Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Comparison Outwitters to Hero Academy revisited
11-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Comparison Outwitters to Hero Academy revisited
There is an old thread on Outwitters forum with a poll whether people have tried Hero Academy or not and an interesting discussion about the pros and cons of both games and differences in gameplay. Link to the thread

I'd be very interested in an update of the players voicing their opinion in the old thread whether they have dropped HA altogether in favour of O. or whether they continue to play both games and for what reason.

I for myself havent tried HA as ifeel like I do not want to spend the time learning it and the unique features of Outwitters (simplicity and depth at the same time, no element of luck in the game, fog of war, overall aesthetics and ease of use) make it just perfect for me.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2012, 01:12 AM
RE: Comparison Outwitters to Hero Academy revisited
I've tried it today, and i must say that i don't really like it, its just way too complicated!

11-18-2012, 03:03 AM
Yup, I think I said it in the original post and I stand by it - way too complicated and hate the undo feature.

The offline challenges were neat, but while its frustrating at times I still prefer the async only approach of Outwitters. The only way to get better is trial and error rather than being spoon-fed strategies through beating challenges. I presume that's what they were about, I could only beat the first couple lol

Proud member of Anonymous clan
Master League 1x1, occasionally top 200
Master League 2x2 w Ryzuma
11-18-2012, 07:39 PM
I didn't like the luck of the draw aspect. If you built your units as you did in Outwitters I probably would have played it longer. Conversely, there's no way I'd still be playing Outwitters if you 'drew' units each turn.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
11-18-2012, 07:58 PM
HA is a really neat game. Learning all the different teams and devising strategies around them is very interesting. Things can get a bit mathy at times, and the undo feature is needed to save you a headache (but you will still need to calculate if predicting your opponents move).

(11-18-2012 03:03 AM)RandyDogz Wrote:  The offline challenges were neat, but while its frustrating at times I still prefer the async only approach of Outwitters. The only way to get better is trial and error rather than being spoon-fed strategies through beating challenges.
The challenges don't really have a lot to do with actual gameplay, so I'm not sure what strategies you could learn from them. It definitely helps getting you to think outside of the box though.

I stopped playing HA when the TF2-Team was introduced. It felt like a pure marketing decision instead of a design choice. Also the units that came with a very different unit distribution just to cram all the TF2 characters in.
I think there was a new team released recently, but I only ever did the challenges with them.

So how does it hold up to Outwitters after a longer time? Well the more time goes by the more different I feel the both games are. At first I thought the two games really similar, but when actually thinking about strategies they feel very different. I enjoy Outwitters more because of the simplistic numbers and the complete lack of randomness, but HA is well worth looking into for everyone who hasn't yet.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
11-18-2012, 08:03 PM
I basically agree with everything Eijolend has said and dropped HA completely due to the exact same reasons.
11-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Every small thing in hero academy costs money, which is annoying. Due to the undo feature, it feels like a puzzle game instead of a turn based strategy game.

Member of the Ice clan!
[Image: 29xjgx5.png]
11-22-2012, 08:57 PM
I didn't care for HA much. I don't feel as if the two game share a wealth of commonality, but there are elements that may appeal to other outwitters players. For me, I'll stick with outwitters. Time better invested Tongue
11-29-2012, 03:28 AM
I still play HA, but not competitively anymore, man that takes a lot of time for me. It's just crazy hard, that game gets really deep. Outwitters is much easier for me and more my style so I play it far more, but HA is still a lot fun and is certainly a change of pace.
11-29-2012, 05:24 AM
Many thanks to all for your thoughts. I guess I feel ok not having messed around with HA. The simplicity and elegance of gameplay rules while offering lot of strategic depth is what appeals to me most in Outwitters.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.