Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.36 Average
Outwitters WORLD CUP Winner - Alvendor (SWEDEN)
10-04-2012, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2012 08:36 PM by awpertunity.)
RE: Outwitters WORLD CUP - Group Play
(10-04-2012 01:09 PM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  Ok, I can report the conclusion of my last match with furrysox. He resigned on turn 25, but I would have won on turn 26...

P1 furrysox
P2 GreatGonzales
GreatGonzales
Sweetie Plains
25 turns
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YqMmrAQw

I guess I made I in???

Sure did! Clinched first in your group even! Smile

(10-04-2012 05:14 PM)Samura| Wrote:  As we're now approaching the knockout stages, just a couple of considerations before we kick off. The key issue is how the ongoing beta test affects the knockout games (I think a fair number of players in the knockout stages are involved in the beta). Points to consider:

1) there are a few bugs resulting from changes in the beta server which are 'leaking' over to the live servers (as posted by ArtNJ) - it looks like the latest patch has fixed the 2 most pertinent ones, but not sure if anything else could pop up

2) I'm not sure how much of a distraction for players involved, who'll be switching back and forth between servers, playing the game with altered game dynamics... plus obviously trying to contribute to the beta test for the next week or two (I'd say there would be some distraction but overall manageable)

3) the beta changes are likely to go live by the end of this month:
a) new team (as mentioned earlier in this thread) - this is something we can easily exclude for the remainder of the tourney
b) FTA fix - this will affect all new games started and therefore if the tourney continues before the live update, we need to be careful to ensure all games are started properly before the fix, so we don't end up with some games being affected and others not (I suppose it should be fine to start a new round with everyone equally affected)
c) the trial extra wit for kill (as mentioned in ArtNJ's post about bugs) - let's not discuss any details and merits/cons here, it's only a trial feature and we should leave that discussion to the beta forum. The important thing for the purposes of this thread is that if it is implemented, there could be profound implications for the tourney as we could be mid-way through games when suddenly the mechanics of the game changes dramatically. Changes that affect how you would have played the game to that point.

I think the last point 3© is my biggest concern. One option might be to postpone the start of the knockout stages until we know what beta changes will make it into the live server.

Extra wit for a kill? Is that actually a "feature" or just a bug? If that gets implemented mid-game that would definitely be a game changer..

Regardless, I think we still have some time before having to worry about the new changes being implemented. With testing still going on who knows how long it could take before we see all the new features. It's true we may not have enough time to make it through the entire tournament in time, but as long as each round starts with the same rules/mechanics, that would be acceptable in my opinion.

We know it takes around a week (at least) for an update that OML submits to Apple to be released, so when that announcement comes hopefully everyone will be able to finish their current round in that time.

That said, I know some players have already started their matches so we should at least go through with the Round of 16 matches and we'll see how close the beta features are to being implemented.

Congratulations to all the players who have made it into the elimination round! And to the ones that did not, do not worry! So far I'd say this tournament has been a success, and I now have a template for the standings/details pages that I had to make! We can definitely have another tournament with the new Veggienaughts in battle when they are available!

Players who have made it, check the STANDINGS page and start your matches!. Remember that in the case of a 1-1 tie, the player that advances is the one who won in less turns! That means, don't resign! That can only hurt you! Never give up, never surrender, and fight to the death!

Match reporting should be completed in the same manner as we did in the Group Play around. Additional commentary on your match would be appreciated by spectators! These do not have to be overwhelmingly detailed. Perhaps commenting on certain turns or a turning point in a game and your thoughts might be nice.

Now let's see which country takes the first Outwitters World Cup!

We have the following number of representatives from each country fighting for the cup!

6 USA
2 AUS
1 HKG
1 CAN
1 SWE
1 FRA
1 JPN
1 KSA
1 AUT
1 GBR

GOOD LUCK!
Find all posts by this user