Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML
11-08-2012, 12:08 AM
RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML
(11-06-2012 07:10 PM)CombatEX Wrote:  Well, this is a post I made on page 3 regarding speed games.

(10-14-2012 04:49 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  I advise against 30 min turn 'speed' games. If you want a speed game the turn limit has to be more on the order of 2 min. Why? It's easy enough to set aside something like an hour for a game which is pretty much guaranteed with a 2 min turn game (chess clock mode would be even better though, see below). 30 min turn games on the other hand can drag on for something like 5 hours even if you take your turn quickly every time. Let's say you average 1 turn per 2 min, but your opponent decides to take their turn once every 20 min. Then a 30 turn game would take over 5 hours. Not to mention games can even go up to things like 50-60 turns so even if you both take reasonable turns, once every 5 min, the game would still take a long time. Since this is a speed mode if you ever have to go away for more than 30 minutes throughout this 5 hour period... well too bad. You lose.

Instead I would suggest you change the 'Speed Mode' to something more akin to speed chess. Maybe give each player a 1 hour clock. This serves the duel benefit of guaranteeing a hard limit to the amount of time a game can take and also allowing a player to take a semi-prolonged break to go do something if they've been good about playing quickly during their other turns.

If you check Ravernoth's initial post (first post in this thread), he has the Speed Mode suggestion in there. This would certainly be a fun addition to the game. Want to play Outwitters for an hour? Well with each player given a half hour clock you're guaranteed not to go over your time limit and also get to play a more regularly paced Outwitters match if you're so inclined. A 15 minute per player clock would also be nice.

I agree. A quick game or speed game mode is probably the single most important addition to increase the attractiveness for existing and potential players who do not want to wait a day or two between turns. I believe something around 5 minutes would be a good turn time limit for such game category. 2 minutes may be too ambitious in my opinion, 15 minutes probably too long already as CombatEX rightly points out.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - =) Random Task (= - 11-08-2012 12:08 AM