Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is There Room for a New Common Unit?
10-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Is There Room for a New Common Unit?
We've talked about new special units, but I was wondering whether an additional common unit would work. If so, what would the stats or specialty be? What about a grenadier? A ranged unit that ignores enemy units in its firing line by lobbing grenades over enemies? Maybe 3 Health, 2 Hit, 2 movement, 2 or 3 range, with a cost of 5. You could even add 1 hit of splash damage to a random adjacent hex. What do you guys think? Any other ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2012, 01:23 PM
RE: Is There Room for a New Common Unit?
Great idea but your example of a weaker bombshell would probably be unbalanced
10-25-2012, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2012 03:53 PM by Emuchu.)
A common unit *could* work, but the spread of units as it is already covers the major bases, so any changes to the main game will probably be resisted.

That being said, the idea of a Grenadier sounds pretty nifty in its own right, although he does just sound like a mini-Bombshell. I do like the idea, though, of a common unit that can attack through the front lines, and the guys here have been clamoring for turtle-breaking.

One note, though, is that I don't think random attributes have a place in this game.

Here's another idea, keeping with the explosives theme: an artillery-type unit (this one could be a Special, actually) that can lob explosives a certain distance away, possibly 5-6 Hex. The artillery shells can clear opposing units and obstacles, and may or may not have splash damage, but the bomb doesn't explode until the following turn, allowing your opponent time to clear the area. You could use this unit to hassle known Sniper / Bombshell campsites, pop a hole in a thick Soldier Wall, or just for reconnoitering to try and get them to reveal their hidden units. The Arty could be the turtle breaker: He can turtle from a farther distance than the usual turtling range, and waste his opponent's Wits as they clear the blast zone, but because of the explosion delay, would be weak to aggressive strategies. Is there a place for someone like this?
10-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Well we've got a fast unit, tough unit, healing unit, ranged unit plus the normal all rounded soldier and the teams special. I think the teams could use with another support unit. Perhaps a damage buff unit? It would seem over powered, but it can cost 5-6 wits and can only buff one unit per turn. The buff will last for only the turn it was casted in. 3/4 move, 1 hp.
10-25-2012, 03:28 PM
How bout a medic style unit. But instead of boosting unit health, you could boost movement range. Exact same stats as medic.

Could also be a unit to boost base health or attack range.

[Admiral 77] Super-Titan
#35 in Top 100
10-25-2012, 07:08 PM
I think the game is balanced as it is. The only new additions we could add all border on being a 7 wit special in their own right. Perhaps a basic unit could be a Worker type, where it cannot attack but when placed on a wit space gives you an additional wit per turn.
10-25-2012, 09:00 PM
(10-25-2012 07:08 PM)AJaW96 Wrote:  I think the game is balanced as it is. The only new additions we could add all border on being a 7 wit special in their own right. Perhaps a basic unit could be a Worker type, where it cannot attack but when placed on a wit space gives you an additional wit per turn.

Well, I don't think OML would want to add a unit like that whose only purpose is to go to the Wit Space and sit around all day.
10-25-2012, 09:35 PM
(10-25-2012 09:00 PM)Emuchu Wrote:  
(10-25-2012 07:08 PM)AJaW96 Wrote:  I think the game is balanced as it is. The only new additions we could add all border on being a 7 wit special in their own right. Perhaps a basic unit could be a Worker type, where it cannot attack but when placed on a wit space gives you an additional wit per turn.

Well, I don't think OML would want to add a unit like that whose only purpose is to go to the Wit Space and sit around all day.

I was thinking along the lines of an RTS worker/miner/peon...=)

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
10-26-2012, 07:06 PM
(10-25-2012 09:00 PM)Emuchu Wrote:  

Probably not, but it does add an extra element not already covered by the existing common units. Every spawn is precious, so when you spend it bringing a non-combatant into play I think it balances out.

If OML are reading this, please do not add any new common units - I like it the way it is. Smile
10-27-2012, 03:39 AM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2012 04:08 AM by CombatEX.)
I was going to say no, but after reading the worker idea, I'm not so sure. That's a really cool idea! Any kind of offensive unit I think is a no. But a passive unit like this is a cool thought.

Ability: Grants an additional +1 wit per turn when placed on a wit space.

NOTE: I don't think adding a new common unit is necessary, but if it is considered for some reason, this is why I find the Worker unit compelling. I like the fact that the Worker opens up diversity* and does something that cannot be replicated by a combination of other existing units. Any kind of new basic offensive unit would be redundant because you can achieve similar results with units already in the game. So in other words, if a new basic unit is added, make it a passive one instead of an offensive one.

How would the stats work though? It's pretty much guaranteed that your opponent will want to kill it off ASAP or counter with their own worker to put on their space. Here's just a basic idea but it would undoubtedly need to be tweaked.

Worker
Cost: 3 or 4 depending on the other stats
Attack: 0
Health: 1 or 2
Movement: 3 or 4

It should have less health than a soldier so it's more of a gamble to protect the space with this unit than with a soldier or heavy. This way you have to consider if it's worth the trade-off. If you can hold that space with a unit with less HP (the Worker), it is harder but you get more wits. If you put a Soldier or Heavy on the space it's safer, but you don't get the bonus wits. It's better to have a question of what is optimal instead of just making one choice the best one (if the Worker had as much HP as a Soldier or Heavy then you'd always rather have the Worker on the space).

What I lean towards is the following:

Worker
Cost: 3 (or 4?)
Attack: 0
Health: 1
Movement: 4

*Diversity:
This way it will probably cost around 5 wits to get a buffed worker in position. To take this worker out it will take the opponent around 6 wits to kill it. Also, if the worker is protected it could take even more. That being said, maybe the worker should cost 4 wits instead. Keep in mind that every turn the opponent doesn't kill the worker, you gain an additional wit. So, the worker seems like a pretty good deal then, right? It's pretty cost inefficient to try to take out the worker and the time you spend getting over there to do it amounts to even more wits you are getting behind. However, you also have to consider the significant initial investment in getting a worker. If your opponent gets a worker then what can you do? You can get your own worker, or you can capitalize on the fact that your opponent will take 3 or 4 turns to recoup that investment and in the mean time they've spent a spawn (spawning the worker) and 3 or 4 wits on a non-offensive unit. If you don't respond with your own worker perhaps you can take out your opponent or get a strong position before they have time to defend with their weaker damage inducing capability.

Getting out a worker is like a lesser case of getting out a special. Specials are great units and you always would like to have one, but the question is, can you afford to get one out or would it be better to stick with basic units? It depends on the situation. That's great! Workers are similar but on a lesser scale. You would always like to field one, but can you afford to do so? Will getting one out be too risky because your opponent could overwhelm you? Or are you safe enough that you can afford to get one out? If your opponent gets one, should you get one out too or can you use that to your advantage and overwhelm them with superior numbers and wits to spend on attacking before your opponent can benefit from the bonus wits? These kinds of strategic decisions are what make Outwitters such a compelling game =)

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]