Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
National Outwitters League [Started!]
03-11-2014, 11:12 PM
RE: National Outwitters League [sign-ups open]
I do not completely understand the NFL system, but I like to learn it.

MariBK
top 200: #81
Master
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2014, 11:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 08:22 AM by The Great Habudabi.)
Nevermind. I have decided to quit playing instead. Angry

[PETA] Cor13:4 Wrote:Mobi killed the Scallywag star,
He hit him on the base with his sniper from afar,
He tried to block the alley, but didn't get far,
That's how the Mobi killed the Scallywag star

Best Feedback rank (TGH) 3rd
Best Adorables rank (-DF-) 12th
Best Scallywags rank (-TAM-) 25th
03-12-2014, 12:29 AM
(03-11-2014 11:12 PM)MariBK Wrote:  I do not completely understand the NFL system, but I like to learn it.

MariBK
Master

Basically in the interest of creating parity, the NFL has a very specific way of scheduling. You play the other 3 teams in your division twice. Then you are assigned an AFC division and an NFC division that you play against. Then for your last 2 games, you play the teams that finished with the same rank as you in their division within your conference. For example:

I am the Patriots. I play the 3 AFC East teams twice (6). Then say I play the NFC North and AFC North for example. That's 8 more games. Now, let's say I won my division last year. My final 2 games will be against the division winners from the AFC South and West.

The idea is that I have 2 harder games then the others in my division. In turn, the last place finishers have 2 easier games because they get to play last place teams. This is one reason why there is usually 1 or 2 NFL teams that have a big improvement each year if they were fortunate to play an easy division and a last place schedule (and possibly get crushed in the playoffs). The fun thing for outwitters is that it might allow a lower ranked player to get a wild card slot because they will play more games against players close to their rank.

[Image: sig.png]
03-12-2014, 02:04 AM
Perhaps we could just make up our own team names than. The important thing is getting the match ups right, based on the NFL system. Whatever name a player comes up with wouldn't really matter.

Live your life as more than plastic.
03-12-2014, 02:56 AM
(03-12-2014 02:04 AM)spacechef Wrote:  Perhaps we could just make up our own team names than. The important thing is getting the match ups right, based on the NFL system. Whatever name a player comes up with wouldn't really matter.

I don't really like that, not only because it would make it harder on my end, but also it goes against the spirit of the tourney.

03-12-2014, 03:13 AM
Tnx for the explanation. So before the play offs we play 16 games and have two cut off moments in order to determine whom to play against.

I am really curious (and excited) how this works out...

(03-12-2014 12:29 AM)HuskyPete Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 11:12 PM)MariBK Wrote:  I do not completely understand the NFL system, but I like to learn it.

MariBK
Master

Basically in the interest of creating parity, the NFL has a very specific way of scheduling. You play the other 3 teams in your division twice. Then you are assigned an AFC division and an NFC division that you play against. Then for your last 2 games, you play the teams that finished with the same rank as you in their division within your conference. For example:

I am the Patriots. I play the 3 AFC East teams twice (6). Then say I play the NFC North and AFC North for example. That's 8 more games. Now, let's say I won my division last year. My final 2 games will be against the division winners from the AFC South and West.

The idea is that I have 2 harder games then the others in my division. In turn, the last place finishers have 2 easier games because they get to play last place teams. This is one reason why there is usually 1 or 2 NFL teams that have a big improvement each year if they were fortunate to play an easy division and a last place schedule (and possibly get crushed in the playoffs). The fun thing for outwitters is that it might allow a lower ranked player to get a wild card slot because they will play more games against players close to their rank.
03-12-2014, 03:27 AM
Yes so after 16 games, the 4 division winners with the best record get a bye. The other 4 division winners get a first round match with one of the 4 wild card teams. Sorry jchris. Not meaning to overstep. I'm just explaining the NFL! Lol

03-12-2014, 03:54 AM
Might as well sign up for this too:

lawtai
unranked
Master

03-12-2014, 06:52 AM
I think the idea of using the NFL teams is a good one, because then it's easy to look at the schedule and figure out who plays who.

GC name: amoffett11
1v1 Super-Titan
2v2 with .Memories. and 2v2 random Master League

Until you stalk and overrun you can't devour anyone
03-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Jchris, so once you have the 32 teams filled, all 16 games start simultaneously? Or over a certain period of time?