Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Candy Core Mine Rush
10-31-2012, 04:24 AM
Candy Core Mine Rush
Candy Core Mine Rush

myninja527 and myninja208 is beating up me and blueswimmer in this game. Just their first move with the heavy and the runner is hard to deal with. This game is not the best example as it was the first time I saw this and I didn't make a good response. We are currently playing another game in which me and blueswimmer learned from this game and put up a better fight. I guess we will loose that one too but I wanted to post this now as there is a discussion on FTA in 2vs2 going on.

So the rush is to boost the heavy and move out with that and a runner. What happens next will obviously depend on the opponents response, but the idea will be to constantly pressure their wit space so you don't need to defend your own.

I'm afraid I don't have much more to say about it as I don't even know how to respond to the first move!?

Ideas people? Or is FTA just to good here?

Soldier spam FTW
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2012, 04:32 AM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2012 04:42 AM by CombatEX.)
RE: Candy Core Mine Rush
OSN doesn't work anymore? I can't view the link with it or go to the site.

Ok, I looked it up on my phone. Yea... that rush seems pretty deadly. I've always thought Candy Core Mine was terrible for P2, but I thought maybe I was just biased because I hate that map and have gotten it the last 8/10 times. Seriously?! Stupid RNG. Give me my least favorite map so more why don't you? Better yet keep giving me P2 on it -_-

As for the actual rush. Any ideas anyone? I can't think of any efficient way to shut that opening down. One thing though is I always favor my ally getting a soldier to help me down south instead of putting it up north (when spawning on the left side). Take the wit space with the heavy or a runner instead so you can send a soldier down to help with the defense. The rush will always come down there (or of course, up instead if you spawned as P2 on the right). This way, you would have had a much better chance of dealing with that heavy. The problem still remains that it's hard to keep that wit space and deal with the heavy at the same time, which is why it seems FTA is indeed a problem on that map.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
10-31-2012, 05:00 AM
Yeah, on our second game I took the wit space with the soldier and killed the runner with my runner and moved down with the sniper. Blueswimmer then took his wit space with a runner and helped me defend with a soldier.

It worked much better, but I think we only delayed the inevitable...

Soldier spam FTW
10-31-2012, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2012 07:58 AM by alexjiang1.)
I looked at the first few moves of the game and it seems that you have to send your sniper over, create a soldier and send him over and then take the space with your starting soldier, then get your partner to help you out and once you deal with their attack just counter on the other side. As a general rule I think if they attack with the heavy you have to defend with your sniper.

iPro Clan
10-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Ya, moving heavy forward on first turn has worked well for me and BBCSwash once or twice, but hadn't played that map much so wasn't sure if it was sound. Getting your sniper down 1 turn earlier was my only thought, but sounds like you tried that :| I'm curious how it turns out!

Proud member of Anonymous clan
Master League 1x1, occasionally top 200
Master League 2x2 w Ryzuma
10-31-2012, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2012 10:11 AM by garcia1000.)
I've always thought that 2v2 has more FTA than 1v1. It's essentially 1v1, but with maps that are much smaller.

That's because you need space to put an extra two bases, which is 14 additional hexes. If I was designing maps, I would have just one base for each team.
10-31-2012, 03:55 PM
That's actually pretty easy to deal with. Just set up like I did here and the rest will play out fine. This replay is not the best example only because he backs off when he recognizes my setup. He backed up because we were playing another game against him simultaneously where I chewed him up after he rushed. We've never lost when setting up this way against that rush. The only time we lost to that rush at all was when my teammate stupidly put his soldier on the wit. There is literally no defense if you make that mistake.
11-01-2012, 03:15 AM
This doesn't work worldfamous. Or at least, can't be executed the same way as you did it here. You neglect the fact that there are two different turn orders you can have as P2. Your P2 turn order in your sample game is different from Alvendor's.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
11-01-2012, 03:35 AM
I'm myninja527. We have yet to lose that game going first with that strategy, if anyone wants to play some friendly games to strategize countering that rush, let me know.
11-01-2012, 05:05 AM
(11-01-2012 03:35 AM)texadian5223 Wrote:  I'm myninja527. We have yet to lose that game going first with that strategy, if anyone wants to play some friendly games to strategize countering that rush, let me know.

This rush looks really tough to defend, I'd like to see if worldfamous can indeed defend it! Please invite him and his normal partner and/or him and myself (aaronINdayton GC tag) to a friendly!