Poll: Should we have an opportunity, one way or another, to have our skills re-evaluated every so often?
Yes that's an awesome idea
No. That's dumb.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Re-qualifying
10-07-2012, 08:47 AM
RE: Re-qualifying
I like seasons too and OML said they would like to add them sometime. However seasons are completely different from requalifying. You don't play your placements from scratch or have your matchmaking data reset like you suggest in requalifying. All it does is reset bonus pools and makes it slightly more likely for a promotion up or down a single league after playing one game. It's nowhere near a complete requalification.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2012, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2012 11:19 PM by Kamikaze28.)
Throwing in my theoretical understanding of rating systems once again. The idea of re-qualifying is detrimental to the entire system because it destroys knowledge. Think of it this way: every time you win or lose the system gets a better idea of how good you are and is (in theory) getting better at gauging everyone's skill. Giving players the ability to wipe their records makes the system forget what it has learned and leads to a reduced performance in the long run.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2012, 11:45 PM
(10-10-2012 11:19 PM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  Throwing in my theoretical understanding of rating systems once again. The idea of re-qualifying is detrimental to the entire system because it destroys knowledge. Think of it this way: every time you win or lose the system gets a better idea of how good you are and is (in theory) getting better at gauging everyone's skill. Giving players the ability to wipe their records makes the system forget what it has learned and leads to a reduced performance in the long run.

I think the OP's idea here is that destroying knowledge for many players is good, because the knowledge for those players is bad. I mostly agree.

I think a better idea though would be to fix the way the knowledge is used to more quickly move players between fluffly-masters leagues. I don't at all mind super titan being very difficult to get into, as long as it's possible for players with poor initial league placement who get really good later.

I mean, if you go on a 10 game winning streak you should move up from fluffly, right? 10 game losing streak you should move down from masters, right? What about 5 wins or losses in a row? How does the system currently work? Too slow, that's how.
10-11-2012, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 06:46 AM by Promicide.)
(10-10-2012 11:45 PM)aaronINdayton Wrote:  
(10-10-2012 11:19 PM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  Throwing in my theoretical understanding of rating systems once again. The idea of re-qualifying is detrimental to the entire system because it destroys knowledge. Think of it this way: every time you win or lose the system gets a better idea of how good you are and is (in theory) getting better at gauging everyone's skill. Giving players the ability to wipe their records makes the system forget what it has learned and leads to a reduced performance in the long run.

I think the OP's idea here is that destroying knowledge for many players is good, because the knowledge for those players is bad. I mostly agree.

I think a better idea though would be to fix the way the knowledge is used to more quickly move players between fluffly-masters leagues. I don't at all mind super titan being very difficult to get into, as long as it's possible for players with poor initial league placement who get really good later.

I mean, if you go on a 10 game winning streak you should move up from fluffly, right? 10 game losing streak you should move down from masters, right? What about 5 wins or losses in a row? How does the system currently work? Too slow, that's how.

Nailed it.
Just played the five qualifying games on an alt for fun, and its already in master league. I beat 4 clevers and a fluffy. Should I be a Pokemon master for that? Lol