Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
observations about V1.2 and suggestions for V1.4
11-21-2012, 12:13 AM
RE: Update - initial observations
Ok here are some of my thoughts:

1. I think it's kind of unfair to apply the wit-for-kill changes to existing games. We've been planning our turns in those games for quite a while now, and then suddenly all those plans go out the window. I know we've been warned that an update is coming, but I always thought the changes would be for all NEW games.

2. The new spawn windowlooks good, but yes, after a few seconds, it gets really disturbing looking at the background.

3. I'll reserve my thoughts on the bramble. I haven't found a usefulway to use it yet Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2012, 01:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2012 01:48 AM by Magnum.)
poweewee : I agree for the 1 ! Games started before the update shouldn't have the "+1 wit for kill" rule.

About the 2, I really liked it; it doesn't matter that the background is blurred. Who cares about it, seriously ?

3. So far I haven't used it in league plays...

THOUGH, about the 8 wits given for Player 2. On map with only one spawn, I think 8 wits is too much, we should have 7 instead.

Game Center ID : 27 Pastore.
1v1 : Gifted
I'm up for friendly games to get better Tongue
11-21-2012, 01:48 AM
(11-21-2012 12:13 AM)poweewee Wrote:  3. I'll reserve my thoughts on the bramble. I haven't found a usefulway to use it yet :)

Here's a match I just finished that highlights a couple different bramble shenanigans options.

Linky

(Don't read much into the quality of the play on either side, this is still just 'experiment with the update' mode) :)
11-21-2012, 02:57 AM
(11-21-2012 12:13 AM)poweewee Wrote:  Ok here are some of my thoughts:

1. I think it's kind of unfair to apply the wit-for-kill changes to existing games. We've been planning our turns in those games for quite a while now, and then suddenly all those plans go out the window. I know we've been warned that an update is coming, but I always thought the changes would be for all NEW games.

2. The new spawn windowlooks good, but yes, after a few seconds, it gets really disturbing looking at the background.

3. I'll reserve my thoughts on the bramble. I haven't found a usefulway to use it yet Smile

I'm sure they would have done it that way (1) if it was possible. There's just no way to have 2 builds running concurrently. Plus you'd have to remember which games were started before the update and which were after. If you have a cue like mine, it would be a nightmare. As for the spawn window, I'm in and out of it so quickly that I didn't even notice it until everyone pointed it out.
11-21-2012, 03:05 AM
3) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THEY DIDN'T APPLY IT ON 2V2!!!!!!!
(SORRY FOR CAPS)

11-21-2012, 03:17 AM
Second opinion half into a game:
* O'boy, runners sucks pretty bad now!
* Runners being weak force you to make hard decisions on how much you want to scout. I like it.
* With runners going down in value, unboosted soldiers goes up.
* Boosted heavies seems pretty good against Veggienauts.
* Think the new system discourage turtling. But I'm worried about the bombshell. Wit for kill makes it easier to kill, but that is often not the problem (at least in high level play). The hard part is killing it and coming out ahead in wits. You often have to leave a bunch of units in enemy territory when killing it, which gives the opponent a lot of free wits the next turn.
* I want to see more replays of creative uses of the bramble.

Soldier spam FTW
11-21-2012, 03:29 AM
Yeah, the new wit system definitely turns runner use upside down. Too early to tell, but I think this is a good thing.

I don't know about unboosted soldiers increasing in value. A 3hp unit can now be killed by a sniper/heavy for 1 wit (move, attack for free), but a 4hp unit will take 3 wits to kill (move, attack, move, attack for free).

I'm also not sure about the new system discouraging turtling, but maybe. The wit refund so strongly benefits one hit kills, and you're more likely to be able to do one hit kills near your own base.
11-21-2012, 03:39 AM
I just wrote this in another thread but: yeah the runner thing makes it harder to attack as you can't use runners as much. So not sure if turtling is encouraged/discouraged anymore.

Good point about the soldiers. This means you should favor unboosted soldiers far from opponents spawns and boosted ones closer to them.

Soldier spam FTW
11-21-2012, 06:12 AM
The new spawn menu makes the game unplayable for me. Almost instant nausea. Can we have an option to switch between the 2?
11-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Do you people who get seasick from the new spawn menu think it'd have the same effect if the menu didn't move around? I think the blurry background looks pretty nifty, but I don't see the need for the menu itself to float up and down.