Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Fluffy to Gifted Tournament - FINISHED
10-10-2012, 12:29 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2012 01:26 AM by Gf!sh.)
RE: Tournament for lower leagues
(10-09-2012 04:57 PM)Eijolend Wrote:  I'll post an update later today with all the participants so far, etc.

For the format it will most likely depend on how many people we get. I think the Group Stages with everyone playing 2 games against each other from the World Cup worked really well and I'd like to adapt that if we get at least 16 players.

A big thing is I want to assure that everyone gets to play at least a couple of games, so Swiss or Double Elimination should work as well. Probably with everyone playing 1 game as p1 and one game as p2 as well. Swiss would be interesting since it allows for Ties, which would eliminate the need for a Tie-Breaker (which is quite hard to find as discussed in the World Cup Thread) until the very end.

Does that sound good? Your input would be very much appreciated.

I actually prefer Swiss, and i like to add a twist:
(in the example, there are 16 competitors)

GROUP PLAY RULEZ

The group is split in 2 groups of eight, like so (competitors are named by Greek letters):
  • Group A
    α/β/γ/δ/ε/ζ/η/θ
  • Group B
    ι/κ/λ/μ/ν/ξ/ο/π

Each group plays a Swiss of 4 matches/competitor (each match = 1 play as P1, and another as P2).

TIE BREAKERZ

1. Point total (win = 1, draw = 0.5, loss = 0)
  2. OPT (opponent's point total) [ex.: if α draws with β, and α has played against γ, δ, ε and ζ, the sum of γ, δ, ε and ζ's points is counted. Highest number wins (theoratically, if your opponents' sum of points is higher then those of some other guy, you have matched stronger opponents)]
  3. Head-to-Head result
  4. Tiebreak match: same rules as final matches*, explained below
* however, it's best of 3, not best of 5.

NOTE THAT this does not register turn count (it doesn't seem fair to do so).

If everything goes all right, and ties are broken, each group should have a clear ranking, with each player ranked 1-8th place. Then, each competitor does a cross-finale; last placed of group A meets last placed of group B for 15th place overall, 7th of A plays 7th of B for 13th, etc. etc. etc.

FINAL MATCH RULEZ

These will practically be double matches, as each player gets 2 games as P1, for a total of 4 matches. If, and only if the outcome draws at 2-2, a fifth game will be decidive. A coin toss will decide roles, with the winner as P1 and the loser as P2 (P2 chooses board), winner takes all.

The reason i chose to do this is that it's not fun if someone secures 1st place before the final match. Also, the good thing about Swiss is that it doesn't need a perfect 2^n number of competitors (20 or 26 should work fine)

Do you guys like this idea? If you have improvements, we love to hear that!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2012, 02:55 AM
I updated the Opening Post - check it out: click

I like the idea of having 2 separate group doing swiss system, but matching group A vs. group B at the end seems a bit awkward if you do it for all places, since there's no guarantee place 7 of A will have similar skill to place 7 of B. Probably pure swiss would be better for that purpose, but I'm not sure.
And yeah not requiring a 2^n number of entrants is a big plus.

As for Tie-Breakers in the final ranking, I agree with your OPT (also known as Buchholz system afaik) and Head-to-Head. I'm not sure if I like an additional match after the round is already over or some arbitrary tiebreaker (for example a turns taken count like the Outwitters World Cup has) is better. Both feel kinda clunky.

(10-09-2012 05:37 PM)Coolwhip18 Wrote:  Prizes just bragging rights?
I'm afraid so, since the main purpose of this tournament is to get players started with the competitive side of Outwitters.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
10-10-2012, 03:08 AM
RE: Fluffy to Gifted Tournament - TAKING SIGNUPS
I'm in
Judment
Clever League
Rank 7

Proud Member of the Diamond League!

Will Scramble for Wits - My journey in Outwitters

(12-29-2012 12:04 PM)worldfamous Wrote:  He probably only called scrambler gay because you penetrated him with it. Big Grin
10-10-2012, 04:09 AM
(10-10-2012 02:55 AM)Eijolend Wrote:  I updated the Opening Post - check it out: click

I like the idea of having 2 separate group doing swiss system, but matching group A vs. group B at the end seems a bit awkward if you do it for all places, since there's no guarantee place 7 of A will have similar skill to place 7 of B. Probably pure swiss would be better for that purpose, but I'm not sure.
And yeah not requiring a 2^n number of entrants is a big plus.

As for Tie-Breakers in the final ranking, I agree with your OPT (also known as Buchholz system afaik) and Head-to-Head. I'm not sure if I like an additional match after the round is already over or some arbitrary tiebreaker (for example a turns taken count like the Outwitters World Cup has) is better. Both feel kinda clunky.

(10-09-2012 05:37 PM)Coolwhip18 Wrote:  Prizes just bragging rights?
I'm afraid so, since the main purpose of this tournament is to get players started with the competitive side of Outwitters.

Firstly, yes, placing full group A vs group B might not be the best idea, but i do insist on having a final match for first place, just to keep the exitement in the game, which, in my opinion, is the major flaw on pure Swiss, as i explained above. Perhaps we could place the top 3-4 only in the final matches, or take top 2 from both groups and have a small elimination.

Secondly, regarding tiebreakers: point 4 (tiebreak match) was more like a 'worst case scenario' if everything else fails. We could add more points to the list, such as:
  • Most wins
  • BOPT (beaten opponents point total): only opponents who you've beaten are counted

Thirdly, i've 74 league points in total Wink

10-10-2012, 04:41 AM
If you need a player (or a sub) ask me to a friendly game on game center (bmike) and I'll gladly join the fun of this tourney. I've been stuck at #1 in gifted for some time - nearing 300 wins (2v2 and 1v1 tournament) but no signs of levelling up as I don't get a long enough game streak to go to masters it seems. I play in the central time zone US. I'm active on the beta forums more than here - but sending me a chat in game center is the quickest way to get a hold of me.

Thanks for organizing a tourney for those not at the top. It's a great idea.
10-10-2012, 06:33 AM
(10-10-2012 04:41 AM)bmike Wrote:  If you need a player (or a sub) ask me to a friendly game on game center (bmike) and I'll gladly join the fun of this tourney.
I'll note you down to join if we need another one to have an even amount of players, ok?

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
10-10-2012, 06:53 AM
I'll join in.

g r c / grc / clever / 54 / 803
10-10-2012, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2012 01:35 PM by Butternut22.)
I want to join.

Butternut22 (forum)
Janreggie (gamecenter)
Gifted rank 7
156 wins
805 points
10-10-2012, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2012 10:30 AM by GoHeat 3.)
I'm in!
GoHeat3/GoHeat 3/Gifted #9/175 wins/1488 points

GC: GoHeat3
Super-Titan

[Image: sig.png]
10-10-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm in, I believe.
Saren / SarenneraS / Gifted / 88 wins / 621 points