Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Game types
11-28-2012, 05:11 PM
RE: New Game types
I imagine that Adam and Alex prototyped and playtested a great many game types with a fairly wide variety of rules before they settled on the current 1v1 and 2v2 arrangements. As much as I like the idea of additional game modes, I have a few comments...

There Are No Spawn Spaces So Just Kill All the Enemies Mode - The idea is attractive on the surface, but I fear that in practice it would not be very fun. In general, I think what would happen is you'd be very wary about how far forward to move your units lest you inadvertently uncover one of your opponent's units in a position where he can simply hop forward and start killing your units. And since you have no spawn spaces to restore your lost units, whoever manages to strike first with a full turn of wits (as opposed to the 1 or 2 wits left after you jumped a unit forward a bit too far) gains a steep advantage. The spawn spaces and the existence of bases as the primary target were surely included in the game's rules to make the game more fun. Stripping them out would then... you know... make it less fun... probably...

4 Person Free for All - Again, this is an attractive idea. Since 2v2 works fairly well, maybe 1v1v1v1 might work, too, right? However, I wonder how the first turn advantage would play into this, especially since you would then have someone having to wait through the turns of three hostile players before moving. Do you give him 10 or 12 wits to start off with or something? On the other hand, what this mode would mean is that you couldn't just go for broke once you realize that you can destroy one of your enemy's bases. After that one is destroyed, you'd still have two more to deal with, and you'd still have to defend your own base from the remaining players. So it might actually affect your strategy a great deal. That is, of course, assuming that destroying one base doesn't immediately end the game as it does in 2v2.

Don't get me wrong... If OML came up with some fun new modes, I would more than happily play them, but I'd really be much more interested in seeing some new maps.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Everyman for himself idea is good. 4 players on map. Last to die earns most points. But likely you will see arrangements coordinated between players to finish off 1 guy first. Then it's Free for all for the remaining 3.
Find all posts by this user
11-28-2012, 05:19 PM
HEY GUYS. what about a SCENARIO?

e.g. Attacker gets 50 points to spend. Defender gets 40 points to spend. There are no spawn points. Attacker doesn't have a base. If attacker wins within, e.g. 20 turns, he wins, otherwise defender wins
11-28-2012, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2012 05:27 PM by TheQwertiest.)
defender will win. haha
(11-28-2012 05:17 PM)Jacs9 Wrote:  Everyman for himself idea is good. 4 players on map. Last to die earns most points. But likely you will see arrangements coordinated between players to finish off 1 guy first. Then it's Free for all for the remaining 3.

that would incredibly suck for the person chosen to be killed first. haha.
(11-28-2012 05:19 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  HEY GUYS. what about a SCENARIO?

e.g. Attacker gets 50 points to spend. Defender gets 40 points to spend. There are no spawn points. Attacker doesn't have a base. If attacker wins within, e.g. 20 turns, he wins, otherwise defender wins

i remember PvZ having somethingg similar

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
11-29-2012, 02:22 AM
love three hill domination idea, maybe a 50 turn 2 v 2 game and one point per domination spot per turn awarded, each team starts with one activated spot and the spot in the middle cannot be reached by a spawned runner.
11-29-2012, 02:07 PM
I just thought of a scrambler vs brambles/thorns idea, though I am not sure if it would work. Each team starts with a scrambler, and a bramble that cannot move. Then there would be a set number of branches on the map. The goal would be to use your scrambler to convert all the branches to your team.

It would be something like the "black/white tokens" game...othello is it?
11-29-2012, 02:37 PM
A 4 way free for all would be fun. In order to make it even better though, how about you have each player target a different player. Like player 1 wins if player 2 loses and player 2 wins if player 3 loses etc.
11-29-2012, 02:54 PM
How about Juggernaught, where one player gets +10 wits per turn, 10 base hp, and 3 spawn spaces, the other 3 players are on a team but play like normal (1 spawn space each).

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
12-01-2012, 06:52 PM
What about...

Sumo Smackdown:

You can only play as Heavies.It would be a game type with its own map with a 5 hex diameter ring and the aim of the game is to knock the other heavy out of the ring. Your heavies in this mode have a one hex knockback. OR you could be on their spawn space and killing their heavy. If your heavy dies you would be able to make another one but you may not have two heavies at once. It should have the best out of 3,5 or 7 concept aswell.
12-03-2012, 02:08 PM
I really like OW11's idea with the SumoHeavies, as well as the 1v1v1v1. But let's face it, I think there's a reason that the creators chose the current game mode because it was better. Also, it would be a ton Of work to add the extra modes and even then, they'd probably be DLC (noobie translation - you would have to buy them) just like the character packs and new bases. I think if we wait a little , maybe they'll have the time to think about new modes.