Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outwitter Burnout
11-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Outwitter Burnout
Hey guys, I haven't been that active recently. It came to a point when I just didn't enjoy the game as much as before.

One reason for it was that I was playing far too many games, having 20+ games running is fine when I am in the mood for playing. But if I don't feel like playing for some time it is quite a big burden to force myself to make 1 move a day in every game. With tough opposition it requires some mental effort and too much of it and it feels like work instead of play.

Another reason is the lack of variety. The matchmaking among the top players is broken so you either play the same player all the time or you don't get matched with anyone and after 2 days you have to play some fluffy player. FTA is also causing many matchups to look very similar.

I've heard from other players I'm playing with who used to be very active that they are not playing as much as before either. Might be that you are very busy but in the end I think the enjoyment you get from the game is the biggest factor.

I have drastically reduced the number of games I have going and hope that the new update with a new team, new maps, eliminated FTA, and maybe also improved matchmaking can get me back into the game. Because it is a great game.

Is this something anyone recognize and were you able to get your mojo back?

Soldier spam FTW
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2012, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2012 09:52 AM by laYahooz.)
RE: Outwitter Burnout
This hasn't happened to me with outwitters yet but with other games: such as minecraft, LoL, and Hero Academy. I'm now playing all those games again
I quit all those games simply because I played them too much. I got really sick of league of legends for a while. I got back into lately though with the new heroes they added at Gamescon.
A similar thing happened with Hero Academy. I played that game A LOT and had too many games going at once for it to be enjoyable. However, once they added the Tribe, I got back into it and still have 12 games going daily in it.
So I think that with new teams and updates and stuff, you will get back into outwitters. Updates are why I don't stop playing TF2, minecraft, LoL, and Hero Academy. So outwitters will definitely rely on updates to keep game fun!
11-19-2012, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2012 10:12 AM by GoHeat 3.)
I used to have 35 games going but now I only have like 10 or so. It was too much for me so from now on, at max ill probably have 15 games going! It's still my favorite game though!

GC: GoHeat3
Super-Titan

[Image: sig.png]
11-19-2012, 10:04 AM
This happened to me so I played a bunch of friendlies and stomped some newbies (sorry newbies) Tongue

1v1 Gifted
2v2 Clever
Friendly matches if you want!
GC: Riftskipper
11-19-2012, 10:09 AM
(11-19-2012 09:51 AM)laYahooz Wrote:  This hasn't happened to me with outwitters yet but with other games: such as minecraft, LoL, and Hero Academy. I'm now playing all those games again
I quit all those games simply because I played them too much. I got really sick of league of legends for a while. I got back into lately though with the new heroes they added at Gamescon.
A similar thing happened with Hero Academy. I played that game A LOT and had too many games going at once for it to be enjoyable. However, once they added the Tribe, I got back into it and still have 12 games going daily in it.
So I think that with new teams and updates and stuff, you will get back into outwitters. Updates are why I don't stop playing TF2, minecraft, LoL, and Hero Academy. So outwitters will definitely rely on updates to keep game fun!

I was exactly the same with LOL, I was spending hours on it then one day just thought I was wasting so much time on a game that actually affected my personality. Also you had to go 30 mins on end with no breaks to do anything which was annoying

Outwitters I slowed down playing for about a month then got back into it again I always have some games on but rarely more than 10

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
11-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Just want to get back to the feeling of exploring new strategies and meeting opponents with styles I never seen before. Switching to 2vs2 helped somewhat I believe as it has a different feel to it and gives you some kind of team spirit.

I also tried playing both teams in 2vs2 to get more control, but that was the most boring thing ever. The switching between accounts drives you crazy!

Soldier spam FTW
11-19-2012, 10:33 AM
(11-19-2012 10:27 AM)Alvendor Wrote:  Just want to get back to the feeling of exploring new strategies and meeting opponents with styles I never seen before. Switching to 2vs2 helped somewhat I believe as it has a different feel to it and gives you some kind of team spirit.

I also tried playing both teams in 2vs2 to get more control, but that was the most boring thing ever. The switching between accounts drives you crazy!
As far as exploring new strategies goes, the +1 wit/kill mechanic will change up strategies IMO.Big Grin

GC: GoHeat3
Super-Titan

[Image: sig.png]
11-19-2012, 10:56 AM
(11-19-2012 10:27 AM)Alvendor Wrote:  Just want to get back to the feeling of exploring new strategies and meeting opponents with styles I never seen before. Switching to 2vs2 helped somewhat I believe as it has a different feel to it and gives you some kind of team spirit.

I definitely suggest doing 2v2s for now. I reached the same point as you with 1v1s, it's just annoying and definitely takes a lot of the enjoyment out of the game getting matched up as P2 against the same player over and over and over and over, and over and over again.

Find a good partner to play 15-20 2v2 games at a time with. I did this and am having a refreshed enjoyment of Outwitters for sure.

For one, the strategy is definitely completely different. Turn order is huge, and forcing your opponent to block his own partners units by not killing them when you can is such a critical strategy that does not exist in 1v1s.

Also, with 4 people playing, you won't have to take turns as often as you do in 20 1v1 games so that is another plus. And as you say, sometimes you are just not in the mood and having a lot of high-level games can seem like work rather than playing a game. This is where your partner can come in too! I've definitely had moments when I didn't feel like counting how many wits I had or watching the last 6 turns to figure out what I should do, and can simply ask my partner what he is thinking.
11-19-2012, 11:12 AM
(11-19-2012 09:35 AM)Alvendor Wrote:  Another reason is the lack of variety. The matchmaking among the top players is broken so you either play the same player all the time

This was the biggest reason I stopped playing actively. It felt like I was playing the same 3-5 people over and over. I could see players that were some of my funnest matches to play on the top 100 list, just a few ranking #s higher than me, but apparently out of my league as far as the matchmaking algorithm was concerned.

What breathed new life into the game for me was switching out of ranked mode and playing random unranked matches again. Sure, sometimes the skill difference is high, but I had a couple losses to people who were playing "poorly", because they tried a crazy tactic that I didn't bother preparing a defense for because nobody would be crazy enough to do it. Those were fun losses. Smile It again gave exactly that sense of "exploring new strategies and meeting opponents with styles you've never seen before" that we both miss.

The other thing I really miss is the sense of progression I got from climbing up the leagues. It's really nice to have the Top 200 lists published, and to have that to climb, but again, the top player matchmaking issues make that a very very repetitive ladder to climb.

Still, I'm really looking forward to seeing a new team, and seeing the FTA issues addressed. I love the game enough to actively monitor the forums even though I'm not so actively playing, so it won't take much to draw me back in. Smile
11-19-2012, 11:46 AM
OMG same thing happened here! I think I totally burned through the game in a couple weeks, then had a period of thinking that it's boring. I'm keeping 15ish games going on right now, compared to the full 35 a month ago. A problem I think is that until we have more maps, units, and players, the game will get a little repetitive.
I do think creating and joining clans will liven up the game a little, which is what I did!
Oh one more thing OP: have you tried talking to your opponents? I realized that you meet some pretty cool people while playing this game.

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?