Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could devs make a global rankings chart?
11-21-2012, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2012 02:37 PM by daHsu.)
Could devs make a global rankings chart?
I know the top 200 are listed every week, but a majority of us aren't getting any love. (In fact, only 200 of us are!)

Listing everybody's rank would be very time consuming, but surely our ranks are recorded in a database somewhere? Everytime we make, win, or lose a game, decisions are made based on our ranks in this database.

Just thinking out loud here, but couldn't this information be published somewhere accessible? Like maybe under my divisions tab of the game, I could view rankings of all the players in every league. Or maybe add an extra section to this site that has a searchable database. Or maybe just tell me my ranking in my league!! The ranking in my division isn't helping very much Tongue

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2012, 04:23 PM
RE: Could devs make a global rankings chart?
They've mentioned in the past that its really hard for them to pull large amounts of information like that. Just pulling the top 100 requires a sacrificial goat each time, and when they moved to including the top 200?

Bees.
11-21-2012, 04:47 PM
A Game Center global rank would be neat and helpful in keeping people enthusiastic and playing the game. It is really quite unfair that at present, you only know where you stand if you are on the top 200 list. Also, please give us the list for the top players in 2v2. Honestly, there should be a list for 1v1, 2v2, and the combination of these two.

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
11-21-2012, 05:03 PM
I believe they want most people to look at the league rankings for "how do you place"

This has two benefits:
1) Encourages more games.
2) Most people suck, so league rankings make them feel good.

I doubt there are more than 200 seriously competitive players, and those guys can just look at the rankings. For everyone else, the fake league points are overall better.
11-21-2012, 05:10 PM
I think what daHsu is saying is that if the top 200 can be computed using a hidden ranking, then can this ranking be seen somewhere, like in the profile page, or as joelduque says, on GameCenter?

I also thought there might be a win-loss record on the profile pages for 1v1 and 2v2. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think all we need is a counter.

I'm sure some of these might take a lot of work/server space/time. But, well, these are just ideas Smile
11-21-2012, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2012 05:53 PM by joelduque.)
(11-21-2012 05:03 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  I believe they want most people to look at the league rankings for "how do you place"

This has two benefits:
1) Encourages more games.
2) Most people suck, so league rankings make them feel good.

I doubt there are more than 200 seriously competitive players, and those guys can just look at the rankings. For everyone else, the fake league points are overall better.

I do get your point. There is most likely more than 200 seriously competitive players. I won just 1-2 of my placement matches and got placed in the fluffy league. As a fluffy, I was already seriously competitive then and worked my way up. When I was already in the master league, I felt bad since I was playing my best and still not knowing where I stood since placing on that list was the only way I could know my absolute rank. I would consider some gifted and all active master to ST players as seriously competitive so it easily passes your 200-player mark. Also, factor in the total number of downloads. Smile

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
11-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Well that is true but I am sure the developers have good reason to do their league points system too! Perhaps if the 'true score' could be shown in a way that doesn't clash with the league points system, although that sounds challenging to do.
11-21-2012, 08:57 PM
(11-21-2012 05:52 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  Well that is true but I am sure the developers have good reason to do their league points system too! Perhaps if the 'true score' could be shown in a way that doesn't clash with the league points system, although that sounds challenging to do.

In Pokemon Showdown, your ACRE rating (the slightly arbitrary league score which is highly relative and dependent on activity) is shown next to your GXE, which is a calculated probability of your likeliness to win against a random opponent.

Gamecenter: EmuchuSuper-Titan Top 200, #34
"How'd you fix it?"
"I just employed a blunt-impact mechanical stress routine."
"What?"
"I kicked it."
11-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Idea: paying players get to see their true-skill value and global rank.

:o!
11-22-2012, 06:02 AM
(11-21-2012 08:57 PM)Emuchu Wrote:  
(11-21-2012 05:52 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  Well that is true but I am sure the developers have good reason to do their league points system too! Perhaps if the 'true score' could be shown in a way that doesn't clash with the league points system, although that sounds challenging to do.

In Pokemon Showdown, your ACRE rating (the slightly arbitrary league score which is highly relative and dependent on activity) is shown next to your GXE, which is a calculated probability of your likeliness to win against a random opponent.

Pokemon showdown? Is that in black and white two? Please tell me it is, then I actually have a reason to buy it other than the World championships Big Grin

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?