Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Super-Duper-Titan Tournament! (Season 1) - Round 1.5
12-03-2012, 05:33 AM
RE: The Super-Duper-Titan Tournament! (Season 1) - Round 1 starting December the 8th!
Hey gfich, I'm confused about how you are seeding the direct elimination bracket. P1noyboy is with garcia10000, but as 1st seed shouldn't he be paired with the 16th seed? (possibly me, not sure what you are using to seed). In any case I don't think Garcia is 16th seed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2012, 05:38 AM
RE: The Super-Duper-Titan Tournament! (Season 1) - Round 1 starting December the 8th!
Well, I've placed 1st to 4th seeds in spots 1, 16, 9 and 8, then divided 5th to 8th seed randomly in spots 4, 5, 12 and 13, then divided the rest randomly.

12-03-2012, 02:26 PM
(12-03-2012 05:38 AM)Gfich Wrote:  Well, I've placed 1st to 4th seeds in spots 1, 16, 9 and 8, then divided 5th to 8th seed randomly in spots 4, 5, 12 and 13, then divided the rest randomly.

Actually, I don't think you should be randomly assigning bracket seeding, provided that you have some fairly accurate ranking with which to seed, which you do. In a 16 person bracket, the matchups should be: 1st/16th, 2nd/15th, 3rd/14th, etc. and arranged so that the higher seed would have a technically easier path to the final. See this example which is the bracket for the outwitters community tournament that I ran a few months ago.

With the current seeding, I think you are giving an unfair advantage to some and disadvantage to others. For example, p1noyboy should not have to face Garcia10000, because Garcia is not the 16th seed. Likewise, Garcia should not have to face p1noyboy in the first round. I am probably seeded lower than Garcia, so I should have the "harder" path. This is just an example, I'm not sure that I'm the 16th seed with whatever ranking list you are using to seed the bracket, but trying to illustrate the point. Also, I don't want you to think that I'm saying all this to benefit myself - I think poweewee is probably an easier opponent than p1noyboy! No offense poweewee. Smile

Anyway, I think you should consider re-seeding so that players are arranged more fairly. Normally randomness only enters the seeding process when there is not another good way to rank the players in the tournament, but of course in this case we have a reliable ranking.
12-03-2012, 09:03 PM
(12-03-2012 02:26 PM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  Also, I don't want you to think that I'm saying all this to benefit myself - I think poweewee is probably an easier opponent than p1noyboy! No offense poweewee. Smile

None taken. Key word is "probably" Smile

We actually had the same reaction with regards to the matching system, but I have nothing against the one they've already set up. At the very least, it assures that the first time the top 4 seeds meet would be the semis; the top 8 seeds at the quarters, etc. I think they use the same mechanics in the ATP.
12-04-2012, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 12:50 AM by GreatGonzales.)
(12-03-2012 09:03 PM)poweewee Wrote:  We actually had the same reaction with regards to the matching system, but I have nothing against the one they've already set up. At the very least, it assures that the first time the top 4 seeds meet would be the semis; the top 8 seeds at the quarters, etc. I think they use the same mechanics in the ATP.

Yeah the bracket is almost fine the way it is, but it's not as fair as it could be. There is a standard way to seed a 16 person bracket which would be (albiet only slightly) more fair. But you're right, it's mostly fine as is. Sorry Gfich, I'm kind of a tournament nut. Tongue
12-04-2012, 07:16 AM
RE: The Super-Duper-Titan Tournament! (Season 1) - Needz Confirmations!
(11-16-2012 01:35 AM)Gfich Wrote:  Well, basically for the seedings i was planning to add the last two weeklys of Season 1 together (Oct 19th and 26th). That would give us the following seedings:
  1. ..Sir3..*
  2. P1noyboypj*
  3. Calmon!
  4. Alvendor
  5. Terenceshiu2005
  6. Zero_Killer
  7. el*tabasco
  8. JavaSeed
  9. 1010100011
  10. awpertunity
  11. poweewee*
  12. blueswimmer95*
  13. Harti!
  14. Gavin Wins
  15. garcia10000
  16. cherylto
*In case of a tie, last weekly is decisive, this is why ..Sir3.. is seeded first

The main reason why didn't use the most recent weeklys is that, well, this is a Season 1 tournament, and it feels wrong to include Season 2 weeklys in it.

Hey Gfich, just wondering if the above is what you ended up doing to seed the bracket? I tried this using my data and got the following seeding:

1. P1noyboypj
2. Alvendor
3. Terenceshiu2005
4. el*tabasco
5. Harti!
6. 1010100011
7. awpertunity
8. poweewee
9. garcia10000
10. vide0gamer
11. pokhs
12. joelduque
13. GreatGonzales
14. badherrday
15. drooberry
16. Jacs9
12-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Hey guys,

I know this is a bit late, but I am a professional tournament organizer, and a free tool we always highly recommend is http://challonge.com/
It can quickly run both single and double elimination tournies and is less work for the organizer. I see that the google docs has already been set up though, but we can keep this challonge in mind for next time!
12-05-2012, 08:32 AM
(12-04-2012 10:55 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  Hey guys,

I know this is a bit late, but I am a professional tournament organizer, and a free tool we always highly recommend is http://challonge.com/
It can quickly run both single and double elimination tournies and is less work for the organizer. I see that the google docs has already been set up though, but we can keep this challonge in mind for next time!

I saw that Ser Purple Wolf is using this for his Mobi Tourney! Looks very professional!

GC: GoHeat3
Super-Titan

[Image: sig.png]
12-05-2012, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 06:29 PM by Jacs9.)
My first match is a tough one. Against Pinoy. Pinoy if you see this message, remember to be lenient on me k. Haha
I hope the glitches with friendly matches will be resolved by then. I have several friendly games that disappear all the time.
12-06-2012, 03:40 AM
I am excited for replays.
Rootin' for GG.

Super-Titan