Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the factors that influence the points for winning/losing a game?
11-26-2012, 03:57 PM
RE: What are the factors that influence the points for winning/losing a game?
Chess is an unpopular game? News to me.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2012, 06:42 PM
(11-26-2012 03:57 PM)CombatEX Wrote:  Chess is an unpopular game? News to me.

I was thinking the same thing.
11-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Poker, a vastly worse game, is much more popular, because its variance means that people don't know their rating in the short to medium term.
11-27-2012, 05:52 AM
(11-26-2012 09:12 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  Poker, a vastly worse game, is much more popular, because its variance means that people don't know their rating in the short to medium term.

Vastly worse game? Vastly different game. And your stats are wrong. In the US, an estimated 15% of Americans play chess on a regular basis, while 13% play poker. There is an even larger gap for the rest of the world. To paraphrase something you posted earlier, are you just throwing out words?
11-27-2012, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012 05:59 AM by CombatEX.)
I don't doubt you worldfamous, but just out of curiosity, where did you find those numbers? I looked around briefly but I couldn't find figures like that.

At any rate garcia, even if poker were somehow more popular than chess, I don't know how you could know that it's mostly due to a lack of transparency in the ranking system. Do you have some sources?

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
11-27-2012, 06:43 AM
So, is this hidden rank thingy what rates the top 100 players?
11-27-2012, 06:52 AM
(11-27-2012 06:43 AM)Appleisaac Wrote:  So, is this hidden rank thingy what rates the top 100 players?

cant you see that the topic here is clearly chess? hahah
yeah i think so.

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
11-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Yeah lol I read the first page and then commented without reading the second Tongue. When placed on the second page, my post looks off topic >_<.
11-27-2012, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012 09:17 AM by alexjiang1.)
There are currently 51,000 registered USCF members (doesn't include those that play chess but don't participate in tournaments.) Chess is a very popular game (some would argue its a sport, and trust me playing a 4 hour game followed by a 30 min break and another 3+ hour game gets to you) worldwide mainly in Russia and other countries that made up the Soviet Union. I play chess actively and competitively myself and would be curious to see if chess correlates with outwitters in any way in term of ELO and outwitters league placement. In fact, outwitters might help your chess in terms of calculation.

iPro Clan
11-27-2012, 11:56 AM
(11-27-2012 05:59 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  At any rate garcia, even if poker were somehow more popular than chess, I don't know how you could know that it's mostly due to a lack of transparency in the ranking system. Do you have some sources?

Well, I don't have sources, but perhaps Anatoly Karpov, World Champion chessplayer, has: http://bigthink.com/ideas/20609
"Will Chess Ever Be as Popular as Poker?"

Maybe his opinion carries no weight, since he is actually just a former World Champion. So, this statement by Garry Kasparov, who is also not a current World Champion, would not matter much either: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives...-computer/
"Perhaps chess is the wrong game for the times. Poker is now everywhere, as amateurs dream of winning millions and being on television for playing a card game whose complexities can be detailed on a single piece of paper... Perhaps the current trend of many chess professionals taking up the more lucrative pastime of poker is not a wholly negative one."

Some people say that the New York Times is a trashy tabloid magazine with no journalistic worth. Those people would not be convinced by this link: http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/...ss-sizzle/
"For years, chess players have bemoaned that chess is not as popular as poker"