.. yay hexagons Big Grin

Chess,Go,Chinese,Hanpo Checkers and all the others were made back then. It would be way too difficult to understand this stuff without a UI like Outwitters....... Outwitters with no specials(super balance) would be a great chess alt, but the maps tend to dictate strategies....

Up for Friendliez! Gifted League GCID: braytos
[Image: sig.png]
01-30-2013, 06:27 AM
I play competitive chess and I can say that outwitters is very very similar. So yes, definitely an advantage