Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lose vs Give Up
02-24-2013, 08:51 AM
RE: Lose vs Give Up
I view it as value for my time. If I'm losing and I know it, I'd rather quit and start a new game than wait for some guy to beat me. It's a waste of time to just sit on a game I know I have no chance of winning.

also, I REALLY hate the "you lose" notification. It was cute the first time but now it's just obnoxious.

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2013, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 09:01 AM by Ryzuma.)
Lol whenever I hear that I'm like aww crap which game did I lose now

[Image: remur.gif]

Click it. You know you want to.
02-24-2013, 09:08 AM
and is it me or is "you lose" louder than the "your turn" and "you win" notifications?

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
02-24-2013, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 12:45 PM by Bulby37.)
(02-24-2013 01:44 AM)Phillip Wrote:  Watch more hockey. There would be a brawl the next time they meet...
It's lame
I live in Georgia, and I am similar to most men from the Southern US in that I really have no use for hockey. They seem to take any and every excuse to brawl, so saying an act would cause a brawl in hockey is akin to saying that Peter Griffin went to the clam to have a beer because Cleveland moved away.
As for the basketball analogy, I have played quite a bit of playground ball. We normally play to 21 around here, sometimes 15 if the court is crowded. If I am up 13-0 in a "fun" game to 15, I am more than likely going to call it a tie and walk to keep from wasting my time, his/her time, the time of the folks waiting for next, etc. There is no fun if there is no challenge for me. It's one thing if I am trying to coach a kid, playing in a tourney, invited a guy from 50 miles out to play, money on the game, whatever. However, if I needed a rush and some exercise, there is no rush to be gained from beating someone who apparently never had a chance on the first place.

Bulby37: Idea Man
[Image: sealbanner700.jpg]
02-24-2013, 12:58 PM
When my opponent gives up, I see it as a sign of his skill and respect. He is demonstrating skill in the fact that he recognizes that his situation is hopeless, and he is showing respect by acknowledging that I am a good enough player to see it too.
02-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Hate giving my opponent the satisfaction of base destruction. I'd rather have my opponent forfeit in case of mistakes. Basically reassurance.

GC: GoHeat3
Super-Titan

[Image: sig.png]
02-24-2013, 05:20 PM
(02-24-2013 12:58 PM)DanielT1263 Wrote:  When my opponent gives up, I see it as a sign of his skill and respect. He is demonstrating skill in the fact that he recognizes that his situation is hopeless, and he is showing respect by acknowledging that I am a good enough player to see it too.

I agree - in many ways the game is anagalous to chess (we dont play much ice hockey in oz !) - it is very much a sign of respect when a player lays down their king when they recognize the game is over. Almost every game as the high levels ends that way rather that an actual check mate.
May be what we need is a nice animation to play when a played concedes (rather then just fade to white) - maybe a soldier laying down his fork/sword or something like that Smile

Super-Titan Top 200: #5
GCID: ===Torbreck===
King of the Hill
02-25-2013, 12:18 AM
(02-24-2013 01:08 PM)GoHeat 3 Wrote:  Hate giving my opponent the satisfaction of base destruction. I'd rather have my opponent forfeit in case of mistakes. Basically reassurance.

This is the lame attitude. If you know there will be 4/5 turns left and you are hosed. Meh I can understand it. When you know that their next turn they will destroy your base, say they have a soldier in the back door on foundry with 2 base points left. You can't kill him. You know you lost. It's lame to give up.

I would feel the same way in chess. if I know one more turn and I will be done in. Let them finish rather than quitting. They beat you. They deserve to take the win.

Worrying about freeing up a slot is lame.if that is your only reason, the. Send Alex and Adam a few bucks for the 35 slots.
02-25-2013, 12:25 AM
(02-25-2013 12:18 AM)Phillip Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 01:08 PM)GoHeat 3 Wrote:  Hate giving my opponent the satisfaction of base destruction. I'd rather have my opponent forfeit in case of mistakes. Basically reassurance.

This is the lame attitude. If you know there will be 4/5 turns left and you are hosed. Meh I can understand it. When you know that their next turn they will destroy your base, say they have a soldier in the back door on foundry with 2 base points left. You can't kill him. You know you lost. It's lame to give up.

I would feel the same way in chess. if I know one more turn and I will be done in. Let them finish rather than quitting. They beat you. They deserve to take the win.

Worrying about freeing up a slot is lame.if that is your only reason, the. Send Alex and Adam a few bucks for the 35 slots.
It's a game. Does anything more need to be said? I don't think so.

Oh and I don't worry about freeing up a slot as I only run 15 games at a time and on top of that, I've sent Adam and Alex all the money possible between TTL and Outwitters.

GC: GoHeat3
Super-Titan

02-25-2013, 12:29 AM
I give up when I feel like it, I let my opponent destroy my base when I feel like it. Problem, Philip? Tongue

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)