Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What would your special unit be able to do?
02-07-2013, 03:05 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2013 03:20 AM by John3:16.)
RE: What would your special unit be able to do?
Somewhat along the lines of what necrocat posted, maybe a unit that buffs? I'll call it the Schwarzennegar

Swarzzenegar:

Ability: buff a unit to either:
- Do 1 more damage next hit
- Move 1 more hex next move
- Take 1 less damage next hit
- Gain 2 (1?) more visibility (stays unless placed on another unit)

Each buff can only be placed on one unit at a time

Complicated game mechanics, which is probably against the game design sensibilities of OML.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" - John 3:16
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2013, 03:29 AM
(02-07-2013 03:05 AM)John3:16 Wrote:  Somewhat along the lines of what necrocat posted, maybe a unit that buffs? I'll call it the Schwarzennegar

Swarzzenegar:

Ability: buff a unit to either:
- Do 1 more damage next hit
- Move 1 more hex next move
- Take 1 less damage next hit
- Gain 2 (1?) more visibility (stays unless placed on another unit)

Each buff can only be placed on one unit at a time

Complicated game mechanics, which is probably against the game design sensibilities of OML.

I think that's a very awesome concept but it does go against the simplicity of the interface and would make it a little packed. I think if you packed the +1 damage and +1 hex as a 1 wit buff. If that turns out to be too overpowered you could bump the cost up to 2 wits or make the buffs lost on being hit, or if it's underpowered the damage buffed +2. However the increased movement could be a bad thing (snipers Tongue) and the animations could look wierd.

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
02-07-2013, 05:36 AM
I don't see how a special that makes snipers move one space farther is OP when mobi can already do that, but better and for less wits (Governator up there would cost 2-3: 1 to buff, 1 to move, 1 to shoot where Mobi costs 1-3: 1 to teleport, 1 to shoot, plus 1 to move if you moved the Mobi)

a power and movement buffing unit would balance things nicely I think. A buffed sniper could take out a 4 health Bombshell at a range of 5, so it'd break turtles wonderfully if used right

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
02-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Ducks that shit atom bombs.

I like big BUTs and I cannot lie...
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
2health
3spaces
Lays mines that can be avoided, but if landed on they do 3 damage and if attacked they do1 Damage recoil
02-08-2013, 07:59 AM
How about a special that could turn it's units invisable for 3 turns are until the invisable unit attacks?
02-08-2013, 08:02 AM
(02-08-2013 07:59 AM)Willythewile Wrote:  How about a special that could turn it's units invisable for 3 turns are until the invisable unit attacks?

*invisible.

I like this idea! 3 turns might be a bit much though. Maybe just 1 turn (i.e. Player 1 makes unit invisible, Player 2 goes, Player 1 goes, then the unit is revealed). I guess that's 3 turns overall.. but I think what you meant was 3 of Player 1's turns.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
02-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Forgive me if these concepts stink, but I tend to have a very cosmetic way of thinking. I only have two possibly usable ideas.

The first is a cowboy esque themed team of puppies. I think it's very cute and dogs alone are diverse, so crafting sprites for the units wouldn't be difficult at all, but I suppose all that is beside the point. I figured their team special would be a miner. You would plant the unit, and he would produce extra Wits each turn. Just how many Wits is debatable, because I wouldn't began to know how to balance such an indirect special.

Concept two is more cliche. A team of apparitions; easily diverse sprite potential (I can already see a soldier design as a ghostly character wearing a hood and holding a scythe). For their special I imagined a unit able to "resurrect" fallen units, perhaps for half the Wit price? I would think it would be unable to resurrect runners, since you can't make them any cheaper without them becoming free. If a unit is to be resurrected, this must take place the turn after its death, and the resurrected unit will be automatically pulled back to the special unit's location, similar to the Mobi.

I planned on drawing one or both of the teams' concept sketches up just for kicks, and maybe I still will.
02-09-2013, 10:41 AM
What about a team where the units are made of playdough and the special is a baby.
Health: 1
Movement: 4
Damage: None
Ability: Can upgrade adjacent units for 1 wit. Runners become soldiers. Soldiers become heavies. Heavies become snipers. You can upgrade as much as you want if you have the wit. Their current hp wouldn't change but they can be healed. Heavy to sniper would drop to 1 hp whether the heavy was healed or not. Units can't move after they have been upgraded but can attack.

[Image: remur.gif]

Click it. You know you want to.
02-09-2013, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 01:32 PM by ElPared.)
(02-08-2013 08:17 AM)SplinteredReverence Wrote:  Forgive me if these concepts stink, but I tend to have a very cosmetic way of thinking. I only have two possibly usable ideas.

The first is a cowboy esque themed team of puppies. I think it's very cute and dogs alone are diverse, so crafting sprites for the units wouldn't be difficult at all, but I suppose all that is beside the point. I figured their team special would be a miner. You would plant the unit, and he would produce extra Wits each turn. Just how many Wits is debatable, because I wouldn't began to know how to balance such an indirect special.

Concept two is more cliche. A team of apparitions; easily diverse sprite potential (I can already see a soldier design as a ghostly character wearing a hood and holding a scythe). For their special I imagined a unit able to "resurrect" fallen units, perhaps for half the Wit price? I would think it would be unable to resurrect runners, since you can't make them any cheaper without them becoming free. If a unit is to be resurrected, this must take place the turn after its death, and the resurrected unit will be automatically pulled back to the special unit's location, similar to the Mobi.

I planned on drawing one or both of the teams' concept sketches up just for kicks, and maybe I still will.

I like both, but making a resurrection unit would be difficult programming-wise. How about instead if an allied unit dies within the Special's movement/vision range it gets returned to play with 1 health?

movement: 3
attack: 0
health: 1 (2 boosted)
cost: 7
ability: Persistence

it might also be funny if instead it's ability was that any unit that dies in it's movement/vision range is replaced with a zombie that has 1 movement, 1 damage, 1 health and doesn't give bonus wits when it dies, or something. Doesn't really bring units back, just replaces them with the zombie.

lol idk, cool ideas though Smile

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome