Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using landscape to your advantage?
05-07-2012, 11:37 AM
RE: Using landscape to your advantage?
(05-07-2012 08:20 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  Fundamentally, this is a matter of taste and opinion. Harti said it quite nicely (or Blizzard did) "Easy to learn, hard to master". I believe in that concept, especially for mobile games. I can explain the rules of Outwitters to you in less than 5 minutes - try that with UniWars. If you find it enjoyable to be challenged by the ruleset of a game, that's fine, but it would scare a large portion of potential players away on iOS.
"Thank you for downloading XYZ - before you start, we strongly recommend you read this short 20-page manual to familiarize yourself with all the rules of the game. ..." -> close -> delete -> forget

There will never be a golden strategy (which defeats everybody). Every strategy has its weaknesses and risks. I would agree with you if we were talking about AI opponents, but Outwitters is all humans. You never know what your opponent is up to in that Fog of War...

Your points are valid - to attract a huge audience, Outwitters should have little to no barrier of entry.

There are basic manuals for games on the PC/consoles - but it is there as a guide to begin the game, and not used to fully involve every mechanic of the game. I'm a bit concerned that after you do explain the rules of Outwitters to me in 5 minutes - there would be nothing more the game would offer.

Anyhow, this thread originally began as an inquiry but I suppose it has became more of a suggestion thread. Hopefully OML may look into adding a few features onto their maps in the near future.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2012, 12:21 AM
I'd actually love to hear the 5 minute recitation of the rules, lol. The articles I've read are a little vague.
05-09-2012, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2012 11:42 PM by onealexleft.)
(05-08-2012 12:21 AM)ArtNJ Wrote:  I'd actually love to hear the 5 minute recitation of the rules, lol. The articles I've read are a little vague.

The high level rules (not including edge cases for certain unit types, and win conditions):
1. you are given 5 'wits' per turn to spend anyway you want
2. you can save wits across turns
3. it costs 1 wit to move and 1 to attack.
4. your minion can only move and attack once per turn
5. You can add new minions to the board through the spawn tile (each minion costs a different amount of wits)
6. you can claim bonus wits per turn by controlling certain tiles on the map
6. Attack the enemy base to win!

The craziness and variety comes from the different unit types and their strength/weaknesses.
05-09-2012, 11:52 PM
(05-09-2012 11:41 PM)onealexleft Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 12:21 AM)ArtNJ Wrote:  I'd actually love to hear the 5 minute recitation of the rules, lol. The articles I've read are a little vague.

The high level rules (not including edge cases for certain unit types, and win conditions):
1. you are given 5 'wits' per turn to spend anyway you want
2. you can save wits across turns
3. it costs 1 wit to move and 1 to attack.
4. your minion can only move and attack once per turn
5. You can add new minions to the board through the spawn tile (each minion costs a different amount of wits)
6. you can claim bonus wits per turn by controlling certain tiles on the map
6. Attack the enemy base to win!

The craziness and variety comes from the different unit types and their strength/weaknesses.

Is there any limit to how many wits you can save/use? Or can you save 15 wit, and devastate an attacking force by using a single high damage unit 15 times?

Why "wits" as oppose to mana, gold, action points or...er...anything else?
05-10-2012, 01:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2012 01:56 AM by Kamikaze28.)
(05-09-2012 11:52 PM)ArtNJ Wrote:  Is there any limit to how many wits you can save/use? Or can you save 15 wit, and devastate an attacking force by using a single high damage unit 15 times?
As you can see from the rules Alex posted, every unit can attack only once per turn. You can use as many wits as you have and nothing in these rules would indicate an upper limit for wits, so ... go figure.

(05-09-2012 11:52 PM)ArtNJ Wrote:  Why "wits" as oppose to mana, gold, action points or...er...anything else?
Because the game is called Outwitters and not Outcasters, Outspenders or Outpointers.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2012, 01:58 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2012 01:59 AM by Harti.)
(05-09-2012 11:52 PM)ArtNJ Wrote:  Is there any limit to how many wits you can save/use? Or can you save 15 wit, and devastate an attacking force by using a single high damage unit 15 times?
As Alex already stated, you can't use a unit more than once, that is, if you moved and attacked with it once (2 wit), you cannot use it for the remainder of the turn.

And about Wit... I personally do like the sense of creativity. As opposed to mana or gold. Tongue

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
05-10-2012, 06:06 AM

There isn't a limit, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing to save up. There is a bit of an RTS-like 'timing' element in this regard. If you save up wits, that leaves you open to attack for a few turns that an opponent can possibly exploit and vice versa. Also, you can only use each unit once per turn, so you couldn't use a single unit 15 times.
05-13-2012, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2012 11:27 AM by Solan.)
(05-09-2012 11:41 PM)onealexleft Wrote:  3. it costs 1 wit to move and 1 to attack.

With moving, does it cost the same amount of wits to move any amount of spaces? I don't know how far stuff can move (guessing that a runner can move more than a heavy), but for example would it cost just one wit for a runner to move 5 spaces or just 1 space? or is it 1 wit per space?
05-13-2012, 11:37 AM
(05-13-2012 11:26 AM)Solan Wrote:  
(05-09-2012 11:41 PM)onealexleft Wrote:  3. it costs 1 wit to move and 1 to attack.

With moving, does it cost the same amount of wits to move any amount of spaces? I don't know how far stuff can move (guessing that a runner can move more than a heavy), but for example would it cost just one wit for a runner to move 5 spaces or just 1 space? or is it 1 wit per space?

It's one wit per movement, regardless of how far.