Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do chess players have an advantage?
01-26-2013, 05:40 AM
Do chess players have an advantage?
Curiosity strikes the Talon again. Does anyone think that a chess player who had never played Outwitters before would be better at Outwitters first time; or perhaps an Outwitters player who had never played chess before be better at chess? Or, even better, are there any chess/Outwitters players here?

Once a master of nothing, now a noob to pretty much everything.
Hiatus resolved. I stalk these hallways again.
GC Silent_Dynasty because I'm indecisive and whatever ;u;
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2013, 05:44 AM
RE: Do chess players have an advantage?
I think people who have a strong strategic mind will excel at Outwitters moreso than someone who does not. Good chess players are like this, so yeah. I know there are a few people here who used to be/are competitive chess players.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
01-26-2013, 06:04 AM
Yes, in both directions for the reason stated by GreatGonzales.

In Chess, you think carefully about probable sequences of moves based upon what your next move is. If I capture this pawn with my pawn, then he'll capture my pawn with his pawn, I'll capture that pawn with this other pawn, he'll capture my pawn with his bishop, I'll recapture with my bishop, and I come out ahead.

In Outwitters, you can kind of do something similar, but it's very different for a number of reasons.

Outwitters is not a game of perfect information. The fog of war prevents you from at all times knowing exactly what units your opponent has and where they are. This is not a part of standard Chess.

Outwitters allows you to spawn new units. Therefore, in addition to considering what units your opponent already has, you must attempt to anticipate what unit your opponent might spawn on the next turn. Chess has no unit spawning.

Outwitters allows multiple moves per turn based on how many wits you have to spend. So you have to think about how many wits your opponent has to spend. Can he pull off the perfect defense, or is he short one wit? In Chess, you move one piece each turn (two when castling, Tongue).

So Chess strategy doesn't translate exactly to Outwitters or vice versa, but obviously, there is some overlap, and being good at one will certainly not hurt your chances at the other.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-26-2013, 06:13 AM
The answer to your question is yes. In chess and outwitters both the way to excell is to plan 5 moves ahead. I personally played chess before outwitters and once I realized what all the characters did I believe my chess experience helped me. In the same note this is why I would rather outwitters to use an elo system rather than this random bs system they currently use.
01-26-2013, 06:30 AM
You can search for an interesting thread from a month or two ago about this topic
01-26-2013, 07:48 AM
Probablllyyyy...... Yes.
01-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Definitely. I was launched from Clever to Master just because of my way of thinking that I brought from chess. From then on it was a case of learning the game more in depth.

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
01-26-2013, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2013 09:11 AM by GoHeat 3.)
(01-26-2013 07:51 AM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  Definitely. I was launched from Clever to Master just because of my way of thinking that I brought from chess. From then on it was a case of learning the game more in depth.
And I was stuck in Fluffy because Outwitters is the only strategy game I've ever played!

GC: GoHeat3
Super-Titan

[Image: sig.png]
01-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Still play competitive chess, theres a thread started by Alvendor from a while back. O answer your Q: Yes

iPro Clan
01-26-2013, 09:07 AM
You were put in Fluffy too, GoHeat? And you're now top 200
How d'ya do that? Lol it's my life goal.

Once a master of nothing, now a noob to pretty much everything.
Hiatus resolved. I stalk these hallways again.
GC Silent_Dynasty because I'm indecisive and whatever ;u;