Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OML's mistake with Outwitters.
11-25-2012, 09:20 PM
OML's mistake with Outwitters.
When Outwitters came out, I didn't pay for it. However, fairly quickly I realised that unless I and others like me did pay, we'd probably lose an excellent game. Unfortunately not everyone thinks like this, and many will take advantage of OML's generosity.

What I don't think OML have realised is that non-paying players can access all the boards. So why would they pay?

I'm pretty sure that non-p(l)ayers only have access to the Adorables critters, and if they start a game, they only have access to one or two boards. BUT, if they join a league game or a friendly that has been started by someone else, they can play on all the boards.

Perhaps if they were restricted to those boards in ALL games, more would be enticed to buy the game, and give it the support it deserves.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2012, 12:23 AM
RE: OML's mistake with Outwitters.
New players that have not bought a team or über pack only have access to the scallywags. They do have access to all maps right off the bat, thus rendering your proposed solution irrelevant. In my opinion this is not a mistake, rather a basic marketing strategy.

Think about it, OML would want to "hook" as many new players as possible... Without maps there isn't really a game now is there? Sure you could restrict those people to just a few maps, but that doesn't necessarily give a good first impression to the consumer now does it?
11-26-2012, 02:38 AM
I think if they want to capture players interests so that they would pay for something is show off the abilities of the teams. When I first started playing I thought to myself I can just play with Scallywags, why would I need to pay? But when I looked into the characters and saw what the Adorables and Feedback teams can do I had my iTunes card ready and I was willing to pay. But I think if players were given a demo of the teams maybe it may get rid of some freeloaders. Or maybe not even a demo, maybe just information from the start about all the teams.

1v1 Gifted Gifted League

GC: Buzzlebee123
11-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Well, you can look in the HELP section and it tells you and shows you all the units. They already give you information about the other units, and what they look like.

Masters again finally Master League

Member of the Wolfpack clan.
11-26-2012, 05:54 AM
(11-26-2012 05:44 AM)Bluegodzill Wrote:  Well, you can look in the HELP section and it tells you and shows you all the units. They already give you information about the other units, and what they look like.

Maybe this is all stuff that should be in the starting tutorial? If I wasn't so fervently keeping up with OML news, the Bramble update could've gone totally over my head.

Gamecenter: EmuchuSuper-Titan Top 200, #34
"How'd you fix it?"
"I just employed a blunt-impact mechanical stress routine."
"What?"
"I kicked it."
11-26-2012, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2012 11:08 AM by pookywb.)
At least until you started seeing brambles appear all across your screen. Tongue

I AM THE 99.9997%!

[Image: sig.png]
11-26-2012, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012 05:50 AM by CombatEX.)
The main problem I see is letting free players have access to the league and the matchmaking system that comes with it. It would be more than generous enough to simply deny league and let free players only play friendly and pass and play. They still get to play an unlimited number of complete games, just not at a highly competitive level that comes with matchmaking. In fact, free players could technically still play high level matches if they join friendlies with good players around their skill level.

Ranked play would be unlocked with any purchase. Any free players who are still playing to this day are likely competitive and enjoy Outwitters enough that they would make a purchase to continue playing in matchmaking. Anyone who has played for so long and still isn't willing to give OML a little money shouldn't get to play ranked games. Let's be realistic, OML needs the money. Outwitters has been a financial failure. What kind of reward is that for these wonderful devs?

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
11-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Actually I believe that the financials must have significantly improved since the wired article. Many players play teams other than scallywags each of them must have purchased something. Then there are the real fans like us who probably have purchased more than they had if there wasnt that article either. Would be great to hear a word from oml whether their financials have improved.

I very much hope oml can make this a success still since their approach is a very noble exception as they didnt focus on maximisation of their bottom line but to maximise the gameplay for everybody without hidden traps sucking money.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
11-26-2012, 05:15 PM
In Team Fortress, everything was free except hats. You could pay money to get hats that changes the cosmetics of your guy. People loved spending hats. This is known as the "hat model". It's generally well regarded. The Outwitter base graphics is similar to this.
11-26-2012, 08:37 PM
(11-26-2012 04:41 PM)Random Task Wrote:  Actually I believe that the financials must have significantly improved since the wired article.

Hmm... That would be pretty decent. Confirmations, Adam? ^^