Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Board Games
01-04-2013, 02:50 PM
RE: Favorite Board Games
I just played dominion over the holidays and it was awesome. That's probably my favorite for now. I also love: clue, apples to apples, imaginiff, and sorry!

1v1: Gifted League
2v2 #140 with liner15
May the ninja frog be with you....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2013, 07:36 PM
(01-04-2013 01:56 PM)RandyDogz Wrote:  Stratego! Old school fog of war concept, kinda...

I loved this game as a kid!! Very interesting concept.
01-04-2013, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 09:20 PM by Eijolend.)
I play a wide variety of board games since I finally found some people, who are willing to invest time in them!

There are many interesting concepts out there, but the one that really sees regular play and also works well with the not quite as fanatic people in our group, is SmallWorld (published by DaysOfWonder).
Basically it's like risk but (nearly) without dice. You choose a race/special ability combination, which are different every game. But since you only get limited forces at some point you have to go into decline, basically giving your race up and choosing a new one to conquer the board with. After every turn you get points based on how many areas on the board you control (+abilites if applicable), and after a certain amount of rounds the player with the most points wins.
I like that there is no strategy that works every game, since the combinations of race + special ability are different every game (if you get an expansion or two the variations get really strong). It doesn't work very well with 2 players, since you really need to work together to take someone down that gets to pick a overpowered combination - but 3-5 players all play very well.
I'd definitely recommend this one to everyone interested in board games.

If you're not bored by now, maybe I share some thoughts on other games in the future.

(Also don't let me get started on Monopoly...)

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
01-04-2013, 11:53 PM
I like Smallworld, definitely a fun game. The thing about Monopoly is, most people who complain about it don't play by the actual rules. If you do use the rules, particularly the auction rules, and NO MONEY ON FREE PARKING!, the game lasts a couple hours and doesn't start to wear out its welcome.

Live your life as more than plastic.
01-05-2013, 03:18 AM
I've been looking at the game "Eclipse", it's a strategy game played on an expanding grid of Hexes that you place as you go. I saw some shots of the game in action, the field gets totally covered with little ships and boxes, which I like. Also, there's apparently "no bookkeeping", so I guess all the important information is on the field.

Another very unique one I came across is "Risk: Legacy". It's basically Risk on the first play through, but after every game, depending on what happens and who wins, the game changes. There are packs of cards and hidden compartments all over the box that you're not allowed to open or look at until you satisfy these conditions. And in the review I read, they accidentally found a hidden pack of cards taped under the cover of the lid that read, "Do not open. Ever."

Can you guys recommend any good tabletop strategy games? I've been looking. I used to play Heroscape, since I liked building the map each time, but all the combat damage is assigned through random die rolls, so my ability to strategize is severely limited.

Gamecenter: EmuchuSuper-Titan Top 200, #34
"How'd you fix it?"
"I just employed a blunt-impact mechanical stress routine."
"What?"
"I kicked it."
01-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Risk: Legacy I'd fun if you can get a regular group together. You get to tear up cards, and put stickers and write on the board. As far as strategy games, are you looking for something with little or no luck?

01-07-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm surprised that the YouTube show TableTop hasn't been mentioned yet on this thread. It's hosted by Wil Wheaton and presents board games with 3 more or less well known people. That's how I stumbled across Zombie Dice. I've brought it to several gatherings of friends and it is just a blast. Mind you, it's a totally random press-your-luck dice game, but it got BRAAAAAIIIINSS and Zombies, so who cares?

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2013, 04:35 AM
I like GIPF and TZAAR (planning on getting the rest of the GIPF Project games, but so far I only have these two). Belgian abstract hex-grid strategy games. TAMSK looks super-interesting, but it's slightly harder to find, I think.

I'm very fond of Chess, but I haven't played in a few years.

If Icehouse counts as a board game, then Icehouse! Though I haven't played in forever because I have no one to play with.

Let's see... what else?

Pirateer is fun, I suppose.

I used to play the iOS version of Carcassonne, but I prefer playing Outwitters these days.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2013, 01:14 PM
(01-03-2013 08:01 PM)Judment Wrote:  Warhammer 40,000 and Fantasy (Chaos Daemons, Chaos Space Marines, Space Marines, Tyranids, Skaven and High Elves (I maybe a little but addicted to these two games))
Settlers of Catan
Carcassone
Risk
M:tG
Starting DnD next week

Settlers of catan... Oh the nostalgia...
02-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Zombicide. I was the only one to survive.