One Man Left Studios Community Forums
National Outwitters League [Started!] - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tournaments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: National Outwitters League [Started!] (/showthread.php?tid=3256)

RE: National Outwitters League [sign-ups open] - MariBK - 03-11-2014 11:12 PM

I do not completely understand the NFL system, but I like to learn it.

MariBK
top 200: #81
Master

RE: National Outwitters League [sign-ups open] - The Great Habudabi - 03-11-2014 11:27 PM

Nevermind. I have decided to quit playing instead. Angry

RE: National Outwitters League [sign-ups open] - HuskyPete - 03-12-2014 12:29 AM

(03-11-2014 11:12 PM)MariBK Wrote:  I do not completely understand the NFL system, but I like to learn it.

MariBK
Master

Basically in the interest of creating parity, the NFL has a very specific way of scheduling. You play the other 3 teams in your division twice. Then you are assigned an AFC division and an NFC division that you play against. Then for your last 2 games, you play the teams that finished with the same rank as you in their division within your conference. For example:

I am the Patriots. I play the 3 AFC East teams twice (6). Then say I play the NFC North and AFC North for example. That's 8 more games. Now, let's say I won my division last year. My final 2 games will be against the division winners from the AFC South and West.

The idea is that I have 2 harder games then the others in my division. In turn, the last place finishers have 2 easier games because they get to play last place teams. This is one reason why there is usually 1 or 2 NFL teams that have a big improvement each year if they were fortunate to play an easy division and a last place schedule (and possibly get crushed in the playoffs). The fun thing for outwitters is that it might allow a lower ranked player to get a wild card slot because they will play more games against players close to their rank.

RE: National Outwitters League [sign-ups open] - spacechef - 03-12-2014 02:04 AM

Perhaps we could just make up our own team names than. The important thing is getting the match ups right, based on the NFL system. Whatever name a player comes up with wouldn't really matter.

RE: National Outwitters League [sign-ups open] - jchris98 - 03-12-2014 02:56 AM

(03-12-2014 02:04 AM)spacechef Wrote:  Perhaps we could just make up our own team names than. The important thing is getting the match ups right, based on the NFL system. Whatever name a player comes up with wouldn't really matter.

I don't really like that, not only because it would make it harder on my end, but also it goes against the spirit of the tourney.

RE: National Outwitters League [sign-ups open] - MariBK - 03-12-2014 03:13 AM

Tnx for the explanation. So before the play offs we play 16 games and have two cut off moments in order to determine whom to play against.

I am really curious (and excited) how this works out...

(03-12-2014 12:29 AM)HuskyPete Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 11:12 PM)MariBK Wrote:  I do not completely understand the NFL system, but I like to learn it.

MariBK
Master

Basically in the interest of creating parity, the NFL has a very specific way of scheduling. You play the other 3 teams in your division twice. Then you are assigned an AFC division and an NFC division that you play against. Then for your last 2 games, you play the teams that finished with the same rank as you in their division within your conference. For example:

I am the Patriots. I play the 3 AFC East teams twice (6). Then say I play the NFC North and AFC North for example. That's 8 more games. Now, let's say I won my division last year. My final 2 games will be against the division winners from the AFC South and West.

The idea is that I have 2 harder games then the others in my division. In turn, the last place finishers have 2 easier games because they get to play last place teams. This is one reason why there is usually 1 or 2 NFL teams that have a big improvement each year if they were fortunate to play an easy division and a last place schedule (and possibly get crushed in the playoffs). The fun thing for outwitters is that it might allow a lower ranked player to get a wild card slot because they will play more games against players close to their rank.

RE: National Outwitters League [sign-ups open] - HuskyPete - 03-12-2014 03:27 AM

Yes so after 16 games, the 4 division winners with the best record get a bye. The other 4 division winners get a first round match with one of the 4 wild card teams. Sorry jchris. Not meaning to overstep. I'm just explaining the NFL! Lol

RE: National Outwitters League [sign-ups open] - lawtai - 03-12-2014 03:54 AM

Might as well sign up for this too:

lawtai
unranked
Master

RE: National Outwitters League [sign-ups open] - amoffett11 - 03-12-2014 06:52 AM

I think the idea of using the NFL teams is a good one, because then it's easy to look at the schedule and figure out who plays who.

RE: National Outwitters League [sign-ups open] - mr_13en - 03-12-2014 01:00 PM

Jchris, so once you have the 32 teams filled, all 16 games start simultaneously? Or over a certain period of time?