Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sick of Foundry
10-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Sick of Foundry
I know I take advantage of the FTA on foundry and soldier-rape my opponent, but they do it just as much when I go second. There's almost no way to avoid it, and generally I think Foundry is an extremely unbalanced map for going first vs. going second.

This problem might have been brought up before, so I'm sorry if it has. But until the devs do something about it (if they do something about it), can someone teach my how to counteract the foundry rush? I've tried watching ST replays but for some reason none of the pros rush like my gifted league buddies do.

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-21-2012, 08:29 AM
RE: Sick of Foundry
you can send me a challenge and I'll see if I can stop you ;]
10-21-2012, 11:03 AM
I don't believe it is possible to counteract it. The key advantage isn't from the early rush, but how P1 can kill P2's sniper or make him waste too many wits to defend it. P2 cannot do the same.
10-21-2012, 11:22 AM
The foundry map has been updated by moving back the soldier unit one hex away from the enemy base, as mentioned and as you may have noticed. But as it currently is, P1 still has a very big advantage of dictating where the skirmishes would occur. The key is to hold ground or fend off the attack of the enemy especially in the first 10-25 turns of the match. If you succeed, then you'll have a significantly higher chance of winning the match. It becomes 50-50. You can post a play of a particular game so we can make a more precise analysis here. You'll maybe even get tips from our fellow players.

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
10-21-2012, 04:33 PM
The foundry rush can be a killer, but it can be defended, and P2 can win. It is just going to be a long uphill battle... I haven't found any one 'perfect' counter since every rush is going to be slightly different based off of each players move. The best advice that I can give is try to think 2 or 3 moves ahead. Not placing units in easy to kill locations. And even sacrificing a couple of base points. If you can survive that initial attack you can usually counter and come out with the win.

[Admiral 77] Super-Titan
#35 in Top 100
10-21-2012, 06:37 PM
If you're defending a Foundry Rush, you're in for a hard battle.

The main difficulty with Foundry Rushes is that there are two distinct rushes that have to be spotted and defended in different ways, and if you choose to defend the wrong one, I believe the match is already forfeit.

Rush 1 is when Player 1 sends a Runner or two to kill Player 2's Sniper. Player 2 can defend against this initial attack by making it difficult to kill the Sniper. Healing the Sniper or placing a Runner in the way will drastically increase the cost of killing the Sniper, but even then, it's still an uphill battle for Player 2, since Player 1 still has the initiative to challenge the corner Wit Space. I once had this approach thwarted by Player 2 deploying an early Bombshell by his base in anticipation of the rush, and sacrificing his Sniper, although he didn't follow through very well afterwards, and started trying to rush me back.

Rush 2 is when Player 1 ignores Player 2's Sniper altogether, and simply rushes Soldiers into Player 2's back door. This can be defended against, as well, but Player 2 will likely lose 2-4 base HP in the process. The major problem with defending this rush is that if you spend Wits protecting your sniper, you won't have the resources for the Soldier army storming your back door.

But anyways, I wouldn't fret too much about the Foundry, for now. The next patch, which Alex estimates will be submitted at the end of the month, gives Player 2 a few bonus starting Wits, which the beta testers have said are helping immensely. So just fight hard in Foundry while you still can, so you can tell the newbies how good they have it down the road.
10-22-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm down for some Foundry testing, both as rusher and rushee! Hit me up with game invites if anyone's interested.