One Man Left Studios Community Forums
2014 Outwitters World Cup! [Grand Final] - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tournaments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 2014 Outwitters World Cup! [Grand Final] (/showthread.php?tid=2821)

RE: 2014 Outwitters World Cup! [16 Players left] - [PETA] Cor13:4 - 04-26-2014 02:19 AM

(04-25-2014 11:41 PM)Pharmafan Wrote:  outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA3OfhqwoM

GG Cor!

I'd like to add commentary to this, because I thought it was an interesting game even though it looks like a blowout.

Commentary:
If you look at the Torbreck/Mag!c game where they were also both scallywags, you'll see the importance of being the first to set up a BS at a defendable position near the center line in Giltch as SvS.

I knew that a P2 scallywag player can usually get a BS out earlier because of the P2 8 starting wits in SvS on Glitch.

So I chose an opening to try to delay Pharma from getting a BS out at the center line by taking out his vision and put pressure early on. As P2 with no vision, he would either have to put a BS in the back, or delay a turn or two, hopefully giving me enough time to get out a BS.

My crucial mistake was that I put my soldier back to the wrong hex after he retreated on the right on turn 5. I meant to move him one hex over, which would have protected him from the heavy.

If I had moved him one hex to the left, I would have instead moved my heavy from center to the left and put my BS in the center where my heavy was on turn 7. This would have put Pharma in a tough position.

But once I made that mistake, it allowed him to put pressure on my center BS and I could not effectively defend it without that soldier on the right, thus, he took the center and I pretty much knew it was lost after that point.

Good game, Pharma, well played!

RE: 2014 Outwitters World Cup! [16 Players left] - Pharmafan - 04-26-2014 04:10 AM

(04-26-2014 02:19 AM)[PETA] Cor13:4 Wrote:  
(04-25-2014 11:41 PM)Pharmafan Wrote:  outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA3OfhqwoM

GG Cor!

I'd like to add commentary to this, because I thought it was an interesting game even though it looks like a blowout.

Commentary:
If you look at the Torbreck/Mag!c game where they were also both scallywags, you'll see the importance of being the first to set up a BS at a defendable position near the center line in Giltch as SvS.

I knew that a P2 scallywag player can usually get a BS out earlier because of the P2 8 starting wits in SvS on Glitch.

So I chose an opening to try to delay Pharma from getting a BS out at the center line by taking out his vision and put pressure early on. As P2 with no vision, he would either have to put a BS in the back, or delay a turn or two, hopefully giving me enough time to get out a BS.

My crucial mistake was that I put my soldier back to the wrong hex after he retreated on the right on turn 5. I meant to move him one hex over, which would have protected him from the heavy.

If I had moved him one hex to the left, I would have instead moved my heavy from center to the left and put my BS in the center where my heavy was on turn 7. This would have put Pharma in a tough position.

But once I made that mistake, it allowed him to put pressure on my center BS and I could not effectively defend it without that soldier on the right, thus, he took the center and I pretty much knew it was lost after that point.

Good game, Pharma, well played!

Thx for the commentaries, Cor! I was a bit busy when I just posted the replay and also wanted to mention something about this game later…..you were faster and nearly mentioned everything I was going to air Smile …..perfect….. Cool
My point is: I really like the opening you had chosen here! It is absolutely right what you are writing regarding this matchup on Glitch (of course….) and it really came down to the move of your soldier….which gave me a chance to counter your early aggression…..really interesting to think about this kind of opening IMO! GG!

RE: 2014 Outwitters World Cup! [16 Players left] - Alvendor - 04-26-2014 08:39 AM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAvJ2VxwoM
Before this game I didn't think it was possible to harass the top wit space, but hifimatlock caught me off guard wit a boosted runner and, I think, get slightly ahead in the beginning. But I defend and counter attack.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAvJ2VxwkM
Very slow moving positional game, is FvF on Glitch the new SvS on Peekaboo?

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAvN34wQkM
Think this is a good example why veggies is not really viable in many match ups. I got outplayed early game (thought it would be a good idea to skip vision, not get a runner and pump soldiers instead) and lost a lot on the first attack. But with a bombshell it is still possible to sit back and turtle hard. The first engage got me wit starved and it was tough to get back control of the wit space. But then when Scallys stabilise the position veggies can't really do anything.

GG hifimatlock

RE: 2014 Outwitters World Cup! [16 Players left] - Torbreck - 04-27-2014 11:15 AM

Boom!... the canon sounds and hifimatlock's name is emblazoned in the sky as we welcome our first contestant to the quarter finals - congrats Alvendor and GG hifimatlock!

RE: 2014 Outwitters World Cup! [15 Players left] - Hifimatlock - 04-27-2014 12:19 PM

Sad so sad

RE: 2014 Outwitters World Cup! [15 Players left] - Mag!cGuy - 04-27-2014 10:20 PM

Such epicness. Much wow.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAvOyV6QoM

RE: 2014 Outwitters World Cup! [15 Players left] - Torbreck - 04-27-2014 10:25 PM

And just as quickly the canon sounds again Sad. GG Mag!c you have (regrettably for me) relieved me of any potential moral issue I might have had about competing in the finals for the prizes !!!
I made a couple of dumb mistakes in that game and there are no second chances at this stage of the comp.... Well played.

RE: 2014 Outwitters World Cup! [14 Players left] - Hifimatlock - 04-28-2014 12:42 AM

(04-27-2014 10:20 PM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  Such epicness. Much wow.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAvOyV6QoM

Hehe fun to watch.

RE: 2014 Outwitters World Cup! [14 Players left] - Uyduruk - 04-28-2014 04:21 AM

My maiden victory against Hem in 8 or 9 tries. Straightforward AvA game without any mobis spawned. GG Hem

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwoKuzAkM

RE: 2014 Outwitters World Cup! [14 Players left] - thcdoremi - 04-30-2014 01:54 AM

Plate competition games
I think this is where I post them, right?

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwt6D8goM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwrrq9QsM