Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Forum Feedback thread.
10-20-2014, 08:13 AM
RE: New Forum Feedback thread.
I only like the emoticons. They're so interesting because you wouldn't expect the emoticons you could get with every letter you type. Big Grin

I am GameCenter's Chemoeum.

RIP, DL banner.

Explosions.

Go here!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-21-2014, 11:24 AM
(10-20-2014 02:59 AM).Memories. Wrote:  My routine is to check the main page, see which forums have new threads (mostly ignore Poppycock and TTL), then dig into OW and DL posts. This process seems more difficult in Discourse (I'm not saying impossible, just more work).
On this topic, if you want a more traditional top down approach, going to the categories page as your landing page would provide similar functionality. It shows the latest top threads, and highlights any you haven't read new posts in. Given the TTL and poppycock forum have a tiny amount of activity compared to OW, I think seeing the latest postings would work out in time. Currently the import process is just dumping all posts at basically the 'same time' hence the slight jumbling.

Also, in regards to keeping up with new content. In the preferences for your profile you can track Outwitters and DL. this means any new activity there will automatically get put towards your unread count. So visiting your unread section simply gives you a timeline of things that have happened for categories you're interested in.

(10-20-2014 02:59 AM).Memories. Wrote:  Also, with the "conversation" style of threads, I believe structured threads (tournaments, guides, etc) will become more difficult to maintain and organize.

Can you be more specific as to which functionality in myBB helps with this that discourse is lacking?

(10-20-2014 02:59 AM).Memories. Wrote:  With Discourse, you have to filter by category, then scroll through a list of single phrase headings to find what you want (no author, no timestamp, no post count).

This was a mistake on my part. I may also not have stressed enough how the current theme is a work in progress. The CSS was broken for a little while. It's fixed now and displays everything you mentioned in the above quote.
[Image: Screen%20Shot%202014-10-20%20at%209.14.34%20PM.png]

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan
10-21-2014, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2014 11:28 AM by onealexleft.)
(10-20-2014 03:53 AM)Harti Wrote:  Well, basically for "clan only" checking we could always use bookmarks to quickly see what's happening. I don't see that as much of an issue.

In your profile preferences you can go a step further beyond just 'tracking' your clan sub-forum and 'watch' it. basically giving you an email when activity happens there. Can even reply to the email so you don't have to fiddle with launching a browser to make a post. Handy for mobile on-the-go.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan
10-21-2014, 12:05 PM
I'm super anti-email with forum posts, it's a lot of clutter. I like how it has been.

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
10-21-2014, 12:12 PM
I would prefer having both options just like some pages do: mobile site, and web site. It'd be awesome. I actually prefer this current forum system. But well, I'll have to agree with the last decision.

For example the thread of the GG Champions League was moved but because of the system format it changed everything and of course it doesn't look cool. With everythig cluttered I don't think it's actually possible to make it look the same way. Maybe I am just ignorant.

Don't neglect your fellowship with God, family and study by playing video games. Be organized with your time

GC name: jesusfuentesh
Super-Titan 1v1; 2v2
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-21-2014, 12:24 PM
(10-21-2014 12:12 PM)jesusfuentesh Wrote:  I would prefer having both options just like some pages do: mobile site, and web site. It'd be awesome. I actually prefer this current forum system. But well, I'll have to agree with the last decision.

For example the thread of the GG Champions League was moved but because of the system format it changed everything and of course it doesn't look cool. With everythig cluttered I don't think it's actually possible to make it look the same way. Maybe I am just ignorant.

Cool, thanks for pointing that out. With an example I can see what works and what doesn't and whether it'd yield something better than what we have now.

10-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Just checking... These current forums will still be working for a while, right? Because for the Elite Championship, my plan is to keep using these forums, because I don't want to have to keep track of two threads. Also, I want those clickable OSN links so that I can easily view the tourney games.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

[Image: sig.png]
10-21-2014, 04:42 PM
(10-21-2014 12:05 PM)[PETA] Doodat Wrote:  I'm super anti-email with forum posts, it's a lot of clutter. I like how it has been.

It's just another option for users should they wish to use it.

I think the new forums will just need to experience more use and for everyone to become more familiar with it. It's quite a change at first glance, but as you get around to using it, there is much more similarity to the more 'conventional' forums than it seems.
10-22-2014, 12:22 AM
(10-21-2014 11:24 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  
(10-20-2014 02:59 AM).Memories. Wrote:  My routine is to check the main page, see which forums have new threads (mostly ignore Poppycock and TTL), then dig into OW and DL posts. This process seems more difficult in Discourse (I'm not saying impossible, just more work).
On this topic, if you want a more traditional top down approach, going to the categories page as your landing page would provide similar functionality. It shows the latest top threads, and highlights any you haven't read new posts in. Given the TTL and poppycock forum have a tiny amount of activity compared to OW, I think seeing the latest postings would work out in time. Currently the import process is just dumping all posts at basically the 'same time' hence the slight jumbling.

Also, in regards to keeping up with new content. In the preferences for your profile you can track Outwitters and DL. this means any new activity there will automatically get put towards your unread count. So visiting your unread section simply gives you a timeline of things that have happened for categories you're interested in.

Thanks for pointing these things out - I'll be sure to give them a try.

(10-20-2014 02:59 AM).Memories. Wrote:  Also, with the "conversation" style of threads, I believe structured threads (tournaments, guides, etc) will become more difficult to maintain and organize.

Can you be more specific as to which functionality in myBB helps with this that discourse is lacking?

Jesus gave a good example, I think. Not as much a problem on desktop (more screen space), but it seems that mobile threads are a bit cluttered.

(10-20-2014 02:59 AM).Memories. Wrote:  With Discourse, you have to filter by category, then scroll through a list of single phrase headings to find what you want (no author, no timestamp, no post count).

This was a mistake on my part. I may also not have stressed enough how the current theme is a work in progress. The CSS was broken for a little while. It's fixed now and displays everything you mentioned in the above quote.

Thanks for letting me know this isn't a Discourse flaw Smile. Is it possible to include hours and not just days? I've never really liked the "x days ago" way of looking at time, as opposed to an actual time, but I suppose that's the new trend.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
10-22-2014, 05:11 AM
(10-22-2014 12:22 AM).Memories. Wrote:  Thanks for letting me know this isn't a Discourse flaw Smile. Is it possible to include hours and not just days? I've never really liked the "x days ago" way of looking at time, as opposed to an actual time, but I suppose that's the new trend.

Not sure on that. The only time it does 'hours' is if it less than a day old.

(10-22-2014 12:22 AM).Memories. Wrote:  Jesus gave a good example, I think. Not as much a problem on desktop (more screen space), but it seems that mobile threads are a bit cluttered.

I'm currently working on the OSN link parser for discourse. As for formatting, there's only so much the importer will do. For threads that are being actively used during the transition, the author would simply have to format things again. This becomes a non-issue post my-BB. Formatting functionality is there, just a slight learning curve for less common features (while bbcode works for the most part, markdown is a bit quicker to type out).