Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Outwitters Map Creator
12-17-2012, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2013 01:40 AM by Harti.)
Outwitters Map Creator
>> CLICK HERE FOR THE NEW THREAD <<

I would like to introduce you to the Outwitters Map Creator! Many people have asked for an in-game map creator as a feature request. While this would be enourmously awesome, it is a highly unlikely thing to ever happen as its development effort would exceed the benefit.

However, I always felt like we should be able to give OML new ideas for maps so they could maybe throw a couple of them in when it comes to developing new teams (or simply as additional maps for the current teams).
I used to do that via Photoshop. But firstly, I made a couple of mistakes gameplaywise, and secondly, it was really really cumbersome to shift a few things around to tweak this or that.

So I came to create this new tool for quickly creating a map: The Outwitters Map Creator - BETA.

I haven't yet put too much effort into the overall design and Feedback/Adorables/Veggienauts support because I didn't feel like knocking all the backgrounds out to retrieve the sprites from the game. If One Man Left is willing to assist this project, though, I'll be adding these assets in future updates.

Also note that, at this point of time, there is no Firefox, Opera and (mobile) Safari support. The application has been tested in Chome 23 (works as intended), Internet Explorer 9 (a little blurry but flawless functionality-wise), Chrome for iOS on the iPad 3 (fluent but cannot load maps) and Mobile Safari for iOS on the iPad 3 (sometimes laggy, cannot load maps).

Example Map:
Beloved Sharkfood Island

What else I'm planning to implement:
- Choose between X-axis, Y-axis and point symmetry (this is going to be a toughie, though, so that'll have really low priority)
- Forking maps: Take an existing map as a draft to create a slightly adjusted one.
- Apply respective team's style to the map (Veggie terrain for Veggie maps, etc...)
- Firefox and Opera support (I'm currently in the dark about what's wrong though, any web developer's hint is welcome!)
- Machination, Candy Core Mine and Acrospire
- A page to browse all maps.
- Map ratings (high effort... only maybe - use the forums!)

What I'm NOT going to implement:
- Specials (what kind of balanced map would have Specials as a predeployed unit?)
- HP numbers (this is not supposed to be a strategy board to plan your turns Wink )

Thanks for your feedback and enjoy the map sharing!
Whenever you receive an error message or something just put a screenshot up this thread or copy the error message, thanks!

Harti
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2012, 08:35 AM
RE: Outwitters Map Creator
Amazing. Thanks Harti!

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
12-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Good job releasing it all smoothly Harti Smile

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
12-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Cool. It appears to clog safari on my ipad but i will definitely check it out on my mac...

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
12-17-2012, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2012 09:35 AM by CombatEX.)
Yay!

Long Nine

The name was already taken so Harti has probably made it already, but oh well. It was fun anyway and surprisingly easy to use. Great job!

I wasn't able to add the soldiers or heavies to the correct spots though. It wouldn't let me put any units on those spaces =/ I could put soldiers and heavies elsewhere though...

Also some of the terrain tiles seem to have disappeared.

12-17-2012, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2012 09:36 AM by Harti.)
(12-17-2012 09:29 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  Yay!

Long Nine

The name was already taken so Harti has probably made it already, but oh well. It was fun anyway and surprisingly easy to use. Great job!

Haha, sorry. I knew I should have put all these into the opening post. Map IDs 1-12 are the official maps by One Man Left. Smile (except 10-12 are only reserved right now as I didn't have the time to create them).

Did the unit placement not work or did you forget? :O
(Okay nevermind, I think it was my browser lagging?)

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
12-17-2012, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2012 09:42 AM by CombatEX.)
Wait, every time I load the map it seems a few of the terrain tiles disappear. Also, I did forget the units originally, but then I put them in. However, I was unable to put the heavy and soldier on the correct spaces. They wouldn't show up.

Er... I decided to completely exit chrome and load it again. Now the soldier shows up and the disappearing terrain tiles are back. I guess I'll try adding the heavy again.

EDIT: There. Heavy is in the right place =) Hopefully that was just a temporary issue. I wonder what happened. I tried loading the page and refreshing it a few times but the tiles just kept disappearing until I restarted the browser. I'll play around with the editor a bit more and see if that issue comes up again. It wasn't a problem when editing, but when viewing the map after I saved it and tried to view it again from my forum link.

12-17-2012, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2012 09:42 AM by Harti.)
This is interesting. Up until now everything worked very fluently. Either I have a hacker on my service or some bug suddenly appeared.

/edit: Okay I think I sorted it out. Therefore I removed the transition animation that occured when clicking a hex with terrain. It overloaded the browser sometimes.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
12-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Ah okay. Glad it's not just me. Hope that fixed it!

12-17-2012, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2012 10:23 AM by game_taker.)
OMG LETS FIX PEEKABOO

Edit:
Here is my attempt: Peekaboo fix