Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we see the Hidden Rankings?
09-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Can we see the Hidden Rankings?
I keep hearing about how the hidden rankings are more important than the league rankings and points, so can we just show the hidden rankings as the true way to see who are the best players? After all, that's what we're all trying to do- truly be better than our competitors.

I'd also like to see and overall ranking. Right now I don't know if I'm #101 or #1047. I'm in the Masters League and always seem to get matched up with top players, so I assume, I'm pretty highly rated, but don't really know.

The league rankings are confusing and sometimes misleading, so let's just skip to the more accurate rankings.

Who's with me?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2012, 02:54 AM
RE: Can we see the Hidden Rankings?
(09-22-2012 10:00 PM)billwake Wrote:  I keep hearing about how the hidden rankings are more important than the league rankings and points, so can we just show the hidden rankings as the true way to see who are the best players? After all, that's what we're all trying to do- truly be better than our competitors.
I disagree on several points here. I play Outwitters for fun and not for the comparison with others. Leagues are there to give me entertaining matchups.
Displaying the hidden rating really doesn't help - firstly, it wouldn't be hidden anymore, but secondly - and this is more important - it's not like a numerical value that you can easily sort. It has long been rumored that Outwitters employs a system similar to SCII where there is not only a skill rating but also a confidence rating (i. e. how confident is the system in your current skill rating). Even if these were both sortable, numerical values would you strictly sort by skill rating? Is confidence unimportant? And so on and so forth. Not to mention that these values are highly relative and their meaning is constantly shifting - not really good for a thing to display to an uninitiated user.

(09-22-2012 10:00 PM)billwake Wrote:  The league rankings are confusing and sometimes misleading, so let's just skip to the more accurate rankings.
I agree with the premise, I disagree with your conclusion. Points can be improved to have meaning.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-23-2012, 04:55 AM
RE: Can we see the Hidden Rankings?
Rather than display hidden ranking, they just need to make the league rankings more meaningful with bonus pool (see SC2). They mentioned they would add that sometime down the road. I just hope that is sooner rather than later. This way points will give you a good idea of how you compare to other people in your division and when you are likely to get promoted. Currently, as you accurately stated, points are often misleading and don't really give you any information on your progress and chance of promotion (or demotion).

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user